Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-04-2019, 12:54 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Santa Cruz
Posts: 9
Smile New .. HD antenna adjustment knob - off

Hi, new .. 2019 White Hawk, towing it out of the yard , to our property ( 1 hour )

screws going through the ceiling holding the knob up to the antenna adjustment shaft came out.. So it took the third and last loose one out .. Arched roof line , nothing to mount up through to besides ceiling board..

This also was called out at the dealer .. They said it was fixed.. Whatever, thinking some kind of biting nuts need to be glued onto the inside of the ceiling bower and then place knob in position re-aligning the two adjustment shafts , while using metal screws to tighten ,, not sure ?

Has anyone dealt with this issue or have some ideas?

Yes, itís under warranty at a good dealer .. Although ..this is a poor design issue and their idea of fixing is how it was installed .. funky
Jimfurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:38 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 52
Do you have a photo ?
I'm pretty sure I could figure it out, having to fix things like this all the time.
But it'd be a lot easier with a photo.
Kbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:38 AM   #3
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Santa Cruz
Posts: 9
HD Antenna

[QUOTE=Kbarb;807266]Do you have a photo ?
I'm pretty sure I could figure it out, having to fix things like this all the time.
But it'd be a lot easier with a photo.[/



Hi there ,

I have photos , however this image icon ? Not sure how to upload photos into this format
Jimfurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 10:43 AM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 52
As I remember, you have go to way down to the bottom (in the Advanced Mode), and see where it says "Attach Files".

Took me a while to figure that out myself.
Kbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:21 PM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Santa Cruz
Posts: 9
PHP Code:
[PHP
[/PHP]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbarb View Post
As I remember, you have go to way down to the bottom (in the Advanced Mode), and see where it says "Attach Files".

Took me a while to figure that out myself.
So here is the adjustment knob and one of the screws,. I can take a photo of the opening into the ceiling tomorrow..

Been thinking about this .. the knob must be pushed in ..to turn the antenna..ceiling has no support
Attached Thumbnails
AB2D37B0-7A6F-4492-9D7F-7EC7F0C471B0.jpg   D7D89D41-4A2D-472D-8939-95C2DC371208.jpg   3875E708-2CE8-4F7F-A9EB-507D4A6BB4C8.jpg  
__________________
Jim
Jimfurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 11:43 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 52
Yea, I'd like to see the ceiling board.
But how thick do you think that ceiling material is ? Any way to tell ?
What's to do would kind of depend on that.
'
There are various anchors you could use if it's really thin, like 1/8".

You could use a jack nut as well, which is usually intended for sheet metal, but would probably work on material not over 1/8".
It would leave a little bit of a shoulder on the surface of the ceiling though.
But you'd use a small machine bolt to screw into that.

Another idea would be a small molly bolt, which is about the same as a jack nut, but with less of a shoulder. You need a little space behind the ceiling panel to allow for it.
https://www.doityourself.com/stry/ho...se-molly-bolts
__________________
2007 Jay Flight 31BHDS travel trailer
Kbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:12 AM   #7
Member
 
blane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Chatham
Posts: 31
You could use s few small 1/2 inch square wood pieces and line them up with the screw holes on the back side of the ceiling board and use pl premium or no nails adhesive to secure them then drill pilot holes so you don't split the wood then reattach your handle, should permanently fix your problem.
__________________
2017 White Hawk 27DSRL
2010 Dodge Ram 1500 Larimie 4X4
Equalizer WDH
blane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:42 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 52
That's not a bad idea either, the little blocks of wood.
I'd probably user large blocks, actually little pieces of plywood - multi-core ply if you can - and around 1-1/2" squares so as to reduce the risk of splitting.

Personally I've had a lot of problems with construction adhesive for things like that - I'd probably use 5-min epoxy, paste epoxy, or even polyurethane glue (sometimes known as Gorilla Glue).
__________________
2007 Jay Flight 31BHDS travel trailer
Kbarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:44 AM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Santa Cruz
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbarb View Post
Yea, I'd like to see the ceiling board.
But how thick do you think that ceiling material is ? Any way to tell ?
What's to do would kind of depend on that.
'
There are various anchors you could use if it's really thin, like 1/8".

You could use a jack nut as well, which is usually intended for sheet metal, but would probably work on material not over 1/8".
It would leave a little bit of a shoulder on the surface of the ceiling though.
But you'd use a small machine bolt to screw into that.

Another idea would be a small molly bolt, which is about the same as a jack nut, but with less of a shoulder. You need a little space behind the ceiling panel to allow for it.
https://www.doityourself.com/stry/ho...se-molly-bolts
Sorry, just been busy at work.. I hope to photo the ceiling inside the trailer tomorrow.. 1/8 ..probably
__________________
Jim
Jimfurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:47 AM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Santa Cruz
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by blane View Post
You could use s few small 1/2 inch square wood pieces and line them up with the screw holes on the back side of the ceiling board and use pl premium or no nails adhesive to secure them then drill pilot holes so you don't split the wood then reattach your handle, should permanently fix your problem.
Thank you... I have thought about that step as well. I will give it a shot
__________________
Jim
Jimfurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Jayco, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2002-2016 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.