Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 09-07-2012, 06:54 PM   #31
Senior Member
 
mrnoyb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMMFAM View Post
Mrnoyb, how do you like the 2012 chevy? I've wondered if upgrading from my 2008 with the 4-speed tranny to the 6 speed tranny would be worth the trouble. I could wait 2-3 more years and get the diesel I want or I could trade now or within a year and just get another gasser.
I've logged 7300 miles so far and towed the White Hawk for 3500 of those. Average fuel economy has been 12.3 MPG. So far my truck has performed flawlessly. As you might expect climbing 6-7 % grades is the only time I've ever felt having more torque would be useful. It only takes 5-10 minutes to crest most mountains and during the climbs the powertrain maintains 4500 RPM and during the summer heat the transmission temperature peaked at 225 degrees, neither of which is close to redline. I exercise patience and fall in behind the semi's. Any other time my pickup hums along at 2200 RPM with the trailer in tow.

__________________

mrnoyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #32
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3
NEED ADVICE!!!! We are currently shopping for a new travel trailer. We have been looking at numerous of trailers for around 8 months. What started as fun has turned into a nightmare. Of all the trailers we have looked at our favorite seems to be the Jayco Eagle 308rets. It has a uvw of 7660 and a hitch wgt of 990. It seems that all the trailers we have been interested in are very close in wgt. 6800-7800 lbs empty. Our biggest concern is our tv 2009 Ram 1500 5.7 3.92 rear axle. My concern is with my rear susp. being too soft. Is anyone on the forum towing a trailer of this wgt w/this truck?? Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.
__________________

mikep64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:33 AM   #33
Senior Member
 
JAMMFAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 147
"Weigh" to much trailer for a half ton, JMO. My trailer UVW was 5800 lbs. leaving factory and can go up to 7500 lbs. with a hitch weight of 695 lbs. But starting out at a weight of 7660 lbs. and then going up from there, man I just wouldn't feel comfortable. Good luck.
__________________
2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.3/ 3.73 Tekonsha Primus brake controller
2011 JayFeather Select 29L
Husky Centerline WDH
w/ active anti-sway
JAMMFAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 09:25 AM   #34
Senior Member
 
Boubou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 626
Not a TT but we tow a 5W Eagle HT 23.5 with a dry weigh of 5800. Got to dealer at 6500 and loaded, no water, we are up to 6800 lbs. we have a 2010 Ram 4X4 quad cab Hemi and it tows great. I don't feel like the truck is overloaded at this weight but I would not add an extra 2000 lbs. I think that wathever dry weight you see inspecs (not yellow sticker), add another 1000 lbs.
__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle HT 23.5
2010 Ram QC 1500 Hemi
Sheltie, Chihuahua and Terrier/Chihuahua rescue
http://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:11 PM   #35
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3
Thank you both for your replies. I guess I should have said my biggest concern is the hitch wgt. I have used the truck to pull a 28ft enclosed trailer loaded with race car, parts, motors etc and 2500lbs of tools and box that sits in the nose of the trailer. The loaded trailer weighed in at nearly 10000lbs. the 5.7 hemi had no probs. The prob was with the rear sag. I don't want to run down the road with the rear bumper on the ground and steer tires off the ground. I know there are weight dist hitches. never having used one of these hitches I can't hardly believe they can move all that much wgt. I have logged over 4 million miles in 30yrs at a gvw of 80,000lbs but not with a 1/2 ton lol. Heavy wgt is not new to me. I'm really wanting to know if I can make the truck sit close to level when pulling a trailer with a hitch wgt of 900+lbs. also we are not going to be pulling the trailer everyday. We are going to use it for work and will be sitting on locations for weeks at a time. We are wanting to purchase a trailer next week at the Dallas RV show, so please keep the comments and opinions coming. Thanks very much
mikep64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #36
Site Team
 
Crabman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia`s Eastern Shore
Posts: 14,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep64 View Post
Thank you both for your replies. I guess I should have said my biggest concern is the hitch wgt. I have used the truck to pull a 28ft enclosed trailer loaded with race car, parts, motors etc and 2500lbs of tools and box that sits in the nose of the trailer. The loaded trailer weighed in at nearly 10000lbs. the 5.7 hemi had no probs. The prob was with the rear sag. I don't want to run down the road with the rear bumper on the ground and steer tires off the ground. I know there are weight dist hitches. never having used one of these hitches I can't hardly believe they can move all that much wgt. I have logged over 4 million miles in 30yrs at a gvw of 80,000lbs but not with a 1/2 ton lol. Heavy wgt is not new to me. I'm really wanting to know if I can make the truck sit close to level when pulling a trailer with a hitch wgt of 900+lbs. also we are not going to be pulling the trailer everyday. We are going to use it for work and will be sitting on locations for weeks at a time. We are wanting to purchase a trailer next week at the Dallas RV show, so please keep the comments and opinions coming. Thanks very much

Your loaded hitch weight will likely be considerably more then the 990 dry hitch. Also all passengers and gear in the truck count against the payload which IMO is the achilles heel of the half tons, I now own both a 1500 (1400lbs payload) and a 2500 (3400+lbs payload) an there`s no comparison in the weight BEARING abilities of the two, not as much as the highly touted tow rating. I think your concerns about the soft suspension on the 1500 with that much hitch weight are well placed, I felt like I was maxed out with my combo which has a 900+ loaded hitch weight. I had to use Timbrens to supplement the rear suspension on the 1500, but still was not satisfied.
__________________
2017 Coachmen Catalina 283RKS
2004 Chevy 2500 HD CC 6.0l
2010 Jayflight 28BHS (sold)
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:47 AM   #37
Senior Member
 
Boubou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 626
I use Timbrens and they work really well. Easy install and no worry or air leak or adding/removing air. Air bags will bring you back all the way up but like I said, not worry free like Timbrens. These will not add payload but will level the truck up
__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle HT 23.5
2010 Ram QC 1500 Hemi
Sheltie, Chihuahua and Terrier/Chihuahua rescue
http://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:07 AM   #38
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 3
thanks again for the quick responses. i agree that the tembrens are worry free, but how is the ride????
mikep64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #39
Site Team
 
Crabman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Virginia`s Eastern Shore
Posts: 14,654
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikep64 View Post
thanks again for the quick responses. i agree that the tembrens are worry free, but how is the ride????
On mine there is a 1.5" clearance between the Timbrens and the axles when the truck is empty so the unloaded ride is unaffected.
__________________
2017 Coachmen Catalina 283RKS
2004 Chevy 2500 HD CC 6.0l
2010 Jayflight 28BHS (sold)
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #40
Senior Member
 
Boubou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
On mine there is a 1.5" clearance between the Timbrens and the axles when the truck is empty so the unloaded ride is unaffected.
X2 unloaded ride is the same and loaded, ride is great not harsh at all. I cannot compare to airbags, I have never tried them.
__________________

__________________
2013 Jayco Eagle HT 23.5
2010 Ram QC 1500 Hemi
Sheltie, Chihuahua and Terrier/Chihuahua rescue
http://3dogsandacamper.tumblr.com
Boubou is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia State Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.