Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-05-2017, 08:09 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by warjayco View Post
Tomorrow should be fun...readjusting the WD hitch and a trip to the CAT scales. Our hitch angle is at 3 degrees while the eazlift rep said it should be at 7.I'll recheck hitch to make sure that im level too. Tongue weight check as well. Let's see how it tows afterwards...
Okay, hitch adjusted to 7 degrees, still not transferring enough weight to the front wheels. I'll post the numbers in towing section of the forum. Any feedback would be appreciated.
warjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 07:42 PM   #22

Well we were able to solve the sway issues (in large part) and have a much more tolerable towing experience...see photo (replaced Expedition with Ram as TV). Averaged 12mpg on a 700 mile round trip this weekend. Over the past 2 weeks since purchase, I've averaged 17-19mpg as a daily driver. Very satisfied with the truck's performance.

I continue to be underwhelmed by the Eazlift WD hitch. Camco is sending me a replacement shank after I contacted them regarding what I believe is excessive tolerance on the cast shank that I purchased as part of the WD kit. The cast shank left 4 indentations in my Expedition's receiver from the lateral movement. I still have some lateral movement in my Ram's receiver (yes w/ reducer). I'll try this new shank, if no better then I'll be looking to upgrade my WD setup.
Attached Thumbnails
20170904_095916.jpg  
warjayco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:04 PM   #23

[QUOTE=sennister;552341]
On the fuse, that is very common to pop it if you over extend the jack. We have been through two of them.

Some modifications we went with:

Hand bar on the screen door. Makes it easier to close it and you can hang a towel there to dry.

Battery cut off switch installed in the lid of the battery box.
QUOTE]

I also found that the hand bar on the screen door was handy.
I also attached a bungee cord to the door so the wind wouldn't blow it open and slam against the side of the trailer.
I had trouble with a jack not working correctly and found that the jack was under powered so had them put in an new one and no more problems.

This thread has some very nice comments. Thanks a lot.
Oh, I keep my trailer connected to electricity while it is stored in the back yard under a shed. Is it OK to let it stay plugged in to keep the battery charged. I also let the AC run on occasion during the summer and during the winter keep the temp inside the trailer at about 60 F.
I just run it on a 30 amp breaker.
Any comments are appreciated.
scapel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 08:30 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by scapel View Post

I also found that the hand bar on the screen door was handy.
I also attached a bungee cord to the door so the wind wouldn't blow it open and slam against the side of the trailer.
I had trouble with a jack not working correctly and found that the jack was under powered so had them put in an new one and no more problems.

This thread has some very nice comments. Thanks a lot.
Oh, I keep my trailer connected to electricity while it is stored in the back yard under a shed. Is it OK to let it stay plugged in to keep the battery charged. I also let the AC run on occasion during the summer and during the winter keep the temp inside the trailer at about 60 F.
I just run it on a 30 amp breaker.
Any comments are appreciated.
Do you have a 25BH? You mentioned a bungee to keep the door from slamming against the side of the trailer. That isn't possible with mine. It has a gas shock at the bottom of the door so it only opens 90 degrees. Maybe you have a different year unless I am not understanding what you changed.

As far as leaving it plugged in. I left mine plugged in all summer. The one thing I am not sure about is if the converter is a float charger. While better to leave it charged than completely dead, I do like a float charger better than a constant charge. A float will let the power drop a bit over time. I would imagine the converter is just always charging. Like I said mine was plugged in all summer. We did get out so probably it wasn't harming it at all. When we went out we are dry camping quite a bit so that does cycle the battery.

You mentioned running the AC at winter. Now I do get that you are down south and I am in Minnesota. But running the AC for us in the winter is a big no. I get that you are using it for dehumidifying the camper. We use one of those big DampRid containers. The ones about the size of a gallon of ice cream. This is good for us in the winter but when it is really cold out we don't get much for humidity. So I don't know if that would last you. What about getting a plug in dehumidifier. Not cheap to run but you could set the humidity level that you want so it would just cycle. Maybe dumping into kitchen sink or bath tub. I doubt over the course of a winter you would fill the grey tank like this. Just a thought since it sounds like you might keep it plugged in anyhow.

I guess the biggest concern I have about running the AC, again coming from up north, is that it is hard on an AC and refrigeration in general running it when it is cold out. It doesn't work right. Maybe a cold winter day is in the 70s. Well then nevermind. It is warm enough to run it. If it was in the 50s well that is a bit on the cool side to be running an AC unit.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:41 AM   #25

I don't run the AC during the winter, only during the summer. In the winter we use an electric heater and keeping the temp around 60 F seems to keep the humidity ok.
I thought the converter cut off charging the battery when it was charged or it might blow up. I didn't think these batteries developed a memory and would not take a charge later, but I may be mistaken.
Nice to have a door stop at 90 Deg. Mine would just fly open, thus the attached bungee cord to the screen door which controls both careen and hard door when connected and only screen door when the hard door is maintained in the full open position.
scapel is offline   Reply With Quote