Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-26-2018, 08:29 PM   #1

New Grill

Just before my wife and I lleft for the campground, I bought a new Coleman XT grill. Took my hose and 10 lb. propane tank. Hooked it up to burn off the oils like the instruction says to, but it would’nt light. I found out, for some reason, it’s not getting gas. We went to town and bought a twin pack of the little green bottles and cooked with them. Other than that, we had a good time through the thunderstorms. Twice now, we’ve been to NW Oklahoma for camping and had deal with severe thunderstorms. So, we play rummycube at the kitchen table.
Now we are looking for a destination for the next trip.
Poppy
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:17 AM   #2

You most likely need to modify the regulator set-up. The gas coming out of your trailer is very low pressure gas, the gas in the bottles is high pressure. On all the Weber grills you need to remove the regulator before you use it with you TT. There are a number of threads in this forum in regard to the Weber and I know there are some of the Coleman models mentioned.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:28 AM   #3

The 10 pound bottle probably has the leak prevention feature like the larger tanks. If you open the valve too fast it can close the little check valve in the line. Turn on the gas and let it sit for a while and maybe the pressure will equalize. I have a Weber Q grill that has that problem and there are many other owners that have complained about that. This has been discussed in other forums.
Moderator on Hi-Lo Trailer Forum
RichR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:15 AM   #4

Thanks for the input, but I’m not using the trailer propane. The bottle I’m using is one like I use for backyard grilling at home. It doesn’t have a regulator on it. The regulator is on the grill. Best I can figure out is the hose isn’t seating in the regulator like it’s supposed to. In the end of the hose is a valve like the one you see in a bicycle tube, so it should open up as soon as it’s hooked up.
I think I may get a quick connect hose to attach it to the camper so I don’t have to figure this out and also lug an extra tank of propane around.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:40 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
Thanks for the input, but I’m not using the trailer propane. The bottle I’m using is one like I use for backyard grilling at home. It doesn’t have a regulator on it. The regulator is on the grill. Best I can figure out is the hose isn’t seating in the regulator like it’s supposed to. In the end of the hose is a valve like the one you see in a bicycle tube, so it should open up as soon as it’s hooked up.
I think I may get a quick connect hose to attach it to the camper so I don’t have to figure this out and also lug an extra tank of propane around.
If your going to use the RV propane you will need to remove the regulator on the grill. It does take a special hose fitting to attach to a grill designed to use the 1lb bottles. I agree most likely the issue was with the attachment to the grill.

Good Luck.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 06:01 PM   #6

Grill ready to go

I “bit the bullet” and bought the conversion kit for my Coleman grill so I could hook it to the trailer. Now I don’t have to lug those extra propane bottles or tanks. We’re looking for the next camping destination, still undecided.