Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-27-2011, 09:51 PM   #41

Mess, what mess? I do not see a mess, especially with children. I bought canvas hanging closet shelves from Linen and Things and they have worked out fine so far. I also placed a shoe organizer in the bottom of the kids closet.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:07 PM   #42

usmc616, lol, the crap on top of the drawers is the mess of which I speak. Although looking at the picture, a lot of it is Christmas present packaging that had no where else to go. Though the clear fronts make for easy retrieval of contents, it's a double edged sword in that we have to look at the disheveled contents all of the time.
I wish the TT wardrobe was a stack of usable drawers and the other side for hanging. Having the large space in the rear just for hanging makes no sense to me, and the center door stop prevents you from putting in something like a chest of drawers unless you want to undertake a construction project.
I have seen the hanging closet organizer done so many different ways. I am concerned obviously some flimsier than others. I am concerned that whatever I choose won't hold up with time.

2008 (40th Anniversary) Jay Flight G2 32BHDS
2011 F250 XLT Extended Cab 6.2L

Doreen and Rocky
3 kidlets
1 princess puppy
1 feral kitty
1 boar guinea pig
dorayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:01 PM   #43

We found a three shelf plastic shelf at meijer. Just fits inside takes up both sides of the closet. Then bought the fabric cube boxes at target. We open the door and you have three shelves of space for these and the slide right out get what you need and close the door. Not too bad. Not as nice as drawers but mostly kids toys and clothes so not too bad. Sorry no pics of this. Ill try next time.

Edit: shelf had to be assembled inside the closet due to wood strip in middle of doors, but it fit and is great!
heppdj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 07:42 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by heppdj2 View Post
We found a three shelf plastic shelf at meijer. Just fits inside takes up both sides of the closet. Then bought the fabric cube boxes at target. We open the door and you have three shelves of space for these and the slide right out get what you need and close the door. Not too bad. Not as nice as drawers but mostly kids toys and clothes so not too bad. Sorry no pics of this. Ill try next time.

Edit: shelf had to be assembled inside the closet due to wood strip in middle of doors, but it fit and is great!
I would definitely love to see this. This sounds a lot sturdier, but I wonder could we maintain part of the hanging space, maybe 4" -6" or so. This makes me wonder could ventilated wire shelving be placed inside the wardrobe and a support be cut for the side that isn't attached to the wall.
Earlier this year, one of our trips was to Ohio for my Grandmother's Funeral. The longer hanging wardrobe space came in handy for our dress clothes.

Doreen and Rocky
3 kidlets
1 princess puppy
1 feral kitty
1 boar guinea pig
Old 08-31-2011, 07:42 AM   #45

The shelf we bought is the whole length of closet. The way the poles are hung for the hangers, there is one for each door running perpendicular to the doors, so it does not allow for hanging with a full length shelf. One recommendation would be to measure your closet and buy a shelf that just fits the one side and that would still allow for room to hang on the other side.

All I did was measure the dimensions of the max allowable space inside the closet, then I went shopping for a shelf. (The best way would have been to build a custom shelf, I may do next year, but I didn't have time this year). Anyhow I brought my tape measure along to the stores and I just measured the shelves if the dimmensions weren't on the box to see what fit how I wanted...

Good luck!
Mike
heppdj2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2011, 11:06 AM   #46

gotcha Mike,
We started looking at ventilated wire shelving yesterday, we happened to have a few spare pieces kicking around.

We do not have an outdoor kitchen (they weren't an option for 2008) so Rocky is also considering using the shelving to organize the outside storage area. We have a pop up gazebo and pop up screen room that we bring along, plus our under awning carpets, umbrellas, folding chairs, pool toys, life jackets, and since we haven't made a bumper hose carrier, a tote for the dump supplies. A shelf will make getting things into and out of the outside storage much better, as it currently is, if we need something on the bottom, we must stack down the other contents. This is significantly less than fun.

Doreen and Rocky
3 kidlets
1 princess puppy
1 feral kitty
1 boar guinea pig