Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-27-2016, 01:19 PM   #1

New drop hitch & WDH setup question

Okay, with the new TV, the old setup on the WDH was not going to work. With the hitch assembly I had, set to the lowest position on the drop hitch, the front end of the TT looked like it was just about to go wheels up for take off. So I got a new drop hitch & went through the process of trying to get things "just right".

It came down to two possible positions on the new drop hitch. The first had the TT so very close to level. But still just a tad low. The second higher position has the TT above level. A bit more than position one had it lower, but still not bad. For now, I went with the higher ( position two ), as I could be adding more tongue weight as more gets loaded into the TT. But asking for opinions.

Next question. When attaching the bars that run from the WDH hitch to the trailer tongue, I seem to have two options. I know the bars are supposed to be parallel to the tongue frame. I can get that, but the chains are not super tight. I can actually move them a little with my fist. If I go a link tighter, they are super tight. But not quite parallel. I added some backward tilt to the ball. I think it helped some, but still not parallel. So the question would be, which is better, not so tight chains, but parallel, or tight chains and slightly not parallel?

Thanks,
Tuckerdog1
You live and learn, or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:30 AM   #2

If your chains aren't tight, your weight distribution hitch isn't working. I would tighten one extra link even if the bars aren't parallel with the tongue. I did this for years on my old setup and never had any issues. As far as your trailer tongue resting lower on the hitch or higher. I would say higher is the better option

2005 Forest River Rockwood 2601 (Sold)
2011 Ford Expedition XLT (Sold)
2008 Jeep Wrangler (Just for fun!)
Nukeneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:28 AM   #3

Can you tilt the head back further? You also should visit a truck scale once you think it's right just to totally dial it in.