Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-30-2017, 11:52 AM   #1

New guy questions

Hello all,

We just purchased a 2017 Jay Feather 25BH. We bought it used but obviously the previous owner had it a very short time so the thing is basically like new. First overnight trip will be tonight, my kids are pretty excited.

Two questions I have that I am hoping someone can help me with:

- Gas: There are two gas tanks. Do you you typically leave only one on and switch to the other when one is empty, or do people leave both valves open?

- Battery power: there is a battery present and connected, but I can not figure out how to get anything to run on it. If I am plugged in to shore power (using a 15 amp to 30 amp converter) things works fine. Plugged in to my truck, lights and tongue jack have power. Battery only, or battery with battery charger connected, nothing in the camper has power. It acts like there is a cutoff switch but I can not find it.

Thanks in advance for your help!
wi-steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:24 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome from NYS! Congrats on the Jayfeather. About your questions, You can open both tanks if you like. The regulator will automatically switch tanks when the primary one (the one the lever is pointed to) goes empty. If the tanks are both full, you can just open one, and run it that way. We don't use a bunch of gas, so we've been using just one tank for 5 years now. There may be a battery cutoff switch, maybe in the front storage compartment (?) or mounted near the battery somewhere. With the battery connected, you should have lights inside, pump power, and outside porch light. Another thing to look for, is a blown 30 amp 12 volt fuse at the battery connection. Hope this helps.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 02:18 PM   #3

Congrats and welcome! We have have 2 tanks but only run one at a time. That way we know when one is empty and can get it filled while running on the other. So far, we have been running a year on one tank. As JFlightRisk mentioned, I would check the 30 amp fuse near the battery. It is usually in a capped holder. I carry several spares because they can blow if you over extend the electric jack or hook the battery up backwards.
Old 09-30-2017, 03:43 PM   #4

Congratulations and welcome! We always leave both of our tanks open and let the regulator do its job. I do check periodically to see if one of the tanks is empty. Unless we're running the furnace a lot a single tank will easily last us a season.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 05:37 PM   #5

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. Pay attention to the ones who answered because I don't know anything about the subject; just wanted to welcome you .
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:53 PM   #6

Congratulations and Welcome from NorCal.

We're new JayFeather owners as well and we're from the open one propane tank at a time until it's empty then switch to the 2nd one camp.

NCMFFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:45 AM   #7

Welcome. Another thing to remember is you will not have 110V inside unless you are connected to shore power. All the 110V devices will be off unless you are connected to shore power or a generator unless you have an inverter installed.
Blue Ox Sway pro
LeonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 08:03 AM   #8

I keep both tanks open anytime the fridge is on. Don't want food spoiling because just one tank is empty. I suspect the inline fuse is blown or removed. Some folks remove it instead of installing a cut off switch. I suppose you could also have bad batteries. They may have been totally tapped to the point they won't charge or swapped with old junk batteries.
Old 10-01-2017, 08:58 PM   #9

It was the fuse by the battery!

Thanks for the responses. It was indeed a blown 30A fuse by the battery. I originally missed that one - i had been checking the ones in the panel under the fridge.

First night camping with the family was a good test run. We love the camper, bit found a few issues. Water leak behind the toilet, wife fixed it by tightening something. P trap under the sink was not assembled correctly with rubber washed wedged sideways on the pressure ring. I have no idea how the previous owner missed that, or how the factory could have shipped it that way.

Also learned that my dog really freaks out about the stairs. I'm going to need to make him a ramp. (90lb 9 year old lab that does not like to be carried)

Next up will be winterizing. Can anyone tell me how much of the pipe antifreeze we need to buy?

And lastly, a note to the people at Jayco - your owner's manual on this thing is terrible. Lock the lawyers out of the room and have some real people write the thing. And the way one manual is written to cover a wide range of campers make it kind of useless.

Also I will post some feedback on towing in case anyone searches these posts to gauge what works. I towed it with a 2015 Dodge Durango RT. I do not have any kind of stabilizer or equalizer installed because we plan to get a pickup in spring which may or may not require it. I first brought it home empty, driving the Durango alone. It has plenty of power with the V8, and braking is acceptable with the Tekonsha P3 controller that I installed last week. However the swaying and bobbing up and down gets a bit uncomfortable. I also feel that the tongue weight is too much when we have cargo packed in the front compartment plus our family and dog in the truck. I would NOT drive the rig on the freeway or over 60 mph with my current setup.

I know I have read here that someone else has this combo with a better hitch and is happy with it. But I am thinking that the way the truck squats down in back with the trailer on CAN'T be good. And that's WITH the heaviest tow package available in the truck with load leveling suspension.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:13 PM   #10

1-2 gallons of antifreeze should do it. Don’t forget the outside shower (if so equipped) and to pour some into the drains. I also put some in my toilet bowl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-02-2017, 12:33 PM   #11

There are a lot of members that will comment on your specific tow package. Prior to your purchase next year I would play with the changingears.com "weight calculator." You don't mention if you are new to RV'ing but I would think twice about pulling a TT that is bouncing and swaying. (FYI).,my prior post to this tread about now understanding duel tanks, I was reading too fast and thought you were talking about gasoline tanks . I just keep both mine open and fill them every six months at the local UHaul filling station.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:34 PM   #12

My toy Yorkies 9 and 10yrs freaked out on our stairs also. We put the rugs that wrap around them and their fine (after a day or two) with them now. Happy camping...

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 01:58 PM   #13
Site Team

We get three gallons for winterizing, and usually have a gallon or so left over for next time. It also depends how much plumbing there is in your TT. Better to have a little too much on hand. Our pup doesn't like the steps, either. It's because they can see "through" the steps, and it makes them nervous. If you block off behind them, it may make them more at ease to go up them.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:24 PM   #14

Welcome from Arizona we mostly dry camp and prefer to keep one tank closed. And for some strange reason I started putting the dates on the propane tank after filling them. No winterizing in Phoenix don't know much about that! Enjoy your new camper!
Attached Thumbnails
Cactus 011.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:48 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
There are a lot of members that will comment on your specific tow package. Prior to your purchase next year I would play with the changingears.com "weight calculator." You don't mention if you are new to RV'ing but I would think twice about pulling a TT that is bouncing and swaying. (FYI).,my prior post to this tread about now understanding duel tanks, I was reading too fast and thought you were talking about gasoline tanks . I just keep both mine open and fill them every six months at the local UHaul filling station.
Yeah, new pick up or stabilizing hitch are in order for spring. Mainly I shared that info for anyone else with a Durango that is considering the same purchase.
Old 10-02-2017, 05:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by wi-steve View Post
Yeah, new pick up or stabilizing hitch are in order for spring. Mainly I shared that info for anyone else with a Durango that is considering the same purchase.
welcome to the forum, I have a trailer that has it's own set up to winterize, I only have to use one gallon of RV antifreeze. I really hope you get a equalizing hitch with sway control before you tow it again. Once you purchase a new tow vehicle you can easily change it over to your new vehicle. I have done it myself.
turbo130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:30 PM   #17

I have the same camper. If I can remember correctly, I used 3 gallons last year. I just winterized today using compressed air for the first time. It was very easy to do. I just need to get a gallon to put in the traps. As far as a new tv, I have a ram 1500 5.7 with 3.92 gearing. I am set up very well right now and the hitch is dialed in verified by a CAT Scale. With that being said, I am close to my tv limits, not over but closer than I would like. In searching for a new tv, I would recommend getting one with the very least 1600 lbs of payload. Just my opinion.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk