Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-19-2013, 07:10 PM   #1

Question Need advise - Swift 264BH

My wife and I are about to pull the trigger on a 2014 Jay Flight Swift 264BH, but before we do that, we'd like to hear any suggestions, pros and cons from any owners out there. Our unit will have both the Customer Value Pkge and the Convenience Pkge. We are also upgrading the A/C to 15K. Out tow vehicle is a 2002 Yukon with the factory towing pkge. I do plan to use a weight distribution hitch with it.
We're moving up from a 16ft trailer, and can't wait to start "moving in"! All the extra space will be awesome! We have already planned to escape the Texas heat and enjoy the the cooler temps of the Dakotas in August.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for your help.
pawpaw
pawpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #2

The 264BH is basically a Flight 26BH with a few down graded features. There are are plenty of 26BH users here, including me, that can answer any questions you have. We bought our trailer earlier this year and love it!! Upgrading to a 15K air conditioner is a smart move in that Texas heat! Do you have kids? If so, I'd opt for the full upper bunk instead of the half bunk and cabinet option. I'd also suggest a power tongue jack. What size engine in the Yukon?

Pros: easy to set up once you have done it a few times
storage
nice size for a family of 4

Cons: a bit cramped between the kitchen and dinning seat
no lights in the cargo holds (just add your own LED battery operated lights)
factory mattress a bit uncomfortable
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 05:16 AM   #3

Thanks for the information. The trailer has the double upper and lower bunks, and the power tongue jack (it's part of one of the upgrade packages). I noticed that there were no lights in the storage areas, and was considering the lights you mentioned. Do you get enough light with those? I assume you mounted one on each side of the front pass through area, and one in the rear area. We also plan to get a mattress topper for the bed.
As for the engine in my Yukon, it's 5.3L with a cold air kit. Other than that, it's stock. Do you use a weight distribution hitch? Which brand?
Thanks again for the feed back
pawpaw
Old 07-20-2013, 08:40 AM   #4

I bought a 3 pack of lights and mounted two in the front storage and one in the rear. The battery lights are adequate but I'd like to replace them with 12v lights eventually. I use a Fastway E2 hitch the dealer installed...no issues so far.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:04 PM   #5

I just noticed your username, Iraqvet05. Thank you for your service!
Old 07-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #6
Site Team

Welcome to the forum, Pawpaw. That floorplan is one of if not the best selling Floorplan Jayco offers. Many 26BH owners here.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #7

We purchased a 2.5" mattress topper on Amazon (<$100) that has worked wonders for the mattress.

And, as an afterthought i wish we had upgraded to the 15k AC, because our unit has had to work overtime this summer if we do not get at least a partially shaded campsite.

We really enjoy our unit, but as the kids grow, that middle section is startin to seem a little smaller each trip out . This is our starter trailer, and i couldn't have asked for a better starter. We probably going to upgrade in the next 12 months or so, waiting for the DW to decide how big she wants to go, and if a new TV will be required.

2012 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH

Reese Pro Series WDH w/ sway control 1000#
Mikey72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:40 AM   #8

Thanks to all for the comments!

We did it - we bought the 264BH yesterday! Can't wait to take delivery and hit the road. Our first trip will be to Mount Rushmore and maybe Yellowstone while we're up in that area of the country. We'll be traveling from the Houston, TX area, so this will be a nice, long trip. We plan to do an overnight "test" near the house before we hit the road to be sure everything works and we have all the things packed we need.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #9

Good choice of trailers pawpaw...we have really enjoyed our 264bh that we bought new in 2011 but, as mikey72 pointed out, it would be ideal with a slide-out for the middle section where traffic seems to build up and as the kids get older. That would be about my only complaint and that was due to my simply overlooking a slide-out at the time of buying our first tt.

2012 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Z-71, 6.0L, Crew Cab w/3.73's
2011 Jayco Jayflight Swift 26BH
38 Nights Camping in 2017
newrvguy68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #10

We bought a 26BH last month and pulled it with our Tahoe - very similar setup as yours. That being said, I did not feel comfortable as I towed and actually now have a Nissan Titan that has about 3,000 lb more tow capacity. I will be towing with it this weekend and am curious if it will provide the additional confidence I'm looking for.
Sic 'em Bears!
SoTexJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 09:48 PM   #11

Congratulations on the new trailer! My wife and I recently purchased the same one and we love it!

The only issue we've had is with the front bed. I have yet to encounter anyone else with the same problem but since your first trip will be longer and further from home I would definitely check it out. Here is the link to the problem I had and my simple and cheap solution.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...-(and-similar)

Don't forget to post pics when you pick it up.

Happy Camping!

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L
2013 Jay Flight Swift 26BH
BubbaJBI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 05:11 AM   #12

Thanks BubbaJBI! My wife and I did purchase the trailer and took it out for a test last weekend. YES! The bed needs some help! I'm going to do what you did to brace it.

Thanks for the idea.

We also had a much more serious problem that I discussed in a new post called "Big problem with new 264BH".

2014 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew cab with 6.2L and max tow package
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 329BHU
2020 Starcraft Autumn Ridge Outfitter 182RB
Cypress, TX
Old 08-05-2013, 03:34 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpaw View Post
Thanks BubbaJBI! My wife and I did purchase the trailer and took it out for a test last weekend. YES! The bed needs some help! I'm going to do what you did to brace it.

Thanks for the idea.

We also had a much more serious problem that I discussed in a new post called "Big problem with new 264BH".
WOW! Who would think to check something like that on a BRAND NEW trailer?!? I know what I'm doing this weekend. I did install my own stablizer jacks because the dealer was going to install them with self tapping screws and I wanted them thru-bolted. Seemed ridiculous to me but I guess they figure if it's good enough for the tanks then it's good enough for the jacks.

2003 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L
2013 Jay Flight Swift 26BH
BubbaJBI is offline   Reply With Quote