Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-29-2018, 07:58 PM   #21

Glad you're back on the road. Hopefully the rest of the trip will be uneventful.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:25 PM   #22

KDT Towing & Repair out of Augusta. They had the supervisor out doing calls because they were so busy. Nice guy that got right to it.
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:38 AM   #23

Could you post how much this repair cost. The reason is to give a comparison to how much the roadside insurance costs. So far in 40 plus years I have only had one tow. I have changed tires because I dropped coverage but each time I wished I had it. Always in bad road areas and hot days.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 01:31 PM   #24

I try to be as self-reliant as possible, but in this case I was not prepared to help myself. It was also getting really hot and my family (and two Saint Bernards) were getting a bit desperate heading into a weekend before a holiday. I paid $200 to get back on the road, but that reflects roadside service. Since I have a trailer there shouldn't be too many reasons to need a tow in the future so not sure I would get insurance anyway. I'm sure there are threads here on that topic and I will review for more opinions.
Gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 02:42 PM   #25

I use a motorcycle jack for my TT.
I just put it close to wheel under axle and raise wheel just off ground. I had to replace my good year endurance tire about 10 miles from dealership.

I took a corner a bit sharp and cut the side wall on debris that was left on a curb. When I got home the tire was loosing air. I noticed it and only had my motorcycle jack in my garage. It worked so good to replace that tire it is now standard equipment during my trips. I also carry a tool kit.

My wife gives me crap that half my truck bed is tools, jacks and a 4ft ladder. I would rather have to many tools than not enough :-).

I just got back from Branson. I am in MN. The roads were bad up here. Farther south they were better. Luckly my trip went great with no problems.

I tested out my BlueOx Sway Pro during the trip back. Winds were very strong and I am very happy with the Blue OX. I dont have anything to compare it to but it worked great. I tow 29BH WhiteHawk with a RAM 1500. I had no problems at all. Trailer towed great.
mia389 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 04:24 AM   #26

I'm not to far off the TP in Ohio if you have any issues coming back through to MN. Shoot me an email if I can help.

2019 Whitehawk 28RL
2018 Ford F150 3.5 Ecoboost w/3.55

Dennis, Cindy, Philip, and Sarah
Ohiofinlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 05:59 AM   #27

Gryphon,

Glad to hear you’re back on the road, and nothing major happened!!!

In regards to a jack kit, I put one together that uses a 4 ton bottle jack, and some 2x8s (may be 2x6s, would have to double check) that store in a Home Depot homer tool box that’s ~$9.

The bottle jack sits to one side, and three of the boards are cut to fit inside the tool box in the space left. Then one board is cut in half.

I use these boards along with the 2x10s I use for leveling when camping to build a ramp for the good tire. 1-2x10x ~25, 1-2x10x~18, then stack the tool box 2x8x on top. Barely have to lift the axle with the flat off the ground.

Kind of like the trailer jack aid ramp. But this way both axles still support weight since it’s not quite tall enough to raise the flat tire off the ground.

Sorry I don’t have a pic showing the “ramp” put together. All the boards are angle cut except the one on top (that’s cut in half) in the tool box. The “half boards” are used to support the end of the angle cut boards as they hang off the board below.
Attached Thumbnails
21DB5C75-B67F-439B-A959-60E9A15C30DC.jpeg  

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:25 PM   #28

I’m sorry to hear of your problem Gryphon. Once you get your rig straighten out please let us know what the fix was. Hopefully it is a simple fix and you’ll be back on your way
centurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:31 PM   #29

Could it be a broken shock absorber mount?....its not the shocker dragging on the ground?
Paul Greig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 01:32 PM   #30

Used this a couple times, super easy and no effort

http://www.trailer-aid.com/
Prodigy Brakes
robo59097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:31 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon View Post
We traveled from Minnesota to Maine this week with our 267 BHSW. Late yesterday we hit a pothole and now stranded in Waterville, Maine. At first it sounded like a flat tire, but all four tires holding air and none feel loose when you push/pull on them. Nothing looks broken or out of order as far as wheels/axles. The hubs were not getting hot while we limped to our current location.
The noise changed to a grinding squeal over a few miles and clearly something that wants to be turning freely is now grinding away. Stuck in place with family and dogs waiting for businesses to open so I can arrange some repair help.
Any recommendations for service providers in this area?
Thanks
I would go with brake shoe or wheel bearing, but I'm sure when you get it sorted out we would all like to hear what the problem turned out to be.
scapel is offline   Reply With Quote