Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-07-2017, 12:29 PM   #1

NEED QUICK ADVICE for generator decision

All,

I currently have a PowerHorse 2000w portable generator for fair-weather camping, tailgating, softball, etc. I have been considering a bigger inverter generator (~3000w range) to run the AC during these events in the heat of the summer and for emergent power needs during storms, etc.

Well, Hurricane Irma is about to whip SC's ass, literally. Being a "Hugo Survivor", I know we're likely going to need a generator for some period of time so I am expediting my acquisition timeline to tomorrow morning. As luck would have it, EVERYONE in SC is buying generators right now because of said storm so the Supply/Demand curve just went right off the chart. Just like milk and water, generator availability is now non-existent.

Here's where y'all's collective advice comes in. I do have an opportunity to purchase a Honda EU3000iS at as reasonable a price as you can expect a Honda to be. What I have yet to uncover is if it will actually meet my expectations of running my AC. My 28BHBE has dual ACs; a 13500 btu (secondary) & 15K btu (main). I am not foolish enough to think it will run both. Based on some initial digging this morning, I am now disappointed to learn it may not run the main 15k unit at all. Can someone (preferably who owns an aforementioned Honda) speak to whether or not a 3000w range generator will run a 15K AC?

Thanks in advance.

shrp
shrpshtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrpshtr View Post
All,

I currently have a PowerHorse 2000w portable generator for fair-weather camping, tailgating, softball, etc. I have been considering a bigger inverter generator (~3000w range) to run the AC during these events in the heat of the summer and for emergent power needs during storms, etc.

Well, Hurricane Irma is about to whip SC's ass, literally. Being a "Hugo Survivor", I know we're likely going to need a generator for some period of time so I am expediting my acquisition timeline to tomorrow morning. As luck would have it, EVERYONE in SC is buying generators right now because of said storm so the Supply/Demand curve just went right off the chart. Just like milk and water, generator availability is now non-existent.

Here's where y'all's collective advice comes in. I do have an opportunity to purchase a Honda EU3000iS at as reasonable a price as you can expect a Honda to be. What I have yet to uncover is if it will actually meet my expectations of running my AC. My 28BHBE has dual ACs; a 13500 btu (secondary) & 15K btu (main). I am not foolish enough to think it will run both. Based on some initial digging this morning, I am now disappointed to learn it may not run the main 15k unit at all. Can someone (preferably who owns an aforementioned Honda) speak to whether or not a 3000w range generator will run a 15K AC?

Thanks in advance.

shrp

Buy it!!
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:13 PM   #3

As somebody that has owned Champion, Generac and Honda generators, I will never buy anything other than a Honda again. Totally worth it.
Equal i zer 10k w/sway control
Wife, Kid, Entlebucher
EV4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 02:27 PM   #4

Honda doesn't have a 30 amp RV hookup!
Progressive EMS Hardwired
Beautiful Wife and Beautiful 11 YO Daughter
Standard Goldendoodle and Miniture Poodledoodle
Kahoneys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:02 PM   #5

The 3000is doesn't have a 30 AMP plug you are correct. It can also only handle a 13.k AC unit. I have a 2000i and a 2000 companion that I can tie together with a cable and the 2000 companion has the 30 AMP connection on it. I run my 15k trailer AC on that all the time with no issues. I like using the two 2000 watt units because when I don't need AC I can just take one generator with me.

Hope that helps
Equal i zer 10k w/sway control
Wife, Kid, Entlebucher
EV4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:43 PM   #6

I bought 2 Honda EU20001companions and a patch kit. So I can use 1 or both. Depending on the need
Russell
12ptdroptine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:08 PM   #7

I also bought the 2 pack Honda EU2000. They are lighter than the 3000, more fuel efficient, especially when you only need to run 1 for battery charging . If you have a hard start kit installed on one of your A/C units you may be able to run it on one. I have a Coleman 15k A/C unit and the single companion unit with 30amp plug will run it with no problem all day long. Biggest advantage for me is they are much quieter and much lighter. With an extended fuel system, they can run a couple days without refueling. If you need to move it in and out of your rig, this is the best choice in my opinion.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2017, 01:03 PM   #8

Ditto on the 2 Honda's. I have one 2000 and one 2000i Companion with the connector cord. I can handle moving them around with no help and have more power when the two are connected.

And they run forever on a gallon of gas.
Mbranscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:06 PM   #9
dee

I have one of the newer champion 3500 inverter generators(dual fuel). It runs my 15Kac just fine on both gas and propane(2800W).
dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 02:09 PM   #10

This guy was asking for quick advice as he had a last minute opportunity as a hurricane headed his direction. It was do it or pass as he didn't have any other opportunities in the time window he was dealing with. Wonder what he did.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
This guy was asking for quick advice as he had a last minute opportunity as a hurricane headed his direction. It was do it or pass as he didn't have any other opportunities in the time window he was dealing with. Wonder what he did.
Didn't have a chance to follow up yesterday. The hurricane took a major westerly shift and now SC is pretty much in the clear of any real danger. Our subdivision is new and has underground power all the way from the main substation that feeds our area so we don't often lose power (knock on wood) except in the worst conditions. Without the weather threat, the urgency to purchase dissipated so I passed on the Honda. I am sure it would have done fine but it is just too close to being maxxed-out with my rig and other needs. I have really been wanting to try the Harbor Freight Predator 3500w inverter generator(s). I know it's the same size but it's a lot less risk at $700. If it doesn't pan out, I can use a parallel kit on it to get to 7000w or will likely go with the two Honda eu2000 setup for the convenience(s) everyone mentioned before.

Thanks everyone for the quick input.

shrp
Old 09-09-2017, 08:08 AM   #12

Glad you expect to be safe from the storm! Be sure to research sound. A 65 db is much louder than a 55db as an example. I think national park maximum is around 60db.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2017, 08:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrpshtr View Post
Didn't have a chance to follow up yesterday. The hurricane took a major westerly shift and now SC is pretty much in the clear of any real danger. Our subdivision is new and has underground power all the way from the main substation that feeds our area so we don't often lose power (knock on wood) except in the worst conditions. Without the weather threat, the urgency to purchase dissipated so I passed on the Honda. I am sure it would have done fine but it is just too close to being maxxed-out with my rig and other needs. I have really been wanting to try the Harbor Freight Predator 3500w inverter generator(s). I know it's the same size but it's a lot less risk at $700. If it doesn't pan out, I can use a parallel kit on it to get to 7000w or will likely go with the two Honda eu2000 setup for the convenience(s) everyone mentioned before.

Thanks everyone for the quick input.

shrp

This is the one I went with. It didn't seem as risky as the HF, and HD had it for around $800. It's 3K, runs the whole trailer easily and also runs on propane. The propane only puts out 3K while the gas puts out 3.4. Propane runs all night though. It's pretty quiet and the elec start works great.

Champion Power Equipment 3,400-Watt Dual Fuel Push-Button Electric Start Portable Inverter Generator with Parallel Capability-100263 - The Home Depot
deewaltguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 08:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by deewaltguy View Post
This is the one I went with. It didn't seem as risky as the HF, and HD had it for around $800. It's 3K, runs the whole trailer easily and also runs on propane. The propane only puts out 3K while the gas puts out 3.4. Propane runs all night though. It's pretty quiet and the elec start works great.

Champion Power Equipment 3,400-Watt Dual Fuel Push-Button Electric Start Portable Inverter Generator with Parallel Capability-100263 - The Home Depot
That is another I am considering. Unfortunately I haven't seen it at the price you mentioned around here though. Hopefully I'll catch one on sale before I pickup the HF. I have heard A LOT of good things about the Champion.

The PowerHorse I mentioned in the OP has been AWESOME. I understand NT has a 3000w class Inv Gen now too for about the same MSRP as the Champion you mention. So far, I am very confident in that brand also.

Thanks for the recommendation.

shrp
Old 09-09-2017, 08:40 AM   #15

HD had the Champion on sale (all that Googleing paid off with a popup ad) and the same day I got a %10 off coupon in the mail from HD. Schwing! AT $800 it wasn't much of a gamble
deewaltguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:02 AM   #16

I have the Harbor Freight Predator 3500 watt generator and it works perfect. Great price too, right around $600. Comes with a 30 AMP plug for direct integration with the RV.
markscns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 10:07 AM   #17

I went yanaha 2400ishc. It runs the aircon and as happy as can be. Bit heavy tho n I suspect the Honda 3000 is even heavier lugging it in-out of your truck bed.
doonkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 11:36 PM   #18

I also have the Predator 3500. I'm very satisfied with it so far. It also seems to be quieter than my friend's Champion, that is like the one in the link above.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
ch.rungood is offline   Reply With Quote