Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-10-2015, 07:05 PM   #1

New 19rd problems

Hello new to the forum, new to owning a trailer. We were excited to pick up our trailer from Lonestar RV on 45 North in Houston which left a lot to be desired as it turns out. Not impressed with the whole walk through. But I am mechanically inclined and can finger most things out with forums,youtube etc and asking others help. Well just got home and it pulled fine but when I went to back up it was making a metal clanking from the hubs either bearings or brakes so looks like I have to turn around and take it back. Or is there a Jayco road crew that would come out and do the repairs. Do not know if I should pull it back down there or tell them to come get it. I just know its not normal. Any advice experince would be appreciated. Thanks in advance Dan bummed out in Magnolia
handydan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:24 PM   #2

Welcome aboard.
You may want to wait till you have a bit from the many people here on this forum and perhaps describe what the noises you heard in more detail if possible.
Dual axle trailers tend to make metal clanking and popping sounds when you are backing them up, and it may sound like it is coming from the bearings or brakes. This could be possible and normal. Since when backing up, you are using a combination of the gas pedal and the brake pedal and trailer brakes being electric will be engaging and disengaging, which could be a metal clanking noise. Also, WDH bars tend to make noises as well, along with what I call the walking beams (that's what we called them when I worked on semi trucks dual axles (10 wheel dumps, etc.)) which is the bracket unit between the two axle springs. When backing up and turning, even small maneuvers they bind and make noises a bit. They will even do it moving forward. They are designed to do this.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:33 PM   #3

Thanks NVGUN I did a search after posting and came up with the springs and axle popping is common. I have a landscape trailer with dual axles but it never made all that noise. We love the new trailer and was kind of bummed but after reading the search I did and your response feel a little better thanks again. Anyone with the same TT have the same issue?
Old 06-10-2015, 07:38 PM   #4

Hi from another 2015 19rd owner.

Biggest head ache so far is the lack of kitchen counters.

A glitch with the fridge has been fixed.

Your own mechanical skills will serve you well over the time of your ownership of an RV.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 07:55 PM   #5

Hello Mike
So do your springs or axles pop when backing in at a turn? The salesman or make ready guy never mentioned it even after telling him we were first timers.
Old 06-10-2015, 08:11 PM   #6

I've heard that it is a common thing on tandem axle trailers when things get tight.

It hasn't happened to me, yet because I don't have the WDH set up and I use all the room I want to maneuver the trailer into a parking spot.

Our wilderness campsite has a circular approach.

At home I'm the one that has to fix the lawn, so I have no qualms about using them to make things easy.

And proud of it!
Old 06-10-2015, 08:15 PM   #7

I cut down a cutting board to fit the sink to make more counter space: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f3...mod-27604.html

And proud of it!
Old 06-10-2015, 08:17 PM   #8

Thanks Mike

I am thinking the WDH has something to do with it. Just trying to determine before morning if I have a real problem or if it is nothing to worry about. Going to load up tomorrow for a trip to the beach maiden voyage.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:21 PM   #9

Dan,

Welcome to the Forum!

WDHs make all kinds of noise when backing up. this is normal. when you get her packed up for your trip, pull it forward with someone listening and see if there is any noise and if so, where it comes from.

You might then back it up a little, turning it if you have room and again have someone listen for noise and where it comes from. If it is the WDH, have a great maiden voyage!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 09:50 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by handydan1 View Post
I am thinking the WDH has something to do with it. Just trying to determine before morning if I have a real problem or if it is nothing to worry about. Going to load up tomorrow for a trip to the beach maiden voyage.
Welcome to the forum.

Sometimes knowing what trailer and WDH you have will help folks give more specific information.

I have a Equal-i-zer brand WDH and they are known (notorious?) for the noises when backing up or making sharp turns... like in a campground. I believe that other brands with separate sway controls, the sway control should be removed before backing.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:11 PM   #11

The other thing that can make plenty of noise (At least it did on ours) was a dry ball/hitch. I dabbed a touch of grease on the ball as well as the WD sockets and that was the end of it.
Old 06-11-2015, 06:11 AM   #12

I have a Reese dual cam WD hitch and it can make all kinds of noises when backing up.
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 06:27 AM   #13

We have the same trailer, with the same noises. I think it is the WDH. It only happens when we are backing up, usually at an angle.
Old 06-11-2015, 11:26 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike837go View Post
Hi from another 2015 19rd owner.

Biggest head ache so far is the lack of kitchen counters.

A glitch with the fridge has been fixed.

Your own mechanical skills will serve you well over the time of your ownership of an RV.

Ha! I think my 19rd has LOTS of counter space. In my old tt, it felt like I was fixing breakfast in the sink. Guess its all relative.
jeeper182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 12:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeper182 View Post
Ha! I think my 19rd has LOTS of counter space. In my old tt, it felt like I was fixing breakfast in the sink. Guess its all relative.
Oh, yeah, I've got lots more counter space than my old trailer: 9"x18" vs. 2"x16"= 506.25% more countertop.

Adding the cutting board over the sink gives another 1,200% of workspace.

And proud of it!
Old 06-11-2015, 07:42 PM   #16

Another recommendation, not just for the noises, but even for a just in case scenario. If you have availability of a very large area, take the TT there and practice backing up with several different maneuvers. Listen for the noises, have the DW give practice giving you directions; get out and look at WD bars and axle positions at different points in turns so you have an idea of what looks normal.
If you want to take it a step further, another thing I recommend, is having the DW practice, hitching, unhitching, parking, backing and maneuvering on her own while you give directions. I did this with my DW. Couple of reasons. one, you never know what can happen. If there were to be some sort of accident, or something and you were incapacitated, she may be left on her own to get the rig hooked up and home. Or, two, as has already happened, we were in a time crunch to get out and get into a good site for trip out. I had to work later, so by the time I got home the DW had the TT all loaded and hooked up, ready to go. All I had to do was walk in, change clothes, get in the cab and leave.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 09:01 PM   #17

There is a lot of noise from the hitch. Grease the ball ever 1500 miles and if you have an equalizer brand hitch grease/lube the pivot joint at the knuckle. Lubing these two areas will reduce most of the noise.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote