Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-12-2015, 05:37 PM   #1

need help from 154BH experienced owners please...

I am about to place an order for 154 BH.

Can you please list things that this coach is lacking so that I can address that with the dealer before ordering ?

Once I place order with the options, there is no turning back, so I need to know now please...

One thing that I wonder, is that small side mounted a/c cool enough for hot 100 plus Texas weather where we plan to go this summer ? Have you gone to the 100 plus degree summer trip before ?

Again, I need help before I put in the options.

Is the 2 back only stab jack enough ? or should I put 2 more on the front ?
pawntan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 05:37 PM   #2

Or if you have similar small Jayco trailer, please help me also with the options
Old 02-12-2015, 05:39 PM   #3

any known weak spot ? leaking vulnerable ?
Old 02-12-2015, 08:37 PM   #4

We bought a 195 last year, which is similar. We specifically bought it for the side mounted AC because we didn't want a unit on top that could cause problems with leakage and low branches. Never hit 100 degrees, but for the small size of the trailer it really got it pretty cold.

We had them throw in front stabilizers and I wouldn't have it any other way. Also had them throw in a generator at a wholesale price because we boondock 100%.

Be sure you get a full deep cycle battery. I didn't think about it ahead of time and got a marine dual purpose ( I just assumed they would provide the correct one).

Other add-ons were tire covers and Max Air Roof vent covers. Wouldn't be without them either.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 08:57 PM   #5

On the stab jack,
can you please let me know what happen if we don't have dual front jack ?
I walked in this morning and could not tell the difference

On the battery,
can you please explain the advantage of deep cycle compare to marine dual purpose ? And where in Jayco spec says that I should get the deep cycle ?
Old 02-12-2015, 09:46 PM   #6

http://www.eastpenn-deka.com/assets/base/0149.pdf , This explaines deep cyle, marine and dual pupose.

2011 Ranger Sport
brianca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:11 PM   #7

I currently have the 154BH Baja Edition. The advantage to the baja is bigger gray and black tanks and also bigger fresh water tank for more time out boon-docking. it also has full sized tires full wrapped diamond plating and sealed underbelly to protect more. also has a larger LP tank. It also came with 4 stabilizers 2 front 2 back, i couldn't be without the front jacks make a lot of difference. it was well worth the extra money for the Baja Edition. LOVE IT
MikeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 10:39 PM   #8

I have the 184BH. Only slightly larger than the 154. I was ready to sign in the line in a 154 before I finally decided on the 184.

Just a thought, the price is probably the exact same or close. The 184 is only 200 pounds heavier. Having the couch and the extra storage beneath the couch is awesome. Without the couch, it is pretty much an eat in or sleep in only place. Plus, you have a little bit of room to put place things ( not on a bed). Just something to think about.

Now, if you think you are gonna boondock, get larger tanks. Our tanks are only good for 4 days max.

If you plan on going over any kind of terrain at all... Even large curbs, have the axle swap done ( unless you have the skills to do it yourself later). I did the axle swap and I LOVE it!

Anti-sway hitch and /or weight distribution hitch. Even if you don't go for the Weight distribution hitch, get the curt anti-sway bar ($35-45 in Amazon).

RV carpet.

Sewer hoses included.

Front stabilizers.

Front stabilizers.

Front stabilizers!

Our camper has a 5000 btu AC and it is barely enough in Missiuri Summer. I believe that now they are putting 8000 btu ACs in now, you'll be fine.

I recommend for the single axle, get a BAL leveler. Way better than using Lynx or wood to level.

Great little trailers. I've had mine 3 years and I've pulled 6-8000 miles.

X

2017 Jayco 287BHSW
xkuzme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:24 PM   #9

Buying a 184BH this weekend. What is the axle swap all about? What does it do and why do it?

Thanks in advance.
blackfly53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:24 AM   #10

Blackfly-
More clearance under the TT to get over more types of terrain

2006 Chev Silverado Z-71 5.3L H.O. w/ Trailer Pkg

Tekonsha Primus IQ Controller
Roadwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:25 AM   #11

.....Standard on the Baja's

2006 Chev Silverado Z-71 5.3L H.O. w/ Trailer Pkg

Tekonsha Primus IQ Controller
Roadwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 11:39 PM   #12

The axle flip would essentially make it the same height as a Baja I take it.

Thanks for the info!
blackfly53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:17 AM   #13

Yesterday we bought the 184BH Baja Edition TT. We chose this because we like to boondock at our property. We had the dealer add a solar panel and deep cycle batteries. I cannot answer about the AC capabilities. All I can say is that it blew really cold air on our pre inspection - but it is February. Also, I would add the stabilizers. You will be glad you did on your trip. I would look at features that can be added to fit your camping style.

Good luck.
Baja dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 09:26 AM   #14

Yesterday we bought the 184BH Baja Edition TT. We chose this because we like to boondock at our property. We had the dealer add a solar panel and deep cycle batteries. I cannot answer about the AC capabilities. All I can say is that it blew really cold air on our pre inspection - but it is February. Also, I would add the stabilizers. You will be glad you did on your trip. I would look at features that can be added to fit your camping style.

Good luck.
Baja dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:51 AM   #15

My 145RB is very close to your 154BH. The 8,000 btu wall A/C is more than enough for a small TT. And it runs on a small generator or house circuit when the roof A/C will not. I got the front stabilizer jacks also and do not regret. Added a Vortex fan to the bath vent; 12 volt power was only inches away at the bath light.
Homersimpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 12:25 PM   #16

I have a 2012 154BH and it suits my needs just fine. I live in Colorado, so the need for an AC is minimal, although we did use it during the solar eclipse up in Wyoming this summer and it kept the insides of the camper very comfortable. I like having the AC side mounted instead of on the roof, for all the reasons stated previously.

Axle swap, sometimes called a spring over, involves mounting the springs to the top of the axle. I had it done by my Jayco dealer for a cost of $200. I kept the same wheels and tires, but no longer have clearance problems with driveways, off roading, etc.

I also added front stabilizer jacks ($75.00 through my dealer), which makes the camper much more stable when parked.

I see the previous posts are old, so I hope you've already gotten your 154BH and have had good success with it.
Kent Drummond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 05:24 PM   #17

We bought an early 2017 195RB in 2016. I wish we got the Goodyear Endurance tires. We added at the dealer as part of the deal - bed lifters and front stabilizers. I also bought a 27 size battery and they installed in the dealer included box. I installed a power tongue jack that really helps with connecting my Andersen Hitch ( witch really is nice with that size trailer).
I later installed my bath vent fan and covers on the vents. Not a big deal. Also added electronic thermostat that holds the temp with less temperature variances.
I wish I had known about the Baja tanks. Would have been nice to have more storage available.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 06:41 PM   #18

Be sure you get the 3500 lb axel ( see previous thread) and it should be NO CHARGE since 3000lb axels seem to have problem. Larry