Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-17-2015, 05:28 PM   #1

Need a reality check on screen doors of new Whitehawk

Neither screen door of our new 2015 Whitehawk 23MBH fit snugly against the door frame. I have attached a pic of the back door ( the pic has somehow been turned 90 degrees) which illustrates the gap at the top right of the door when viewed from the side. The gap is about half an inch at its widest point and extends about a foot down the frame, decreasing until the screen door and frame finally do meet. The front door has a similar, but lesser, issue, same location. It is as if the doors have warped and are bowing out from the door frame at the top right. All other edges are sitting flat against the frame. It certainly would not pass muster at home as the mosquitoes will be able to drive the proverbial through the openings...but is this common on travel trailer screen doors? DH did attempt to adjust at the hinges but it seems to be the door itself, rather than its alignment. Are our expectations too high?
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0216.jpg  
Samsvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:19 AM   #2

Sam my first thought is your not level.. doors are a big indicator of this.. If I am not perfectly level my screen door catches on the bottom and my shower door wont open..
93/2020,157/2019219/2018 206/2017,215/2016, 211/2015, 196/14, 247/13, 193/12

Seann45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 09:36 AM   #3

Could be slightly bent screen door frame. Not really common, but also not un-heard of. Dealer should have caught it during PDI.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:28 AM   #4

My screen doens't fit perfectly either. Mostly depends on how level I am set, and more importantly how much tension I have on stabilizers jacks at each corner. If one corner get a little more pressure, that can have affect on how square door frames are.

On a side note, this is why I stopped using a cordless drill to engage the stabilizers. I was having a devil of a time getting each corner close in tension. Doing it by hand adds a minute or two to setup, but I can better control the tension.
2012 Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
clubhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 12:24 PM   #5

Thanks to all. After reading your replies, it occurs to me that if we get the trailer to the point where the doors are closing, then read the trailer's position, we should know if we have a problem- if closed doors = unlevel trailer, we have a door problem. To the point on cordless drills....thanks for the tip. Guess what we were shopping for yesterday?? Also- we probably should have caught it as well during the walk-through but honestly, our heads were spinning. We get to go back to the dealer in a few weeks for a sink replacement and a slight fix to the newly adjusted slide so can get them to look at the doors. Just didn't want to be greeted with a "it is just a trailer after all" comment.
We have been boaters and wilderness beach campers for years so this is all quite new to us. We love advice. All comments gratefully received.
Thanks again. Sam
Samsvan is offline   Reply With Quote