Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2016, 04:27 PM   #1

new battery, charging correctly?

I am preparing to pick up my new SLX195RB next Monday and purchased an Excide Group 27 105 amp deep discharge battery. When I put it on my smart charger that I have used to charge up some old cars before I tried charging at 2 amps for about 24 hours. It is barely up to half charge and showed dead when I picked it up.

Did I buy a DOA battery or is this normal. I can switch to 4, 6 or 10 amps but read 2 amps was the best way to go.

I did check and acid levels are at max.

Should I keep or return the battery? I have purchased car batteries and deep cycle batteries before and never had this happen before.

PS anyone know where I can mount a TV? There was no sticker on my SLX195RB.
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 06:18 PM   #2

I have never bought a new battery that wasn't already fully charged. Might be your charger is faulty. Take the battery with you and hook it up. See what the battery gauge says. I am also surprised that you had to buy a new battery for a new camper! Most dealers have them installed as any trailer with brakes needs a battery and break-away switch to tow unless it has surge brakes.

2017 28BHBE Kitchen skylight, remote control and Aluminum wheels hitched by ProPride 3P
2017 Ram 2500 CC LB 4x4 Big Horn Cummins
LiftedAWDAstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:40 AM   #3

Take it back to where to bought it. Have them load test it. Check specific gravity of each cell.
Wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:49 AM   #4

My opinion is with LiftedAWDAstro, when you buy a brand-new battery it should be near fully charged.

Take it back to the store that sold you a defective unit.

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:56 AM   #5

called Tractor Supply this morning and they said to bring it back. All batteries they sell should be fully charged. Heading back there this afternoon.

I tested my battery with a hygrometer this morning and one cell shows almost no charge while others are high. Just bad out of the box.

Also, received email from Jayco. There is no reinforced point to hang the TV on the SLX195RB I have. They recommend just sitting it on the counter. Arrgh! really need that counter space for food prep. If anyone has an alternative please reply.

Thanks!
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:59 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
...snip...
Also, received email from Jayco. There is no reinforced point to hang the TV on the SLX195RB I have. They recommend just sitting it on the counter. Arrgh! really need that counter space for food prep. If anyone has an alternative please reply.
Thanks!
Don't watch television when camping?

Sitting in The Cheap Seats.
And proud of it!
mike837go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:29 AM   #7
Site Team

What is the mfr date on the battery? You can get the date code on the batteries mfr web site. When I purchased the TT 4 years ago, it came with 1 Interstate 85Ah battery, so I got home with the TT and decided to add another battery. I went to the local Interstate battery dealer, and he pulled a battery out of the back room and put it on the counter. He said that they were all new, but you could see where he wiped of the dust on the top. I asked how old the battery was and he said he just got a shipment. So I pulled out the battery date code reader and it was over 6 months old. Amazing how he came back with a 30 day mfr date battery. Neither battery had a scratch on the posts from charging clips.
Don
Mustang65 is offline   Reply With Quote