Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2016, 09:59 PM   #11

Yellow sticker weight on our 28BHBE is 7189lbs with propane and 1 battery. We generally travel with full FW as we exclusively boondock. Our average travel weight is 8800lbs. Our rig is a 3500HD Silverado SRW. Tongue weight is approx 1200lbs. Engine is a 6.0l gasser and she tows like a champ. We have the Anderson hitch rated at 1400/14000lbs. This suits our needs very well.
Good luck with your hitch decision and I know you will enjoy your 28BHBE.
Happy Camping

Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:10 PM   #12

Northern Jay, why is your empty weight so heavy? Do you have fiberglass sides, 2nd AC, etc.?

Never mind...just saw that your model does have the fiberglass :-) .

glbtrekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:20 PM   #13

Yes we do. And the Elite and Thermal packages. We enjoy all the comforts of home when camping. Up here in Canada we do need to run the furnace in spring and fall. We burn up a lot of propane (sometimes 60lbs in a week long trip) we travel with the propane on, when at campsite we fire the HWT and it stays on for the entire trip. We use grey water to extinguish the daily campfire as well. We feel that the TT was designed to carry full water tanks as I think full is better than all the sloshing of partial full. I also have a dump station in my yard so we will pack our waste water home rather than line up at the dump station. (I wait for no man... always for DW tho )
Happy Camping
Andersen Hitch.
'07 Northern Lite 10-2RR Camper.
SuperSprings.
Northern Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by glbtrekker View Post
Thanks for the detailed information about the differences between the WDH's, that helps. And I'm working on quotes now :-), one "wholesale" dealer recently quoted me $18,008 for a 2016...didn't think that was too bad.
That is right on the money @ 35% off retail which is $27,800 before options. You are on the right track.
King Bed with Java Interior, (2X) Yamaha EF2000isV2
2012 Ram 4500, 6.7L Cummins Turbo Diesel, MegaCab = "Hagrid"
8'x12' BMCM Stake Bed, Cabin Chassis, 2WD
360 degree Virtual Tour
Fairenatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:19 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by glbtrekker View Post
Thanks for the detailed information about the differences between the WDH's, that helps. And I'm working on quotes now :-), one "wholesale" dealer recently quoted me $18,008 for a 2016...didn't think that was too bad.
YW!!! I have used the Reese DC (original u bolt model and new version) without any complaints. And a buddy had the Equal-I-Zer 4 way system, no complaints there either. You can't go wrong with any of those three. While I don't have any first hand knowledge of the Reese SC system (Motorbreath referenced this also), I did talk to a guy that had the system for an enclosed trailer he hauled a drag car in. He said he had absolutely no complaints. Would buy the SC model again without hesitation! As Motorbreath mentioned, the SC model uses a brake pad type pad (replicable) for the friction against the bars. I almost went with the SC (even having owned the original DC) because of the easier set up, but in talking to Reese they swayed me (pun intended) into the DC again. We pretty much pack the same way in the trailer, so I wasn't concerned about needing to re-adjust the DC. Only thing that does vary is if we take firewood and how much we do take depending on how long the trip is. I do try to keep the firewood as close to the cab as possible though. I do need to check the set up in the spring after adding the rear cargo hitch/bike rack/bikes.

The only complaint I guess I could say about the DC is the dealer did not mount the cam arm brackets like they should have on the trailer tongue. Brackets don't sit quite right. I will be looking at what I can do come spring when our trailer comes out of winter hibernation.

What is the msrp of the trailer optioned the same way per Jayoc's website? You should be able to get close to if not 30% off msrp (pretax, title, license, etc), possibly more. Can't recall the exact % off we got, but it was just over 30% if I remember right. That included the Reese Dual Cam (1500lb bars) w/ the Reese Titan 2.5" shank.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 11:28 PM   #16

Sorry GLB, quick side note to Jay!

Have you considered using some electric heaters instead of the propane if you have electric hook up? Could save some propane that way. HWT doesn't have electric? I usually keep our hwt on electric, and if more than one shower is needed, will turn the propane on also to help keep up.

Also, I know the yellow sticker weight includes propane, but I have never been able to find out for sure if it does include the battery weight or not. Seems there is not 100% consensus. An email to Jayco may be needed...

Back on track! Lol

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
28bhbe, chevy express, hitch