Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-14-2016, 11:13 AM   #1

New 2015 26BHS

Hi all,

We picked up our first RV around last November, a new 2015 26BHS.
This site looks very knowledgeable so I thought I'd sign up.

We're excited to get out this year, but have a couple things to get couple things fixed.

The carpet on the slide being one of them. I'm not too sure what to expect for quality on trailers, but this one bugs me since it's the first thing I see stepping in the door. Is this a common issue?
It looks like the carpet might be fastened under the slide wall.

The only other issue being one of the hatches has a 1/4" gap when closed and the tech said the whole assembly needs to be replaced.

theoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:20 AM   #2

Hi to you. Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your Jayco.

You didn't say if your unit is still under warranty. If it is, check with your dealer about getting those items corrected. If it isn't, maybe someone on this site will have some suggestions.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 11:35 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Hi to you. Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your Jayco.

You didn't say if your unit is still under warranty. If it is, check with your dealer about getting those items corrected. If it isn't, maybe someone on this site will have some suggestions.
It was brand new so I'll have the 2 year Jayco warranty.
Originally, I was going to see if I could do the fixes myself and avoid going back to the dealer, but now I'm thinking I'll just take it in.

The tech who set up the WDH claimed he was the only Red Seal tech there and didn't set up the WDH correctly. Let us drive home the the rear end of the truck squatting badly, and even mounted the brackets on the trailer frame at different spacing, so I left with little confidence in their work.

I guess I'm wondering if the carpet expands and contracts at all (i'm assuming this was just a sloppy install at the factory).
Old 02-14-2016, 01:40 PM   #4

We also just purchased 2015 26bhs, new leftover. Waiting on delivery. Would be interested in any other comments on yours as this will be our first Jayco. We liked the floorplan of the 26bhs and its a little shorter than our old 30" bunkhouse. It came with a few more options than I probably would have ordered(elite package, fiberglass exterior) but price was good so we went for it. Anxiously waiting for delivery!!
spot9270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:30 PM   #5

Welcome aboard and congrats on new Toy
fielro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 03:34 PM   #6

Congratulations on the new TT and welcome! Sorry, can't help with your specific questions
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 04:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot9270 View Post
We also just purchased 2015 26bhs, new leftover. Waiting on delivery. Would be interested in any other comments on yours as this will be our first Jayco. We liked the floorplan of the 26bhs and its a little shorter than our old 30" bunkhouse. It came with a few more options than I probably would have ordered(elite package, fiberglass exterior) but price was good so we went for it. Anxiously waiting for delivery!!
We ended up with the Elite with fiberglass too.
We were originally going to buy a used trailer, but anything reasonably priced was '07-09 range. There wasn't much around here for sale privately 1-4 years old and if there was they were asking a few thousand below what I negotiated for a new unit.

The 264 or 26 BH's would have done the trick, but with young kids we figured the extra room of the slide will be nice.

The open floor plan is great, Jayco's 2 year warranty is a bonus and plywood floors too. The pricing seems competitive to other brands and a lot of the others just looked lower end.

Just gotta get used to backing up a trailer again.

I really like the neutral interior colors we got too.
Old 02-14-2016, 04:34 PM   #8

I just looked at mine and the carpet is not fastened under the slide wall. It's fastened around the perimeter on the inside. It appeares to be tucked under the left and right hand vertical frames. Now thats the easy part of this project but the rest is not really that involved it's just a little time consuming. As you know the carpet needs to be stretched so you need to remove the left side of the dinette seating and the 2 table floor supports but you can leave the right side in place (to hold the carpet down). Remove the sofa and now you just stretch the left & right side of the carpet, reinstall the left side of the dinette and the 2 floor supports and your done. I say less than 4 hours for this project.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:42 PM   #9

I took a look at the carpet and it did go under the slide wall. I took the trailer in for a number of warranty repairs.
You can see where it is sticking out from under there.

What is your guys' opinion of the carpet fix?
It looks fine when it's against the wall now.

They said they brought in a carpet layer. I believe he added the spike strip at the wall.
The carpet now lifts up as seen in the picture since the spikes weren't bent over.

What concerns me not being knowledgeable with carpet is the glue that has powdered off and the twine looking grid is now separated from the carpet.

I assume a certain amount of the glue would powder and the carpet would weaken faster than on a fixed surface because it's on a slide that retracts.

I opened my cupboards when I got home to let them breathe with our moist climate and found this overhead cupboard above the sofa now damaged.
I don't know if I can prove it was them or from flexing during my transport to the dealer.

Am I too anal about the repair? Would you guys leave it or complain?

Old 03-26-2016, 09:26 PM   #10

Anyone?
Old 03-26-2016, 09:51 PM   #11

You just spent 30k on a trailer, you have the right to be anal! The few things I've found wrong in mine I call about that same day. I don't care when it gets fixed but they are fixing it. Last year I let the list pile up and brought it in at the end of the season for the work to be done. (Obviously nothing major).
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 10:33 AM   #12

Of all the issues I found, the only one that bugs me is the carpet. I'm just worried about that the carpet might fall apart now that that glue is gone.

On the other hand, if I complain and they have to order a new carpet from Jayco, how are they going to install it properly given that the carpet from the factory was under the slide wall?

I guess this is a bit of a lesson for me being a first RV in that now I'm starting to see what defects these units come with and I would never take a new trailer home without them resolving PDI issues before taking ownership.

I don't know if I should email Jayco pics of the carpet and ask them in writing whether this is an acceptable warranty fix.
Old 03-27-2016, 01:47 PM   #13

Well, I have a 5th but my slide carpet looks like yours and that wrinkle would have made me crazy. Is the part that you are lifting up in the last pictures the same part that was wrinkled in the first pictures? I had never tried to lift mine before (I knew that part of the carpet slides over the other piece of carpet when I bring in my slide) but I just did lift it and it doesn't look anything like that but neither side of my slide goes clear to the wall like (it appears) yours does and of course the part of the carpet next to the wall appears to sort of go under the cabinets - I can't lift it up. I sure wouldn't like it if mine was left that way.
Max & Mocha May - Chesapeake Bay Retrievers
MzLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 05:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzLiz View Post
Well, I have a 5th but my slide carpet looks like yours and that wrinkle would have made me crazy. Is the part that you are lifting up in the last pictures the same part that was wrinkled in the first pictures? I had never tried to lift mine before (I knew that part of the carpet slides over the other piece of carpet when I bring in my slide) but I just did lift it and it doesn't look anything like that but neither side of my slide goes clear to the wall like (it appears) yours does and of course the part of the carpet next to the wall appears to sort of go under the cabinets - I can't lift it up. I sure wouldn't like it if mine was left that way.
It's the same piece of carpet. The dealer claims they brought in a carpet layer who pulled it tight and shortened the carpet.
You couldn't lift it before because it was fastened under the slide.