Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-03-2019, 02:21 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailmaster View Post
I see that the 2020 Eagle travel trailers have generator prep as an option. Does anyone know exactly what that comprises on the travel trailer? Also does anyone know if that new front tray behind the propane bottles is designed to work with any of the Onan generator’s?
I was hoping mine was prepped for a generator, but it wasn't. The tray COULD be large enough, but I'm not sure. I do believe that's what it is there for, that's what my salesman thinks as well.
mbell5263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:14 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehawkgirl View Post
Gunafulltime, you asked a question that took us two years to decide. We thought the northpoint or pinnacle was going to be the next Rv. But after a knee replacement we decided less steps would become a good thing. The other consideration was the height driving down the road and thinking the inside temp might be more stabile with a consistent ceiling height.
We will be towing with a 2018 diesel 2500 Ram. Hopefully tomorrow will be the first haul back to the house to load up for my favorite camping season, the fall.

Thanks to everyone for your comments.
Thank you! Very interesting - we are seriously considering one of these full-weight Eagle TTs for full-timing. I will be curious to know your impressions of towing yours with the 2500. Several folks have recommended a 3500 to us.
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:16 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailmaster View Post
I see that the 2020 Eagle travel trailers have generator prep as an option. Does anyone know exactly what that comprises on the travel trailer? Also does anyone know if that new front tray behind the propane bottles is designed to work with any of the Onan generator’s?
X2 on these questions. If a generator goes on the front tray, where do the batteries and propane tanks go? Can you put the propane tanks in front of the tray? Is the order from front to back: power jack, propane tanks, battery/generator tray?
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:34 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunafulltime View Post
X2 on these questions. If a generator goes on the front tray, where do the batteries and propane tanks go? Can you put the propane tanks in front of the tray? Is the order from front to back: power jack, propane tanks, battery/generator tray?
On my 332cbok the propane is in front of the tray. The batteries are on the side which would leave the center for a generator, hypothetically.
Old 10-09-2019, 09:01 PM   #25

Sometimes prep doesn’t mean prep, we found out when we put a generator in our rig. Some companies put the sticker but nothing else...
jnpj6279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:03 PM   #26

I had a separate bay for propane, and batteries fit next to the generator.
jnpj6279 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 06:02 AM   #27

Quote:
Thank you! Very interesting - we are seriously considering one of these full-weight Eagle TTs for full-timing. I will be curious to know your impressions of towing yours with the 2500. Several folks have recommended a 3500 to us.
There's not really much difference between a 2500 and a 3500 unless you are talking SRW vs DRW. The dual rear wheel does offer a wider base which can be more stable. Other than that, I don't see a reason for the 3500 unless you are going with a very large and heavy 5th wheel, and then I'd get the dually.
Old 10-10-2019, 07:20 AM   #28

Quote:
I have a 2017 330RSTS and started with a 2016 GMC 2500HD 4WD CC SB gasser and now tow it with a 2018 GMC 3500HD 4WD CC LB Duramax. My experience may not be the case with Ford's or Ram's so tossing this out there as more of an FYI than anything else but I suspect the items mentioned will be similar across all three.

With the tongue weights of these Eagles, they can quickly soar depending on how you load them up. With my 330RSTS a bit over 1600# when we were loaded up for our longer trips, that 1600# ate up a good portion of the overall cargo capacity of the 2500 so that is something to look at closely and it gets even worse if your considering a diesel as well. With my setup, it just got way to close to my ratings to give me that comfort level and cargo flexibility I wanted.

So this time around, I went with the 3500HD which gave me a much larger cargo capacity, even with the Duramax, so I no longer worry about what I put in the bed and with the 2000# rated receiver and a 2000# Blue Ox Sway Pro WD hitch, it can now handle anything I throw at it and the only thing I worry about now is exceeding the 1100# of cargo I have in the trailer itself. For the minimal price difference, the additional cargo capacity overall for the truck is just a good thing to have.

Did I need the diesel for the 330RSTS? In two words, not really. The 6.0L I had did "ok" but did struggle at times in higher terrain and the gearing, even in tow/haul mode, still meant the tranny would downshift on every single overpass. I now simply am along for the ride.
Old 10-10-2019, 08:04 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post
I have a 2017 330RSTS and started with a 2016 GMC 2500HD 4WD CC SB gasser and now tow it with a 2018 GMC 3500HD 4WD CC LB Duramax. My experience may not be the case with Ford's or Ram's so tossing this out there as more of an FYI than anything else but I suspect the items mentioned will be similar across all three.

With the tongue weights of these Eagles, they can quickly soar depending on how you load them up. With my 330RSTS a bit over 1600# when we were loaded up for our longer trips, that 1600# ate up a good portion of the overall cargo capacity of the 2500 so that is something to look at closely and it gets even worse if your considering a diesel as well. With my setup, it just got way to close to my ratings to give me that comfort level and cargo flexibility I wanted.

So this time around, I went with the 3500HD which gave me a much larger cargo capacity, even with the Duramax, so I no longer worry about what I put in the bed and with the 2000# rated receiver and a 2000# Blue Ox Sway Pro WD hitch, it can now handle anything I throw at it and the only thing I worry about now is exceeding the 1100# of cargo I have in the trailer itself. For the minimal price difference, the additional cargo capacity overall for the truck is just a good thing to have.

Did I need the diesel for the 330RSTS? In two words, not really. The 6.0L I had did "ok" but did struggle at times in higher terrain and the gearing, even in tow/haul mode, still meant the tranny would downshift on every single overpass. I now simply am along for the ride.
Interesting point. My concern has been the overall towing capacity, which is much higher with the diesel than the gas engine. But that is an excellent point regarding tongue weight in a 2500 or 250 vs a 3500 or 350. If the price is reasonably close, why not go with the heavier duty. But, I'd go with a diesel.
Old 10-13-2019, 03:07 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbell5263 View Post
There's not really much difference between a 2500 and a 3500 unless you are talking SRW vs DRW. The dual rear wheel does offer a wider base which can be more stable. Other than that, I don't see a reason for the 3500 unless you are going with a very large and heavy 5th wheel, and then I'd get the dually.
I would disagree with this. When we purchased our 16’ Whitehawk 33bhbs we were towing with a 19’ Ram 1500 5.7 with a 1700 payload and the ride was terrifying. We checked out 2500s but at least for Ram the payloads were max about 2400 due to the coil spring rear suspension. The 3500’s payload was nothing less than 3700 lbs. That extra payload when you have a TT with a tongue weight over 1,000 lbs is a must IMO when you fill that truck up with people and the bed with lots of crap. I can’t speak for ford or gm because their 3/4 trucks don’t use the coil rear suspension but as for Ram a 1 ton is a must for that size TT for you to enjoy towing it. I would also opt for a diesel if your towing anything over 10k gross vehicle weight just because of the air brakes on the diesel and the fuel economy.
sprysj is offline   Reply With Quote