Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-15-2016, 04:56 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to Vicrus
New Hummingbird

Picked up a new Hummingbird FD. Just came back from our Shakedown weekend. We had a Jayco pop-up but was to much work. Love our HB.
Vicrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:09 PM   #2

Vicrus,

Congrats on your new trailer and shakedown weekend.

Out of curiosity, when we had our White Hawk in for warranty work last week, I noticed a new Hummingbird on the lot. The service manager mentioned a customer had brought it in as it had a tendency to "bounce from side to side" when towing. He also mentioned the owner towed it with a one ton pick up. The conversation got us both wondering what there is for suspension on this trailer. The Jayco specs state it has a "rubber-torsion suspension". We looked under the trailer and noticed that the axle had no springs and was attached directly to the frame.

I was curious how well it towed and if you could elaborate on the suspension of your new Hummingbird?

Thank you,

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:03 PM   #3

I didn't really drive too far. Only about 30 miles, but found no problem towing the trailer. Tow vehicle is a Tahoe. Not sure about the suspension.
Old 08-15-2016, 07:11 PM   #4

I found some information about the suspension type.
Complete Trailers, LLCThe Torsion vs. Spring Axle Debate Demystified | Complete Trailers Blog
Old 08-16-2016, 05:15 AM   #5

Congratulations and welcome!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:28 AM   #6

Hi Murff, we just bought a Hummingbird 17RB. We took it ~300 miles to Myrtle Beach towing with a soccer mom suspension 2003 Tundra. We had friction sway control added just incase it would be encountered. We had no towing issues however the fridge warmed up there and back.
Pat
kokomimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:25 AM   #7
Site Team

My opinion of Torsion suspension is they work great until they don't.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 06:07 AM   #8

Just found out that ours won't even go into production until the end of October now.....come on Jayco !

Ordered a 17RK about three weeks ago and was told it would be about 8 weeks before it was delivered.....I have plenty of time to get our FJ ready for towing.

Looking forward to hearing more about everyone's experiences and mods with these, they are so new it's hard to find much about them online.
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 08:56 PM   #9

We recently picked up our 17FD and took it for its first trip down around Mt. Rainier in Washington State. We're pulling it with a Toyota Tacoma with an anti-sway bar and it pulled great on freeways, twisty mountain roads, and in town. We had a camp site with full hookups, so we were able to test out all the systems. We didn't run into any problems except for being unable to get the refrigerator to run on propane. On electric, we had it turned all the way up and it froze my Diet Pepsi.

One inconvenience is that the grey water outlet and the black water outlet are separate. I've seen on some RVs you can hook up your hose, flush the black water, and then flush the grey water. On the Hummingbird, you have to hook up the hose, flush the black water, unhook the hose and attach it to the grey water outlet and then flush the grey water.

All in all, we're happy with it.
UnleavenedLoaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:20 PM   #10

Good to hear! The service manager & I speculated it might just be the one-ton TV might be part of the problem.

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:57 AM   #11

I'm hoping our FJ will pull ours OK until I can save some money up for a new Tundra, since my 1st Gen Tacoma is too small and modified for the task.

In preperation I've added an 18k GVW stacked plate aux. transmission cooler, Air Lift 1000 rear air bags w/ onboard compressor, Prodigy 3 brake controller w/ 7 prong plug, load range-E 10-ply Cooper S/T Maxx tires, Ultra Gauge, Andersen No-Sway WD hitch and a 4Ucam wireless rear camera. If it will get us through half of next summer camping within 4 hrs from home we'll be good.

I also picked up a Sherline LM 1000 tongue weight scale so I can be sure to not overload the FJ's rated capacity.

I "think" it will do a decent job temporarily.............of course I could always throw in a few safe sways on the way home from picking it up to seal the deal early on the new Tundra
Old 08-18-2016, 03:24 PM   #12

I thought the refrigerators in the Hummingbirds were only 2-way (propane/120vac), is this correct?

Or are they actually the 3-way version with 12vdc power option as well?

Thanks.
Old 08-18-2016, 03:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01tundra View Post
I thought the refrigerators in the Hummingbirds were only 2-way (propane/120vac), is this correct?

Or are they actually the 3-way version with 12vdc power option as well?

Thanks.
The specs listed on Jayco's website show only a 2-way Norcold - I didn't see an option for 3-way. The 12vdc option sucks up the amps - for the small 2.7cf Norcold I thinks it's about a 12amp draw. You don't get far with a standard Group 24 battery and that kind of draw.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 05:42 PM   #14

Ok thanks, that's what I was thinking.

I've read several threads with complaints about refrigerators getting hot while traveling in propane mode (not necessarily Hummingbirds).

Is this a typical issue with propane powered refrigerators?

We have a 12 VDC / 120 VAC Engel 35 qt. refrigerator/freezer for the truck that works really good. It Draws under 2 amps in DC mode. We could use that during travel instead of the one in the TT, but I was hoping not to have to double up on refrigerators due to the extra weight, but if it means avoiding ruined food......
Old 08-18-2016, 07:40 PM   #15

Okay y'all, I stopped by the dealer today to check on our Hummingbird. It looks like Norcold has received 3 calls this week on the Hummingbird refrigerator issue of heating up. There is some kind of a fix that will help the flame heat the required part instead of being blown about by wind turbulence while traveling. The flame is not being blown out. They should have the part delivered in a few days and then we can try it out again. Yes it is a 120VAC and LP model.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Ok thanks, that's what I was thinking.

I've read several threads with complaints about refrigerators getting hot while traveling in propane mode (not necessarily Hummingbirds).

Is this a typical issue with propane powered refrigerators?

We have a 12 VDC / 120 VAC Engel 35 qt. refrigerator/freezer for the truck that works really good. It Draws under 2 amps in DC mode. We could use that during travel instead of the one in the TT, but I was hoping not to have to double up on refrigerators due to the extra weight, but if it means avoiding ruined food......
The fridges with the top fridge vent on the side such as the Hummingbird and most of the other smaller units I've seen are not as efficient at venting the heat when compared to units that have roof vents, especially when under tow as the air flowing by the side of the unit can affect how well the heat is exhausted. Installing a vent fan to assist with heat exhaust on the side-vented units makes a noticeable difference.

The inside temperature of the trailer can also have a negative effect on the fridge performance which is why we now have sun screens for all the side windows and the bathroom skylight when traveling on hot sunny days.

I think propane mode is actually more efficient than 120vac but gets a bum rap due to the decrease in performance while going down the road.
TT: 2015 Jay Flight SLX 195RB Baja Edition, Andersen No-Sway (Traded in)
ttavasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:51 AM   #17

Thanks for the info, I'm going to search for fan assist threads to get some ideas.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat.Hegler View Post
Okay y'all, I stopped by the dealer today to check on our Hummingbird. It looks like Norcold has received 3 calls this week on the Hummingbird refrigerator issue of heating up. There is some kind of a fix that will help the flame heat the required part instead of being blown about by wind turbulence while traveling. The flame is not being blown out. They should have the part delivered in a few days and then we can try it out again. Yes it is a 120VAC and LP model.
When you get it fixed can you let us know what the part number/description is so we can try to have it ready for ours when it gets here?

Thanks.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:17 AM   #19

Will do!
Old 08-25-2016, 10:26 AM   #20

Quote:
When you get it fixed can you let us know what the part number/description is so we can try to have it ready for ours when it gets here?

Thanks.
Here's the part number: Norcold 629520 Heat Deflector Service Cap Kit
I found it on Amazon. However it has not been road tested to see if this is the cure.
Pat
https://www.amazon.com/Norcold-62952.../dp/B008KWOMQ8