Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-08-2018, 10:31 AM   #1

Need To Winterize In Texas?

My first post as a newbie travel trailer owner! I have a hummingbird 17RB.

When I did my walk-through with the technician last week, he mentioned that it "wasn't worth it" to winterize the trailer when it's being parked in my driveway. He recommended opening all of the drain lines to "give the moisture a place to go" but not bothering with antifreeze or blowing the lines.

We do occasionally dip below freezing in Central Texas but it's not common. It's usually only at night, typically just a little bit below freezing (a few degrees below), and only lasts for a few nights in a row max before going back to above freezing.

My questions:

1) Do you agree with his statement?

2) When do you pull the trigger on winterizing?? (What temp and for how long before it's a good idea?)

3) How often do you winterize? If I take the trailer out during the winter and don't dry camp, I assume I'd have to winterize each time afterwards if that's the answer?

4) Thinking into the future, if I am camping at a site in freezing conditions, what needs to happen (if anything) to prevent damage while actually using the camper at a site?

THANK YOU!
TrailerGuy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:37 AM   #2

It sounds like our winter weather is very similar and we have never winterized. Doesn't seem necessary if you live below I-10 (in most cases).
WinnieView is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:03 PM   #3

We are on camper #4 and what we have done in the DFW area is is open all the lines and drain everything but not the black tank, there isn't enough in there to cause a problem.

We used to blow all the lines via air but got lazy and just used the low drain points and let er drain. Remove the hot water heater plug and hold open the vent line.

We also use to put the pink stuff in the p traps but we don't even do that anymore. Probably should tho.

RR
rollingrockTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:52 PM   #4

Never winterized any rig. I do as others have said. Open up the low point drains, open the faucets and I drain the water heater. That’s it. Then when the weather warms up in a day, I’m ready to camp without any extra effort [emoji3]

Magnolia Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:40 AM   #5

I live in Boerne just south of Austin. I have had various travel trailers and fifth wheels since 1983. Never have winterized, just drain fresh water tank and open low points. I use my trailer during the winter some and don't want to go through elaborate winterizing. I did buy quick connect for fresh water lines and may blow them out and put some RV antifreeze in holding tanks if we have extended below freezing weather forecasted, or I may turn furnace on lowest setting and let it run. My trailer is next to my house so it's easy to monitor. I've never drained water heater. I know I know I am rolling the dice by not winterizing, but never had a problem.

2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins 5.0 diesel
elkivory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 09:39 AM   #6

I live about 4 miles south of IH 10 near San Antonio. I've done some manner of winterizing every year. Sometimes I just drain the lines if chances of freezing are pretty low before my next anticipated use. My normal process is to just blow the lines with air. It's easy and quick, and I'll dump AF in the tanks and sinks at that time. But I can remember a couple cold snaps where I've put AF in the lines just to be safe. Below freezing multiple nights with nasty weather during the day not warming up much, I could see the lines freezing, and it's not worth the chance to me.

All that being said, I was using my camper in Junction last year for a deer hunt. The temp dropped into the low 20s at night, and I froze the line between my fresh tank and my pump. Didn't break anything, but it did indeed freeze enough for no water to flow to the toilet when I got up for "nature's call".

I used to live in Austin, and there were a few times where I would have winterized a trailer if I'd had one.

Being stored on your property or in your driveway kind of changes things a bit though. You can leave heaters on, and you can put hot lights under the camper in strategic places for the one or two times where an extended hard freeze is a real possibility.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 10:57 AM   #7

Thanks everyone! Super helpful.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:45 PM   #8

I drain the potable water lines and blow them out. It's an eye opener how much water comes out after you think everything is drained. Black and gray tanks are left w/ very little in them, typical post-trip condition. A little RV antifreeze in the traps. Also blow out the black tank flush. We don't camp in winter so it's tucked away until spring. Those nights where it gets down to low twenties or high teens makes me glad I blew everything out.
Current TV: 2010 Chevy 2500HD, CC, LB, Duramax/Allison

mikefos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 04:52 PM   #9

Question - what does everyone mean when writing "traps"? :-)
Old 11-13-2018, 05:36 PM   #10

Anything that drains has a trap which is just a dip in the drain pipe so that water will stay in the pipe to prevent smelly gas from the grey tank from coming back into the RV. You have the same thing at home under your sink. You put antifreeze down the drain to prevent it from freezing and busting the pipe.
dartwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 05:53 PM   #11

Oh! Duh haha I knew that. But the traps are inside correct?
Old 11-13-2018, 06:38 PM   #12

I blew mine out yesterday. Camping over thanksgiving so I’ll do again afterwards. Poured anti freeze in p traps. Pulled plug in water heater.

2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins 5.0 diesel
elkivory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 06:53 PM   #13

I have been wondering the same thing about San Jose area. Quick question how do you blow out the lines and do you need a compressor to do so. Would the Viair compressor work for this? My trailer is in storage so I have no electric for it.
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote