Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-06-2014, 02:35 PM   #11

Here is the way the wiring is currently (no pun), according to my wife with me on pen, which I CAN handle.

From the Wall: Thermostat:

White/Orange White

White Grey

Green Green

Red/White Red

Red Yellow

Blue wire is not used and is capped

Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:19 PM   #12

OK, this is just weird. Took the cover off of the A/C unit and can easily see the thermostat wires connected. The wire from the yellow post is red and the red wire coming from the wall is connected to the yellow thermostat wire. So that wire was supposed to be yellow the whole way isn't. The two striped wires coming from the wall (one is red/white the other is white/orange) are paired and separated just the last few inches, with the red/wh side connected to the red of the thermostat and the white/orange side connected to the white of the thermostat. One could make the assumption that these two, since not being seen at the a/c, go to the furnace. So, from this it would seem that the thermostat is hooked up correctly, and since I replaced the wires one for one with the upgrade, makes sense. But why then does the furnace fan come on when the a/c does?
I don't want to just try different combinations and risk letting the magic smoke out of somewhere.
Note to Jayco. Use the correct wire color from end to end.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:24 AM   #13

update and possible (probable) fix

Email from Coleman Mach tech support says that the blue wire (which I had read was not needed or used) is the ground. Without it, the unit is trying to use the white wire (goes to the furnace) for ground triggering a cycle. Will check this out today but am certain this is the case since I know its not connected whatsoever.
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.
Old 05-08-2014, 08:59 AM   #14
Site Team

Sure hope that fixes it. My personal pony shows the BLUE thermostat wire goes to the 2nd blue and thick white wire on the camper wiring.

I think they separate the wiring to make it easier, cause some of the wires are the same color and the tracer makes it clearer? LOL

Not used in the front ac cause no furnace control.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:37 AM   #15

I have been wanted to swap in a digital stat but it sure seems like a hassle. I hope you get it sorted out !!
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:24 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33 RLDS View Post
I have been wanted to swap in a digital stat but it sure seems like a hassle. I hope you get it sorted out !!

A Coleman is the easy one. I never heard of anyone having a problem except the op.

Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try:Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled." - Mark Twain
norty1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:43 PM   #17

Quote:
Well, it really is easy. On my last RV I had no issues doing this. What I think happened is that I read some info online stating that the upgrade to digital didn't need the blue wire. As it turns out, the Hunter, if not mistaken, does not. So, I swapped out the wires, which should be an easy color for color match, but not on this Jayco, and left the blue capped. Just connected it and tested by running the heater until temp inside was high to check furnace operation, then shut that down. Came back out and ran the A/C and all is well. Moral of the story, get the info pertaining to your thermostat, not just assume, as I did, that digital was the same across brands.
Do the mod, you'll be glad you did.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:05 PM   #18

I just check my current stat and its a Coleman mach. Does that mean it will be an easy swap for me to the digital version Coleman?
2001 Oldsmobile Aurora
2015 Chrysler 200C AWD
33 RLDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:24 PM   #19

Talking

Yes, 33. It really is an easy swap.
ps- connect the blue wire.
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:53 AM   #20

I agree

Quote:
I just check my current stat and its a Coleman mach. Does that mean it will be an easy swap for me to the digital version Coleman?
Easy as twisting wire nuts. The two mounting screw holes were slightly different and the digital model is a bit wider. The narrow spot where my old one was mounted was just barely wide enough for the new one. I can get you the actual dimensions if you want. I could never find them posted anywhere.