Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-06-2017, 04:10 AM   #1

Never thought of front axle weight

I documented the weight of every major item I loaded in our TT and when I hooked up the weight distribution hitch everything sat all but perfectly level. Driving down the interstate everything is fine but I still wondered so I went to a scale and glad I did. I was 3,000lbs over Dodge's recommended weight for the front axle. Good news I am approx. 5,000 lbs to the good on over all weight and close to 2,000 lbs to the good on axle weight. I'll try the weight distribution chain on the 1st link instead of the 2nd one and get re- weighed. Best $11 I spent on this new purchase so far.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2017, 05:23 AM   #2

I never thought about the front this way. I have always followed the directions in the Equalizer manual for the front measurements when setting the WDH. I have also consulted Progress Manufacturing (maker of Equalizer) each time to verify my numbers and proper distribution. I guess my front axles are bearing an acceptable weight - but the only sure fire way to know is to do what you did on the scales.
FeatherFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 06:39 AM   #3

I've never seen a discussion on the matter and actually hadn't thought about it. They sure didn't mention it when I bought the camper, matter of fact they told me to use the 3rd link in the chain and that is what probably bent the saddle. I wonder what the weight on my front axle was that day.

Old 03-06-2017, 06:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodworker View Post
I documented the weight of every major item I loaded in our TT and when I hooked up the weight distribution hitch everything sat all but perfectly level. Driving down the interstate everything is fine but I still wondered so I went to a scale and glad I did. I was 3,000lbs over Dodge's recommended weight for the front axle. Good news I am approx. 5,000 lbs to the good on over all weight and close to 2,000 lbs to the good on axle weight. I'll try the weight distribution chain on the 1st link instead of the 2nd one and get re- weighed. Best $11 I spent on this new purchase so far.

You need to clarify what your weights are and what you are driving. If you are 3,000 over on the front and in a 1/2 ton, that's almost 200% of the FAWR. In a one ton, almost 150%. It drives fine? Then, the other numbers would make it seem so way over adjusted the front axle would have difficulty steering and driving. Post your actual readings on each axle and actual FAWR and RAWR.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kampfirekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 07:04 AM   #5

Dodge says front axle on my 2500 Tradesman 4x4 should not exceed 5,500 and I weighed in at 8,400 something. Don't have weigh ticket with me an don't remember the exact but it was over 8,400. No rear axle weight given I assume becasue either I didn't make myself clear to the lady or she just didn't take it, she was being an idiot about it to begin with. GAWR is 6,000lbs

Old 03-06-2017, 08:05 AM   #6

Ya, better check that ticket. I'm thinking there is zero change you have 8K Lbs on your front axle. Your unloaded truck weight is nearly 8K right?

Unless you have about 20 of your friends piled on the hood of your pick up, you can't overload your front axle like that.

UPDATE: We must have hit reply at the same time. After reading your newest post, I would check into that ticket.

Assuming your truck is a gas motor, the dry weight is pry around 6,500 lbs. With you, gas, and trailer loaded, it is reasonable to think your loaded truck weight is around 8,400 lbs.

Unless you have about 20 friends sitting on your truck hood, I think it impossible to have a front axle overweight by 3K lbs.
2015 Jayflight 28 BHBE (sold)
2009 Jayflight 26 BH (sold)
hboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:22 AM   #7

I would suggest weighing the Dodge alone to see where you are without the trailer. It would seem unlikely that 3000 lbs is being transferred to the front axle when the tongue weight of the trailer is probably closer to 1000 lbs. Find someone who can do individual wheel weights and knows how to do it. Check the RV Safety and Education Foundation for their weighing schedule.
Old 03-06-2017, 08:30 AM   #8

Was making my 2 trips over the scale with the new 5th. While I was unhooking for the 2nd pass I didn't notice a commercial rig was weighed. Picked up the tickets and hit the highway. The Bride was reading me the numbers and they just didn't make sense. When we stopped for fuel I took a look and discovered we'd gotten the wrong ticket. Are you sure you got the right one?

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:58 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I've never seen a discussion on the matter and actually hadn't thought about it. They sure didn't mention it when I bought the camper, matter of fact they told me to use the 3rd link in the chain and that is what probably bent the saddle. I wonder what the weight on my front axle was that day.....snip
Actually there are numerous JOF threads on the importance of TV front axle weights via the WDH adjustment process. The main design function of a WDH is to maintain a TV's front axle weight integrity (reference manufacture's owners manual when using a WDH) and only a CAT scale can confirm these results. WDH manufactures reference TV "fender heights" for adjustment, but this is at best a ballpark procedure because not all TV suspensions react the same.

CAT scale 'how to': http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...v-tt-3871.html

Also, over tightening the snap-up bracket (saddle) bolt can also cause it to bend over the TT A-frame.

I would ask your RV dealership for a copy of your model WDH installation instructions, or visit the WDH manufacture's web site and download a copy.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:02 AM   #10

Was this a CAT Scale (or similar) that had three scale pads, steer axle, drive axle, and trailer axle(s)? If so, I am going to guess you pulled just far enough forward that the rear tires were sitting on both the steer scale and the drive scale.

I would suggest reweighing as soon as possible. In the mean time, on a flat area if possible, with the tt unhooked, measure the trucks front wheel well height from the ground. Hook the trailer up and once the wd bars are hooked up, measure the same spot in the front wheel well again. Sbould be the same or the hooked up measurement should be slightly more.

Keep us updated what you find out!!!

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:14 AM   #11

I think your 8400# reading is the total truck weight. I can't see any possibility your front axle is over weight that much.

Go to a truck scale with 3 pads, 1 for front axle, 1 for the rear axle, and 1 for the trailer.

I think you will have different readings from the first one.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wireman View Post
I think your 8400# reading is the total truck weight. I can't see any possibility your front axle is over weight that much.

Go to a truck scale with 3 pads, 1 for front axle, 1 for the rear axle, and 1 for the trailer.

I think you will have different readings from the first one.
Agree with this ^^^
I don't see how you could be that far over with a TT. Now a 45ft 5ver maybe. Something does not add up.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:44 AM   #13

I did pull up to the front furthest front axle plate, she printed the ticket when I was there so I knew I had the right one but that's a great idea on measuring the fender space. I've talked with the manufacturer and have their directions and as far as the bent saddle they had no idea why it bent but they sent me a free pair when I sent him a pic. I was kind of baffled about the weight myself but it did bring about something I had not thought of. And thanks for the link, I'll look at that in a bit.

Old 03-06-2017, 09:49 AM   #14

That link explains it all with the weight transfer back to front now it makes sense. Next trip I'll do as it is explained in that post. Awesome information!

Old 03-06-2017, 09:50 AM   #15

Quote:
Dodge says front axle on my 2500 Tradesman 4x4 should not exceed 5,500 and I weighed in at 8,400 something. Don't have weigh ticket with me an don't remember the exact but it was over 8,400. No rear axle weight given I assume becasue either I didn't make myself clear to the lady or she just didn't take it, she was being an idiot about it to begin with. GAWR is 6,000lbs

Maybe you should try a different place to weigh it. Sounds like maybe the lady made a BIG mistake in weighing your truck??
jasum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #16

I doubt she pushed the button or whatever it is they do wrong but when I reweigh I definitely will go elsewhere just to avoid her attitude.