Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-31-2015, 07:38 PM   #1

New 264BHW This Week

Well, after over 10 years with a popup camper, we will be picking up a new Jayco 264BHW on Tuesday. To say that we are excited would be a huge understatement. My question would be, what are some essential add-ons that I should be thinking about and what are the unnecessary things that are commonly purchased? Could easily see myself losing control in an RV store right now. I found this site and it looks like a great place to learn some things! Any help would be appreciated!
longhorn10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:05 PM   #2

We should be picking up our new 264BHW this week as well (fingers crossed)! I'm interested to see what advice you're given.

We're waiting until delivery to get the hoses but my husband plans on purchasing the clear connector for the sewer hose.

We just purchased a portable EMS and hitch lock from Amazon. We have a million other things on our list but want to spread it out over time.

According to most people here, the EMS is a must.

TT: 2016 Jay Flight SLX 264BHW (first RV!)
TV: 2010 F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L 4x4 w/ Max Tow Package
charliebravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:09 PM   #3

Congratulations and welcome to the forum! Some common items to get include a quality sewer hose (with clear 90 degree elbow), 50 to 30 amp dog bone type adapter, water regulator (if dealer does not supply them), MaxxAir vent cover, Lynx or similar leveling blocks and black tank chemicals. Do some smart shopping...some times you will find better deals on RV items at WalMart than at the RV parts store.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:13 PM   #4

Welcome,
We enjoy our 26bh.. Perfect size for our family and not big enought where we are restricted to certain campgrounds..
My suggestion is to reinforce the back side of the dinnet that is near the door..doesn't take much for the staples to pull out. I used some metal 90 degree brackets and wood screws... All solid now..
I also built a divider wall in the front storage that separates the front bin access, and the under the bed access. On this wall, I also added a support post that adds support in the centre of the bed, the plywood/with stock support strips just didn't seem like enough strength for 2 adults to be sleeping on..
Skaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 08:21 PM   #5

This is all great stuff. Thanks for the replies!
Old 05-31-2015, 10:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaling View Post
Welcome,
We enjoy our 26bh.. Perfect size for our family and not big enought where we are restricted to certain campgrounds..
My suggestion is to reinforce the back side of the dinnet that is near the door..doesn't take much for the staples to pull out. I used some metal 90 degree brackets and wood screws... All solid now..
I also built a divider wall in the front storage that separates the front bin access, and the under the bed access. On this wall, I also added a support post that adds support in the centre of the bed, the plywood/with stock support strips just didn't seem like enough strength for 2 adults to be sleeping on..
Here is a pic, also used it to hang my WD bars
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpg  
Old 06-01-2015, 12:16 AM   #7

Congrats
Just small broom to sweep out
I like those collapsible trash bag holders, one for recycle and one for trash
You may want mirror extenders if you don't have already
and of course a trailer brake controller & WDH
Old 06-01-2015, 05:40 AM   #8

We purchased mattress toppers for the queen and bunk beds. Whether or not you will need them depends on your personal preference for mattress firmness. When you get the camper, spend a night or two in your driveway to test out the mattresses.

Driveway camping will also give you practice for leveling and stabilizing your new camper. If you cook in your camper as well (or in your driveway with a portable grill), you'll quickly realize what essentials you'll need when you actually go to a campsite.
Old 06-01-2015, 06:09 AM   #9

Every post above so far has been spot on. Also as suggested, if you can do a driveway test run. Also type into google "RV checklist.. You will find some good information. Don't go crazy at an RV store.. Most all of your kitchen gadgets can be purchased at walmart dollar isle as well as water filters, dump hoses, rv toilet paper, etc. etc... Another great source is Amazon.. We picked up our X-chocks, blue gray water tote, towing mirrors and more..

We have the 264BH (very similar to yours) and love ours... Welcome to the forum and have fun.

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:13 AM   #10

I was looking at the X-chocks but haven't ordered them yet. They look like they would be very effective but just pricey compared to standard chocks.

Do I need pads for the stabilizer jacks or what do all of you do with these?
Old 06-01-2015, 07:18 AM   #11

Just cut up a 2X6 into 12-16 inch lengths - I would make 8 of them. Use 1 or 2 of these boards under each stabilizer.
SkyBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:41 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn10 View Post
I was looking at the X-chocks but haven't ordered them yet. They look like they would be very effective but just pricey compared to standard chocks.

You do need regular chocks. The xchocks are a secondary line of defense, but mostly people buy them to help stabilize the camper from moving around while you are inside walking around.. Your stock stabilizers are good, but they don't 100% help with the trailer shimmying around while parked..

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my grandfather did–in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like the passengers in his car.
Tex1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn10 View Post

I use some of my Lynx leveling blocks under my stabilizers. Also used the x-chocks to take away from the "bounce and roll" you get from the tires..
Old 06-01-2015, 08:27 AM   #14

Welcome!! We also have 264BHW and have done one camping trip so far. I use some 6"x12" 1/2" plywood under stabilizers, works just fine and easy to pick up and store. Have added a propane cover, surge protector (Amazon), WD/Equalization hitch (from dealer slightly used), and had brake control prior.
Some things I've built for inside, shelf system surrounding the mirror (7 separate shelves) as there is no medicine cabinet, stool that also serves as an ottoman also, magazine rack (on back of dinette by door, and a TV shelf above the dinette well below noted TV mount location, this for our 32" that folds up when TV stored so have full use of dinette (note have bracing board on back of wall and used bolts to secure).

Larry J
2015 SLX 264BHW
2007 RAM 1500 5.7L - tow and brake setup, Equalizer 1000
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:32 AM   #15

Extra fuses! Check your panel under your fridge to see which ones you need. 30 and 15 I belive. Also, I picked up a jack stand.
Under $10 and gives me a much more stable base. Welcome to the forum!
Old 06-01-2015, 09:14 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryJ View Post
Welcome!! We also have 264BHW and have done one camping trip so far. I use some 6"x12" 1/2" plywood under stabilizers, works just fine and easy to pick up and store. Have added a propane cover, surge protector (Amazon), WD/Equalization hitch (from dealer slightly used), and had brake control prior.
Some things I've built for inside, shelf system surrounding the mirror (7 separate shelves) as there is no medicine cabinet, stool that also serves as an ottoman also, magazine rack (on back of dinette by door, and a TV shelf above the dinette well below noted TV mount location, this for our 32" that folds up when TV stored so have full use of dinette (note have bracing board on back of wall and used bolts to secure).

Larry J
2015 SLX 264BHW
2007 RAM 1500 5.7L - tow and brake setup, Equalizer 1000
I'd love to see the shelves you built! I've been thinking about if we can place the mirror with a medicine cabinet but shelves might be a better option...

TT: 2016 Jay Flight SLX 264BHW (first RV!)
TV: 2010 F-150 SuperCrew 5.4L 4x4 w/ Max Tow Package
charliebravo is offline   Reply With Quote