Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-21-2019, 02:16 AM   #1

Smile New 2020 Jayco Eagle 334RLOK on order!

Hi everyone! My husband and I currently have a 2017 GD Reflection TT and we’ve had some quality issues with it. So we recently ordered a 2020 Jayco Eagle 334RLOK at the RV show in Southern California a couple weeks ago. We were both impressed with the innovative interior and the quality looks to be great... at least initially. Anyway, two questions - how long will it take to build and receive it? And second, what if any mods are essential? We’re not full time but do take multi-week trips several times a year.

We ordered it with: auto leveling, modern farmhouse interior, extreme cold weather package (not on the Jayco website but they’ll put in the 110v tank and line heaters if you ask them as a hidden $700 option), the solar kit - and we asked them to install a second panel for 300W vs the 150W, King bed, TPMS. We did not get dual pane windows... I may have made a mistake there.. nor did we get the turbo-con black tank grinder or whatever it’s called lol. We dry camp a lot so we also did not opt for the residential refrigerator.

I have a 2019 RAM 2500 diesel with the rear air suspension and an Andersen hitch from the GD I’ll bring over. The hitch weight is heavier on the Jayco at 1350 lbs, empty, but I’m still way under the payload max of 2280 lbs on the RAM.

Any advise is appreciated! Mostly we’re just excited about adventures in the new toy! Lastly, how is Richardson’s RV to work with? We honestly didn’t know we were buying from them until we wrote the check.... the Jayco company folks were there for most of the process until the very end.
LeviLinsLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:04 AM   #2

Welcome
Congratulations on the new fifthwheel.
Good luck and enjoy!

Desertman
Destrtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:41 AM   #3

Congrats on the new rig!! We absolutely LOVE our Eagle TT and I am sure you will too!

But I would be remiss if I didn't bring up the same old stuff that many seem to balk at, which is if you really have enough truck there.

Due to the floor plan and almost all of the available storage (pass thru, under bed, closet, bathroom, kitchen/bath cabinets being in front of the axles, the tongue weight can and does skyrocket quickly on these full size Eagle TT's depending on what and how you pack. You may be in for a surprise your not anticipating.

For example, our "published" specs on our 2017 Eagle 330RSTS was 9410# GVW and 1300# for tongue weight. When delivered with our options, the GVW on the sticker was 10,100 and was actually 10,204 at the scales with a tongue weight of 1392# and this is before we moved anything else in.

Once we "moved in", added a second battery for our residential refrigerator and took it back to the scales, our overall trailer weight was 11,108 and our tongue weight was 1689#! I moved a few heavier items from the front pass thru to the truck and got it down the tongue weight down to 1672# but still, that is WAY different than the 1300# published tongue weight. I know of at least 2 other Eagle TT owners that have tongue weights pushing 1800# and none of us have the MUCH larger pass thru your 2020 is going to have nor do we have the big storage tray up front that could hold a lot more batteries for your solar or a portable gen.

I am not saying your truck won't pull it because I have been there already but just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you should. I had a GMC 2500 gasser with similar specs for cargo but I was always in a push/pull about what we could pack and what we couldn't to stay under specs. I ended up moving up to a 1 ton truck and a 2000# Blue Ox WDH because I didn't want to keep juggling things around or having to constantly decide on what we could pack and what we couldn't and for safety reasons, I just didn't want to be anywhere near the actual limits of my equipment.

So it's up to you, but I suggest you not only take a trip to the scales when you take delivery but again after you "move in". Keep an eye on not only your cargo capacity limits or your truck (including passengers, full fuel tanks AND what you put in the bed) but be mindful of the receiver ratings on the truck as well as your Anderson hitch and whether they can handle the tongue weight you end up or risk towing over spec in one or all instances. Good Luck and safe travels!
Old 10-21-2019, 10:42 AM   #4

I agree with above, our hitch weight went way up after loading so make sure you take to a local scale. Check each axel on the truck by itself, then truck and empty trailer and combined loaded with water. We go to a local gravel company and they let us weigh it for free. Adding fresh water could actually reduce hitch weight if the tank is behind the axel.
You might even check the stickers on the axels and see if they match what you think you bought.

If you get in an accident, insurance could claim you were overweight and not cover you, having the scale weights will remove that possibility.

Once you do a detailed weight analysis you can confidently pack and travel safely.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blujay40 View Post
Congrats on the new rig!! We absolutely LOVE our Eagle TT and I am sure you will too!

But I would be remiss if I didn't bring up the same old stuff that many seem to balk at, which is if you really have enough truck there.

Due to the floor plan and almost all of the available storage (pass thru, under bed, closet, bathroom, kitchen/bath cabinets being in front of the axles, the tongue weight can and does skyrocket quickly on these full size Eagle TT's depending on what and how you pack. You may be in for a surprise your not anticipating.

For example, our "published" specs on our 2017 Eagle 330RSTS was 9410# GVW and 1300# for tongue weight. When delivered with our options, the GVW on the sticker was 10,100 and was actually 10,204 at the scales with a tongue weight of 1392# and this is before we moved anything else in.

Once we "moved in", added a second battery for our residential refrigerator and took it back to the scales, our overall trailer weight was 11,108 and our tongue weight was 1689#! I moved a few heavier items from the front pass thru to the truck and got it down the tongue weight down to 1672# but still, that is WAY different than the 1300# published tongue weight. I know of at least 2 other Eagle TT owners that have tongue weights pushing 1800# and none of us have the MUCH larger pass thru your 2020 is going to have nor do we have the big storage tray up front that could hold a lot more batteries for your solar or a portable gen.

I am not saying your truck won't pull it because I have been there already but just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you should. I had a GMC 2500 gasser with similar specs for cargo but I was always in a push/pull about what we could pack and what we couldn't to stay under specs. I ended up moving up to a 1 ton truck and a 2000# Blue Ox WDH because I didn't want to keep juggling things around or having to constantly decide on what we could pack and what we couldn't and for safety reasons, I just didn't want to be anywhere near the actual limits of my equipment.

So it's up to you, but I suggest you not only take a trip to the scales when you take delivery but again after you "move in". Keep an eye on not only your cargo capacity limits or your truck (including passengers, full fuel tanks AND what you put in the bed) but be mindful of the receiver ratings on the truck as well as your Anderson hitch and whether they can handle the tongue weight you end up or risk towing over spec in one or all instances. Good Luck and safe travels!
I just bought the truck new a couple weeks ago so I’ll have to take my chances. I specifically did not get a mega cab because the payload was reduced so much. However I also didn’t think TT tongue weights have gotten THIS heavy. My only solace is that the rear air suspension should keep the truck level even if I’m almost maxed on payload. So it should still drive well. We’ll be taking a trip over Christmas for a couple of weeks... that will be telling in terms of vehicle dynamics and stability. Thanks!
Old 10-21-2019, 12:16 PM   #6

Congrats!! You ordered the extreme cold weather package, but did not order dual pane windows? Dual pane windows help in both hot and cold temperatures. If it's not too late I'd step back and order them.........JMHO
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:22 PM   #7

Thanks! Yea we didn’t because the dealer to us the R value on dual pane was negligible so not to bother. But now I’m second guessing that advise.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:38 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviLinsLife View Post
Thanks! Yea we didn’t because the dealer to us the R value on dual pane was negligible so not to bother. But now I’m second guessing that advise.
I've had dual pane windows on both my fifth wheels. Never had single pane windows so I can't vouch for the difference. Being full-timers I just felt more comfortable having them.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 10:10 AM   #9

I ordered a 2020 eagle 330rsts and did the same as you...didn't order the dual pane. After ready up on the advantages of them I called and had them added. Biggest advantage I liked was eliminating the condensation build up in cooler weather.
Also I asked for them to be added on with my original 37% off Msrp pricing we agreed to. My dealer added them for just ever $900.00 bucks.worth it in my opinion
Rbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2019, 05:18 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeviLinsLife View Post
I just bought the truck new a couple weeks ago so I’ll have to take my chances. I specifically did not get a mega cab because the payload was reduced so much. However I also didn’t think TT tongue weights have gotten THIS heavy. My only solace is that the rear air suspension should keep the truck level even if I’m almost maxed on payload. So it should still drive well. We’ll be taking a trip over Christmas for a couple of weeks... that will be telling in terms of vehicle dynamics and stability. Thanks!
Overall, given that these full size Eagles tow great to begin with, I don't think you will have any "real life" issues with your setup and your truck will most likely pull it just fine. I would think twice though if your also considering taking that golf cart along in the bed of the truck.

I towed mine with a 3/4 gasser for a couple years including a couple trips between Michigan and Florida and as long as we did our best to keep weights in check, we did ok. I also know of at least a couple Eagle owners that tow their Eagles using a 1400# Equalizer WDH as well and have never had issues that I know of.

I just wanted to make you aware of how the tongue weight can and "sometimes" does, skyrocket in at least some instances so it's definitely something to keep a close eye on. If use a bit or prudence in what you take with you and where you stow it, you should be fine.

Oh, and in regards to the dual pane windows. We have had an RV without them where are current Eagle does. I think they can and do make a marked difference in the "comfort" of the RV in both eliminating condensation in all but the most extreme instances as well as help with noise penetration into the RV from outside. They may not increase the overall "R" value and if that is the reasoning the dealer is using, then I agree. HOWEVER, they do help with condensation inside as well with help block outside noises better as well so in that sense, they can and do contribute to your overall "comfort".

My dealer suggested we didn't need them but I look at it this way, I didn't "need" the residential refrigerator (but it sure is nice on our extended trips) or the second awning (we now leave our pop up at home) or the auto leveling (I missed it by 2 weeks!) or many of the other "options" either but they can be nice to have "if" they make your trips more comfortable or convenient and we feel the dual pane windows definitely make our trips more "comfortable".
Old 10-26-2019, 05:55 AM   #11

Hi Blujay40,
You make excellent points. Stepping up from an F150 to a Ram 2500 diesel it has been a complete night and day difference in the way the truck drives and behaves. Until I bought the new truck, my F150 was the largest vehicle I’d ever owned. We’ll get the hitch and trailer weighed after we’re loaded and see where we’re at. The one good thing is that the rear air springs on this new truck will keep us level and thus dramatically improve the towing experience. Since I’m also using the new truck as a daily driver for now, I just couldn’t entertain buying a 1 ton. I’ll update on this forum after a few trips and report back! Thank you for the advice on the dual pane windows as well!