Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2013, 08:27 AM   #1

Question Need help with leak! 7yr old tt

My 2006 Jayco 29 BH is leaking in the front corner by the receptacle and wall cabinet. I can pull the receptacle out of the wall and find the insulation wet, as well as the wall board. This is what I have done this far to try and correct the problem: When I initially found the problem I thought is was leaking at the trim piece between the metal and roof. I removed the trim piece, pulled back the roof membrane and removed the damaged wood. I went back with l/4 inch Luan and sealed it back up. I put caulking underneath the trim piece, put in new screws and ran the eterna- bond tape all the way across the the top of the trim piece. We're out on a week long trip and a couple of rains under our belt, and still have the same problem. Any suggestions? Please help!

Bruce
Bruce and Becky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:35 PM   #2

Did you check other vents, AC, antenna, for seals? How about around windows, marker lights?
bradsr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:41 PM   #3

I had a leak at antenna handle. Sealed that with self leveling caulk by Dicor. Also checked there Website for info.
bradsr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #4

I did check the other vents and antenna. I actually put the eterna bond tape around the antenna and it caused the water to dam up and leak. I removed most of the tape and its fine. It wasn't leaking before, I should of left it alone. We did have to tighten the Allen screw on the handle. The marker lights may be an issue. I've decided to take it to a Jayco dealer when we get back. We bought it used and it probably needs to be gone through anyway. Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 07-04-2013, 10:08 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Check along the roof/side wall joints where the gutter rail is attached. If moisture is getting trapped behind the gutter rail it will find its way into the wall structure vis the screws that hold the gutter rail in place. Remove a couple of these screws and see if they show signs of rusting. Also, if you have the TPO type of roofing material (Jayco used it around 2003 to mid 2007) it has a fleece backing and will wick moisture over a large area.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 10:46 AM   #6

Bob,
Thanks! I will check those screws. I do have roof with the fleece backing. I found that when I did the initial home made repair. Do you think the TPO roof will continue being a problem? I wonder if Jayco or the manufacturer would help with this? I have heard there is a ten year warranty on the roof.

Bruce
Old 07-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce and Becky View Post
Bob,
Thanks! I will check those screws. I do have roof with the fleece backing. I found that when I did the initial home made repair. Do you think the TPO roof will continue being a problem? I wonder if Jayco or the manufacturer would help with this? I have heard there is a ten year warranty on the roof.

Bruce
My understanding is the roof warranty is not transferable. I was told this by jayco when we sold our 2007 17C Ex-port last year when the buyer asked about it. "The warranty is only honorable to the original purchaser" is what customer service told me.

Mark
HD Trailering Package with Integrated Brake Controller

Camping Couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #8

Okay, thanks for the information. I did find rusty and loose screws. I wrapped the screws with a small amount of eterna-bond tape for a temporary fix until I get back home to work on it.
Old 07-08-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce and Becky View Post
snip......Do you think the TPO roof will continue being a problem? I wonder if Jayco or the manufacturer would help with this? I have heard there is a ten year warranty on the roof.....snip
Bruce,

The TPO roofing material is a great tough product as long as one can keep moisture away from the fleece backing. As far as the 10 year warranty, that applies only to the TPO manufacturer's roofing material only, not the TT structure.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote