Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-28-2018, 08:24 AM   #1

New converter is on the way.

In conjunction with replacing the Group 24 battery, with a pair of GC2 batteries, I decided to change out the WFCO 8955 converter with a Progressive Dynamics 4688L Main Board Assembly from Best Converters. When all the parts arrive, and I put them in, I'll post pictures in the Mod board.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:07 AM   #2

A question concerning the Progressive Dynamics converter w/ charge wizard

If anyone has the PD Converter with the attached Charge Wizard pendant, where do you put the end of the pendant? Attach it in some manner to a wall or solid cabinet front? My converter is located under the oven on my 23RB.

Old 01-28-2018, 10:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlee View Post
If anyone has the PD Converter with the attached Charge Wizard pendant, where do you put the end of the pendant? Attach it in some manner to a wall or solid cabinet front? My converter is located under the oven on my 23RB.
We've moved our PD9260 (and Charge Pendant) from trailer to trailer a few times. Try not to drill holes or screw anything in place to mount the CP. Helps resale value--lol! We use black velcro tape strips to place the pendant at the nearest convenient exit point from the converter. If you're careful to place it on solid wood vs. that laminate found on most trailer cabinets, you can remove the velcro strips without leaving anything too obvious behind.
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 10:07 AM   #4

Quote:
In conjunction with replacing the Group 24 battery, with a pair of GC2 batteries, I decided to change out the WFCO 8955 converter with a Progressive Dynamics 4688L Main Board Assembly from Best Converters. When all the parts arrive, and I put them in, I'll post pictures in the Mod board.
You're gonna love how easy it is get that PD into 14.4v bulk mode. We also have two GC2's and a PD converter. Only takes 2-3 hours to charge them from 50 to 90 percent!
Old 01-29-2018, 09:00 AM   #5

Quote:
In our Greyhawk Motorhome, the converter was under the refrigerator, which was next to the entry steps. I drilled a hole large enough for the R11 connector to fit through, then mounted the charger wizard with 3M command adhesive velcro strips, the kind that are easily removable, with the rest of the switches and gauges that were on that same wall.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 11:44 AM   #6

How do you determine which converter to get from PD? Just call with your current converter model number? There are so many different versions. Also is it a simple switching of wires to the new one and putting it back in. I am going to go this route also with the GC2 battery setup.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsville View Post
How do you determine which converter to get from PD? Just call with your current converter model number? There are so many different versions. Also is it a simple switching of wires to the new one and putting it back in. I am going to go this route also with the GC2 battery setup.
What make and model converter do you currently have? PD makes several drop-in replacements, along with a number of standalone units. What brand power center (distribution panel) do you currently have in your travel trailer? If it's an Inteli-Power it may already have a PD converter installed. Our Jayco came from the factory with an Inteli-Power Power Center with a Progressive Dynamics 60 amp converter with the Charge Wizard installed inside. No point in replacing it with another one

In any case, replacement should be easy. Depending on location, some travel trailers are harder than others. Make sure a/c power is off and the batteries are disconnected. Disconnect the hot/neutral/ground wires and the black and white DC output wires then remove the converter. Reinstall the new converter and wiring. That's about it.

You also have the option of leaving your current converter installed and installing a 2nd converter. Simply parallel it (at the batteries) with your current/existing OEM converter. This way you'll have a backup converter and you can easily remove the PD converter if/when you sell your current travel trailer. Something to consider.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:49 PM   #8

The WFCO 8955 converter came with my 23RB. It's a 55A converter. So, I ordered from Best Converter the (Progressive Dynamics) PD4655L Wildkat MBA replacement converter. With this kit, I just took out the old converter and replaced it with the new PD converter, hooking up the AC and DC side to the old electrical panel that came with the WFCO converter.

I got the one with the L which means, should I ever get a Lithium Ionbattery,
this new converter will be able to handle charging it. Probably a few dollars I didn't need to spend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artsville View Post

Old 02-06-2018, 02:40 PM   #9

Quote:
. . . I got the one with the L which means, should I ever get a Lithium Ionbattery, this new converter will be able to handle charging it. Probably a few dollars I didn't need to spend.
No lithiums in our future. You can get a lot of standard, lead-cell batteries for the price of one cheap lithium. Prices are slowly coming down though.
Old 02-06-2018, 02:51 PM   #10

There isn't one in my future right now either. I threw in $17 dollars in case a miracle should happen, and the price really starts to slide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post
No lithiums in our future. You can get a lot of standard, lead-cell batteries for the price of one cheap lithium. Prices are slowly coming down though.