Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-08-2018, 04:38 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Carlosrod Send a message via MSN to Carlosrod Send a message via Yahoo to Carlosrod
Need Help with Thermostat

Hello Zoo.

Hope everyone is doing well and enjoying their camping season. We have been, but have a bit of a dilemma with our Dometic thermostat and it seems to be winning the battle. I've taking it to the dealer and been told that it's working fine, just off a few degrees and as a result, they will not replace.

I've decided to replace the thermostat on my own but have noticed that it’s a three-wire system, Red, White and Blue wires. Must've been a patriot who installed it. I’m guessing one will run the ac, the other the furnace and one will be a common wire. Anyway, I’m looking at a Honeywell type thermostat but was wondering if anyone has replaced theirs and can give me an idea of how to wire. Most thermostats I’ve seen (Home) have 4, 5 or 6 wires. Right now, I’m at a lost and can’t figure it out.

TIA for the help.

I don't have a PhD, but my DD-214 is worth much more.

Live, so that when your children hear the words “Ethics,” “Integrity,” “Honor” or “Trust,” they think of You!
Carlosrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:09 PM   #2

Check into installing a digital RV thermostat (Coleman Digital). I believe it is a wire-for-wire swap. Ours has been very accurate and is so much better than guessing at the settings with the analog thermostat.

OOPS EDIT: As norty1 pointed out, it may not work with a Dometic
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 05:18 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Check into installing a digital RV thermostat (Coleman Digital). I believe it is a wire-for-wire swap. Ours has been very accurate and is so much better than guessing at the settings with the analog thermostat.
Coleman may not work with a Dometic. Do some checking before purchase.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:39 PM   #4

It is 12v +
12-
Comm wire.
It requires the thermostat and controller to be a matched pair. Wires nothing like a standard t-stat without a major rewire.
o2silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:09 PM   #5

I use one of the most inexpensive digital t-stat's that honeywell makes and it is very good and I have stopped using my Fluke meter to tell me the temp. You can use the wire diagram that comes with the thermostat, you will use the three wire diagram and install the jumper on the common. I always have extra battery's because they always go out when you need it the most. Just read the instructions and you wont have a problem. It is just a thermostat a switch that opens and closes. Your old stat will most likely show what is hot and cold and common. They will give you stickers to put on the wires. I have a Jay Flight.
CoCanCarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:11 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Carlosrod Send a message via MSN to Carlosrod Send a message via Yahoo to Carlosrod
Old Man,
Yes, I want to replace with a digital and one that displays ambient temperature. Not very impressed with these Dometic units.

Live, so that when your children hear the words “Ethics,” “Integrity,” “Honor” or “Trust,” they think of You!
Old 07-08-2018, 08:15 PM   #7

CoCan,

If you don't mind me asking, is your AC unit a Dometic unit and if it is, what model tstat are you using?
Thanks.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:18 PM   #8

I use one of the most inexpensive t-stat's that honeywell makes and it is very good and I have stopped using my Fluke meter to tell me the temp. You can use the wire diagram that comes with the thermostat, you will use the three wire diagram and install the jumper on the common. I always have extra battery's because they always go out when you need it the most. Just read the instructions and you wont have a problem. It is just a thermostat a switch that opens and closes. Your old stat will most likely show what is hot and cold and common. They will give you stickers to put on the wires.
I have a Jay Flight.

Sorry about the double post. I use this one.
https://www.target.com/p/honeywell-1...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
Old 07-08-2018, 09:00 PM   #9

It is a dometic 13,500
Old 07-08-2018, 10:40 PM   #10

Awesome. Thanks for the quick reply.

Old 07-09-2018, 04:57 AM   #11

The new style domestic t-stat can not be replaced with a residential stat with out rewiring on the roof. The 3 wire rv configuration uses the communication wire to send a signal to the unit for all operations. A standard stat needs a wire for each operation. The roof top controller then interprets the signal and turns on the fan, a/c or furnace. The older units where easily replaced with a standard stat. The new 3 wire are not that simple.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:39 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2silverado View Post
The new style domestic t-stat can not be replaced with a residential stat with out rewiring on the roof. The 3 wire rv configuration uses the communication wire to send a signal to the unit for all operations. A standard stat needs a wire for each operation. The roof top controller then interprets the signal and turns on the fan, a/c or furnace. The older units where easily replaced with a standard stat. The new 3 wire are not that simple.
This. x2
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:59 AM   #13

A digital thermostat was my BEST upgrade:

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 03:25 PM   #14

So, basically, I'm up the creek without a paddle and looks like I have to replace it with the same brand and model.

Old 07-09-2018, 03:30 PM   #15

Thanks for the video, Wanderlust. But that's not going to help. I'm trying to replace a digital unit that came with the camper, but Silverado makes a lot of sense.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosrod View Post
So, basically, I'm up the creek without a paddle and looks like I have to replace it with the same brand and model.
At this point the only option is the non touch screen version. But it is essentially the same stat.