Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-02-2011, 12:43 PM   #1

Need help: Sub-freezing temps & living in RV

Currently we are parked in Huntsville, TX. (2/1/2010) Overnight tempuratures were sub-freezing.We are currently at 25 degrees Fahrenheit at 11:00am.
Before freezing temps arrived, we filled up our freshwater holding tank, and drained all water lines. We disconnected our outside water hose from the outside faucet and drained it. We left our low point drains opened (except for our freshwater tank).
We currently have the water heater on and we do have hot water. We also have our water pump switch on and it's functioning. Our freshwater in the freshwater tank does not appear to be frozen.

Problem: Is this the best way to handle our water lines while occupying our RV in sub-freezing weather?
Also, when we went outside to close our low-point water drains, the valves are frozen open, and there may be water frozen in the lines. How did this happen when we have the drains opened? Do you think putting a hairdryer on them will help thaw them out?
We are expecting sub-freezing temps this whole week so any advice you can give me about occupying an RV in sub-freezing weather will be greatly appreciated. I've only seen information about winterizing an RV, not actually information on what to do while still living in an RV during sub-freezing weather.
Thank you so much for any advice. We are newbies at this forum and at living in our Jayco TT, and we love it.
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #2

Hmmm...

Well it depends on where all your plumbing is at. Is all of it visable inside the RV like under cabinets and such? If so you shouldn't of had to drain the lines but you be sure you water tank is filled and heater is running.

But that pose a possible problem is the tanks covers and do you have a skirt around the trailer? If so your most likely fine...

As for the low point drains I would heat them up with a hair drier and close them again.
Mopar1973Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVChick View Post
Currently we are parked in Huntsville, TX. (2/1/2010) Overnight tempuratures were sub-freezing.We are currently at 25 degrees Fahrenheit at 11:00am.
Before freezing temps arrived, we filled up our freshwater holding tank, and drained all water lines. We disconnected our outside water hose from the outside faucet and drained it. We left our low point drains opened (except for our freshwater tank).
We currently have the water heater on and we do have hot water. We also have our water pump switch on and it's functioning. Our freshwater in the freshwater tank does not appear to be frozen.

Problem: Is this the best way to handle our water lines while occupying our RV in sub-freezing weather?
Also, when we went outside to close our low-point water drains, the valves are frozen open, and there may be water frozen in the lines. How did this happen when we have the drains opened? Do you think putting a hairdryer on them will help thaw them out?
We are expecting sub-freezing temps this whole week so any advice you can give me about occupying an RV in sub-freezing weather will be greatly appreciated. I've only seen information about winterizing an RV, not actually information on what to do while still living in an RV during sub-freezing weather.
Thank you so much for any advice. We are newbies at this forum and at living in our Jayco TT, and we love it.
Not to worry. 25 is not low enough to harm anything really. Your drain valves are just frozen open. Heat the valves and close them. As long as you have an enclosed underneath, your pipes will be fine. We camp in colder temps with pipes full and do just fine.

Tom
altar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:53 AM   #4

I FT in my Designer and I fill my fresh tank and unhook the hose when it is going to get below freezing and live off of the fresh tank. I do keep the water heater on and have had no problems down the 13 degrees so far this winter. If memory services the Polar Pack is supposed to work down to zero degrees. I hope I never find out.

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50X, TST Systems 507 TPMS, RV Flex Armor Roof
edatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 08:46 AM   #5

Welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum RVChick! Are you traveling or just spending a few days camping out? Other than the freezing concerns, hope you have a nice campout!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:06 AM   #6

Thanks so much for the help and advice!

To all,

Thanks for the welcome! And for all the advice and assurance that we are on track with our water lines during sub-freezing temps. We were able to close our lines after we thawed out the valves. So far all is OK. We're expecting another night of sub-freezing temps with snow. It will be interesting cause I'm personally a warmer weather chick.

Thanks again!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:19 AM   #7

Yeah cold... It only +19*F here...
Old 02-03-2011, 04:07 PM   #8

Dang, when it is that cold, I think we are all warmer weather folks. I'm from Florida and retired to Georgia and it is dang cold here! lol

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 07:34 PM   #9

Moderator... Clean up on post number 7...:hihi:
Old 02-03-2011, 09:27 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar1973Man View Post
Moderator... Clean up on post number 7...:hihi:
That map looks like Walt Disney threw up.

Richard and Laura Ray
Amateur Radio W4RLR
"The Green Goblin" 2008 F-250 Lariat CC SB, 6.4 liter automatic, 4x4"Love Shack" 1995 Jayco Eagle 277 RBSS fifth-wheel
rray32539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:06 PM   #11

I have the Polar Pack on my Pinnacle and am living in -15 to -30 weather in Northern Albert. The Polar Pack is not enough I had to insulate with extra bubble wrap insulation all round the skirting to keep heat in but we are connected to a city fixture all winter and are ok now.
Trizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:45 PM   #12

I have camped in a pop up with temperatures down to 0 and have not had a problem with freezing any of the water lines. I filled the fresh water tank, did not use a hose and kept the inside of the trailer at 65 but all the water lines were in the inside of the camper
slabat is offline   Reply With Quote