Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-08-2014, 07:03 PM   #1
GMC

New guy hooking up city water

We are finally getting a chance to take our 154BH out for its maiden voyage (with us). I think I have a handle on setting up when we get to camp except for the city water hookup. When I turn on the city water, do I need to open the pressure relief valve on the water heater, and turn on the faucets to vent the air?
GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:28 PM   #2

I just turn on the hot water faucets to let the air out. Don't forget your pressure regulator on the incoming hose. Have fun.
grandmawoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:57 PM   #3

It is best not to mess with the pressure relief valve. Lifting it can cause it to leak. Before you hook up, run a bit of water out on the ground to insure the supply is clean. Then connect your hose and line filter, fill the hose with water and then connect to the inlet to the trailer, Once you are connected, run water through the hot and cold lines to get the air out. The outside shower works well for this.
Old 08-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #4

I do the same*^^^
Just open the faucets and run the water till all the air is out. You could open the relief valve and speed things up. Remember dont turn on the hot water heater till all the air is out. Hope you have a great maiden voyage.
lx22f/c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:04 PM   #5

Use a pressure regulator at the water hookup before it connects to your hose. First and only time I've used city water connection, I didn't and it blew the hose and flooded the trailer during the night while I was sleeping. Don't mess with pressure relief valve unless draining water heater. Just ensure it's full before you start it. Open the lines and wait until water comes out continually. Only other issue may be the water heater bypass valves. Shouldn't have to worry about them but you may want to check there position if you haven't ever used this particular water heater. .
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 08:26 PM   #6
GMC

Thanks everybody. now that I think about it, it makes sense that wouldn't need to mess with the relief valve it the hot water taps are open. thanks again!!
GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:26 PM   #7

Gmc

my way of doing it is , hook up the white hose with pressure regulator then run some water thru it to make sure it clear , then hook up an inline filter running water thru it, then hook up to rv then open kitchen and bath faucetts untill running clear, then wait about 5 minuts till i beleive water heater full then turn it on. Just my two
2006 JAYCO JAY FEATHER 23B EXP
EQUILIZER HITCH
Kellys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 08:55 PM   #8

Make absolutely sure youe water heater is not in bypass mode and that the WH is full of water before turning it on.
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote