Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2024, 05:52 AM   #1

New 23 Jayco with problems

If anyone can help, I have only had my camper for about five months. Underneath every single bump out every window, including underneath my daughters mattress, there is water and mold, growing everywhere in this camper I have three small dehumidifiers one in the back middle in front have tampered under the couch under both benches at the table Under the pantry and everywhere. Nothing is working. I don’t know if there’s broken seals and water is just running in or what the problem may be, but I feel my family’s health is at risk here any advice would be good. I am seriously at the point of possibly looking for representation to go after Jayco due to malfunctioning manufacturing of their product. Our shower leaks at the bottom. We have one broken stable leg in the back feel that when we bought those camper there were pieces and parts missing from this camper, no campers are cheaply made but if they’re not properly insulated, you will have moisture issues. I just feel like people cut corners when this was built.
Old 02-11-2024, 10:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaycon78 View Post
If anyone can help, I have only had my camper for about five months. Underneath every single bump out every window, including underneath my daughters mattress, there is water and mold, growing everywhere in this camper I have three small dehumidifiers one in the back middle in front have tampered under the couch under both benches at the table Under the pantry and everywhere. Nothing is working. I don’t know if there’s broken seals and water is just running in or what the problem may be, but I feel my family’s health is at risk here any advice would be good. I am seriously at the point of possibly looking for representation to go after Jayco due to malfunctioning manufacturing of their product. Our shower leaks at the bottom. We have one broken stable leg in the back feel that when we bought those camper there were pieces and parts missing from this camper, no campers are cheaply made but if they’re not properly insulated, you will have moisture issues. I just feel like people cut corners when this was built.

Your trailer is under warranty. Why haven't you taken it in at the first sign of these problems?

You mentioned wanting representation to go after Jayco, but have you done your due diligence and followed the terms of your warranty? You don't mention that.

Has Jayco refused to warranty the trailer?
Old 02-11-2024, 10:56 AM   #3

Right!
Old 02-12-2024, 08:34 AM   #4

Are you living in it full time? Which model? If you are using it full time it could very well be condensation which is not a warranty issue. If things were missing that should have been dealt with by the dealer.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:20 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Are you living in it full time? Which model? If you are using it full time it could very well be condensation which is not a warranty issue. If things were missing that should have been dealt with by the dealer.
Yes, condensation is real issue in most of the Jayco's. Most of them depending on the model, are not rated for 4 season camping. Meaning the insulation is crap or nonexistent.

However, when I purchased our new '23 Jayflight 263RBS, the factory had failed to connect some water lines from the shower drain. Water was pouring into the "floor pan" (the area between the coroplast and the camper floor), then leaking onto the ground in a steady stream. There was also leaking from around the shower pan into the bathroom and living area inside.

It was fixed under warranty after a three week wait and a 3 hour round trip to the dealer.

These things just are not built like they used to be but, yes you need to take it up with your dealer. You likely will never ever get anywhere with Jayco IMHO.

So far, I have avoided any mold issues that I know of. I do use a MaxxAir fan that I installed after purchase lot to keep it well ventilated.

Best of luck.
Old 02-12-2024, 10:56 AM   #6

Quote:
If anyone can help, I have only had my camper for about five months. Underneath every single bump out every window, including underneath my daughters mattress, there is water and mold, growing everywhere in this camper I have three small dehumidifiers one in the back middle in front have tampered under the couch under both benches at the table Under the pantry and everywhere. Nothing is working. I donít know if thereís broken seals and water is just running in or what the problem may be, but I feel my familyís health is at risk here any advice would be good. I am seriously at the point of possibly looking for representation to go after Jayco due to malfunctioning manufacturing of their product. Our shower leaks at the bottom. We have one broken stable leg in the back feel that when we bought those camper there were pieces and parts missing from this camper, no campers are cheaply made but if theyíre not properly insulated, you will have moisture issues. I just feel like people cut corners when this was built.
First. More information.

Are you living full time in the camper?
If so, that's a scenario that could create a lot of condensation, especially in the colder temperatures and not running the A/C. Yes, you run dehumidifiers, but it may not be enough if you're living in the camper, full time.

If not, then you need to contact your dealer immediately for warranty inspection/repairs.

If you are living in it full time, they are gonna point out that your warranty does not cover 'full time living' in your Jayco travel trailer.
Old 02-12-2024, 02:06 PM   #7

We love Jayco, recently we find out that Thor bought Jayco in 2016 and the quality of the RVs since Thor bought them out is not good. They have recall on the newer RV not too long ago. wouldn't buy a Jayco after 2016, we have a 2016 eagle made by Jayco absolutely love it wouldn't buy a new one now that Thor took over too many problems. Thor bought Jayco because it had a excellent reputation but they didn't continue on with making a good product which is giving Jayco a bad reputation and that is a bummer because we have loved all of our Jayco trailers that we've owned.
Old 02-12-2024, 02:21 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beck View Post
We love Jayco, recently we find out that Thor bought Jayco in 2016 and the quality of the RVs since Thor bought them out is not good. They have recall on the newer RV not too long ago. wouldn't buy a Jayco after 2016, we have a 2016 eagle made by Jayco absolutely love it wouldn't buy a new one now that Thor took over too many problems. Thor bought Jayco because it had a excellent reputation but they didn't continue on with making a good product which is giving Jayco a bad reputation and that is a bummer because we have loved all of our Jayco trailers that we've owned.
Ken Walters, who use to be VP in sales and development at JAYCO is President and Derald Bontrager is still CEO. So they still have the same leadership team.
Old 02-12-2024, 02:27 PM   #9

the quality is not good and the prices are so much higher and you can see the cheap workmanship when you see the new trailers,so maybe that's what everybody's doing now is lower quality and higher prices. That's too bad. Thanks for the Information.
Old 02-12-2024, 05:08 PM   #10

I was looking at this tread and a bit confused. So if you store your RV nine months out of the year it’s subject to less moisture than regularly operating the HVAC system ? I’ll never buy that.
Ken
Old 02-12-2024, 07:50 PM   #11

Thank you, you actually answered my question. I think there is supposed to be air vents under the benches and couch correct?
Thanks again
Old 02-12-2024, 07:52 PM   #12

What? That doesn’t answer my question. But thanks.
Old 02-12-2024, 08:00 PM   #13

So if you’re a traveling person for work they won’t cover any broken or terrible installation parts? If you go camping for two months and get moisture and mold they won’t cover that? What is camper for if you can’t use it for long periods or live in your camper temporarily while building a home. ? It’s called poor manufacturing cutting corners and building cheap crappy products. No camper should be taking in water and creating mold. Families use these campers whether is long term or short term. It should be properly insulated and constructed in a way that people do not have to deal with water and mold. Several people have told me that this is an issue with a lot of campers different manufacturers different brands. Would you continue to drive your car with the steering wheel would come loose and fall off every once in a while? Or would you just say oh well I drive my car all the time it’s just something that happens. Lol lord have mercy. �� no $42,000 camper should have any issues being new.
Old 02-12-2024, 08:06 PM   #14

Quote:
So if youíre a traveling person for work they wonít cover any broken or terrible installation parts? If you go camping for two months and get moisture and mold they wonít cover that? What is camper for if you canít use it for long periods or live in your camper temporarily while building a home. ? Itís called poor manufacturing cutting corners and building cheap crappy products. No camper should be taking in water and creating mold. Families use these campers whether is long term or short term. It should be properly insulated and constructed in a way that people do not have to deal with water and mold. Several people have told me that this is an issue with a lot of campers different manufacturers different brands. Would you continue to drive your car with the steering wheel would come loose and fall off every once in a while? Or would you just say oh well I drive my car all the time itís just something that happens. Lol lord have mercy. �� no $42,000 camper should have any issues being new.
Could not agree more. People are going to stop buying this crap.
Old 02-12-2024, 08:18 PM   #15

Quote:
Thank you, you actually answered my question. I think there is supposed to be air vents under the benches and couch correct?
Thanks again
No....The only vent would be the return air for the furnace, depending on where it is located. What model do you have?
Old 02-12-2024, 08:25 PM   #16

Maybe I am a bit dense. But in one way it sounds like you have raw water from the outside creating wet areas inside the camper. On the other hand and part of the conversation from others, the water issues or mold or mildew areas is created from sweating over and above what cold and damp temps naturally creates when the camper is closed up in storage is your problem. After owning about 8 travel trailers and traveled this country, I have never had damp and mildew in any amount in the interior of any camper.

I did have a serious problem with windows sweating to the point that they ran down the walls and onto the floors. But that was the same as what we had with single pane windows at my early homes. We did not think much about it, just wiped it all up and moved along. Does the OP have any pictures of any of the areas away from the windows and walls? I will say that most all sticks and staple rvs are all the same, even with a different name on the outside. They are all built to similar methods and along similar assembly lines and out the door, creating numbers for the their CEOs to champion about to their shareholders.
Old 02-12-2024, 08:45 PM   #17

Interesting information, thank you
Old 02-12-2024, 08:48 PM   #18

2023 Jay Flight | NEW 331BTS , I have three bump outs, that’s where all the water is, and at my daughter’s window now under her mattress. I understand they’re being a little bit of condensation, but this is ridiculously amount of water literally little puddles.
Old 02-13-2024, 06:05 AM   #19

Quote:
2023 Jay Flight | NEW 331BTS , I have three bump outs, thatís where all the water is, and at my daughterís window now under her mattress. I understand theyíre being a little bit of condensation, but this is ridiculously amount of water literally little puddles.
Here is a picture of our last trip where the temp dipped into the high 20's at night. Condensation can be a real problem but, I believe the OP must have some water leaks.

These trailers sit on dealer lots for months or sometimes over a year before being sold with no mold problems.

Old 02-13-2024, 06:59 AM   #20

If you are living in it full time that is the problem. Right from the owners manual page 3.

Jayco recreation vehicles are manufactured for use as temporary living quarters for recreation, camping and travel uses, all as defined by the bylaws of the Recreation Vehicle
Industry Association (RVIA).

This recreation vehicle is not intended for use as a full-time residence or for commercial
use.

Page 24 also addresses the condensation issues due to cold weather use and how to reduce it. The fact you can get mold and mildew is also addressed. As Woollymonster's pictures show it is not uncommon, especially with single pane windows..
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2024-02-13 07.54.13.png