Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-29-2020, 08:33 PM   #1

Need Help - Hot Water Tank

Hi there, I’m out in the bush right now (boondocking) with my new 2020 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 8 264BH. Of course, I left the user manual at home (2.5 hours away). I filled my fresh water tank but how do I make sure my hot water tank has water? Is there a valve? I’ve followed the lines and can’t seem to find one. I turn the hot water faucet on in the kitchen and water comes out - is that pulling from the hot water tank or fresh water? I just don’t want to burn out or damage anything with the water heater. Your assistance is appreciated from this newbie!
JohnnyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2020, 08:45 PM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Your hot water could be on bypass or not, since it's new. Not familiar with your rig, but the bypass vales might be behind what looks like a vent grill inside the rig. Look around the outside of the rig for the water heater access cover. The bypass valves should be on the inside of the rig in that location. In my rig, it's under the fridge, and I need to take a vent panel off to get to the valves.

Once you find that, you can determine if water is going through the water heater, by the direction of the valves. An alternate test to see if the water heater is filled is to open the access panel on the exterior, and give a little pull on the pressure release valve to see if water or air comes out. That will tell you if the tank is full.
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 03:17 AM   #3

By pass valves are DIRECTLY behind the WH. Find the WH access panel on the outside then go inside and find the WH at that location. It will be hidden. You can have 1, 2, or 3 valves to do the bypassing. If you don't know weather the heater has water in it DO NOT turn it on. You will burn out the electric element.

Valve handles in the same direction of the pipe is open. Valve handle 90 degrees to the direction of the pipe is closed.

And you didn't practice all this in the driveway at home Why?

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 06:41 AM   #4

Thanks! It’s been resolved. They were directly behind the HWT. The valves were parallel with the hose, so I thought it was open but they had to be turned to be 90 degrees to open. I should have practiced, I had assumed it would’ve been easier to locate (my dad has a 2000 Eagle and his are way easier to locate). Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:12 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Thanks! It’s been resolved. They were directly behind the HWT. The valves were parallel with the hose, so I thought it was open but they had to be turned to be 90 degrees to open. I should have practiced, I had assumed it would’ve been easier to locate (my dad has a 2000 Eagle and his are way easier to locate). Thanks for your help! I really appreciate it.
That is true if you have only two valves. if you have 3 the center one needs to be opposite of the other two. Is it working now???

2011 Keystone Sprinter 323 BH
Cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:52 AM   #6

Yup! It is working. Thanks So much!
Old 05-30-2020, 08:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyD View Post
Hi there, I’m out in the bush right now (boondocking) with my new 2020 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 8 264BH. Of course, I left the user manual at home (2.5 hours away). I filled my fresh water tank but how do I make sure my hot water tank has water? Is there a valve? I’ve followed the lines and can’t seem to find one. I turn the hot water faucet on in the kitchen and water comes out - is that pulling from the hot water tank or fresh water? I just don’t want to burn out or damage anything with the water heater. Your assistance is appreciated from this newbie!

you can download your user manual from jayco.
since your unit is new, maybe it was never winterized and you filled for first time maybe??
might get mama to hold your beer and open water heater hatch and give a small tug on the blow off valve on top of tank---- HOWEVER!!! if heater is on and the hot water hits skin, better cool it down quick with that cold beer before it blisters
seriously, the pop off valve at top is made to release dangerous pressure and also can be used to bleed air or check fullness of tank

whatever you do, be careful and have fun
Larro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 08:30 AM   #8

My hot water heater, drain valves and pump are all located behind a panel. I had to unscrew it to get in so often that I took it off and added hidden hinges to make it into a door. So much easier then getting out the peanut head screwdriver every time. Plus the holes were getting worn out after only a few times.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote