Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-09-2016, 07:05 AM   #1

New Hummingbird

Recently purchased new Hummingbird 17RK. Have taken now on two weekend trips. Very happy overall. Had a piece of ceiling molding fall down which I just reattached myself . Only issue we have had is we can't get the fridge to light on propane and there seems to be a lot of air in the line when using the water pump . The layout and design for the size of the trailer is very well engineered, functional, and high quality . Any tips on our two issues is appreciated .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
paulandkaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 07:17 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulandkaci View Post
Recently purchased new Hummingbird 17RK. Have taken now on two weekend trips. Very happy overall. Had a piece of ceiling molding fall down which I just reattached myself . Only issue we have had is we can't get the fridge to light on propane and there seems to be a lot of air in the line when using the water pump . The layout and design for the size of the trailer is very well engineered, functional, and high quality . Any tips on our two issues is appreciated .

Congrats on the new unit! There is probably air in the propane line for the fridge. If the propane has been turned off for a while I would recommend lighting the stove to bleed the air out of the propane lines. After the stove is functioning like it should, turn it off and then try the refrigerator. The fridge may need to be cycled a couple of times before it lights.
16Eagle314BHDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 09:22 AM   #3

Nice!

We ordered the exact same TT and are currently waiting for it to be built, can't wait until it arrives.
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 11:17 AM   #4

X2 on the air in the propane lines. Get the stove lit first and then try the fridge. ON the water pump, make sure the valve for winterizing is not left open. Could be sucking air through there perhaps???

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016, 01:15 PM   #5

Congratulations and welcome!

X3 on the air in the propane lines
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:20 AM   #6

We just bought a 17RK yesterday. Now you've got me worried about molding!
The Annoyed Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 06:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Annoyed Man View Post
We just bought a 17RK yesterday. Now you've got me worried about molding!

It was very minor. It was a piece of the ceiling molding that covers the seam joint. I used 3M heavy duty double stick tape and some Gorilla glue and it is solidly in place after multiple trips.

paulandkaci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:25 AM   #8
Lost in the Woods

If your fridge still has not lit, run all your propane appliances: water heater, stove, oven and rear BBQ hookup if you have it, for 10-15 minutes and then switch your fridge to propane and check it every 10 minutes (for about a half hour) until it stays running on propane. You'll only have to do this the first time as there is probably still air in the lines.

New camper looks great, happy camping.
Ottawasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 10:19 AM   #9

My molding above kitchen on my 17RK completely fell off a week after getting trailer. replaced it with gorilla tape, been fine so far.
tech411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 12:20 PM   #10

Our 17RK comes off the production line on 11/1.

Since it's about 4 weeks past the "worst case" delivery date I believe the first thing I'll do when I go to pick it up is pull on the infamous piece of trim and see if it falls off and then come pick it up the following weekend after they fix it.......what's another week now anyways !
01tundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 11:24 AM   #11

Our frig didn't work on Propane our first trip out, we took it back, and they blew the pipes out (burner assembly) for spiders and insects, they love the gas! It worked for the next few trips and then DH had to blow it out again for the last trip! So dealer had spiders and after awhile so did we!

So if lighting the stove works for your air pump but not for the frig, check the spiders out!
Old 11-25-2016, 06:19 PM   #12

I also lost a piece of molding but unfortunately mine broke in half somehow after hitting the floor (came loose in motion). I run the stove top regularly along with the furnace and those work fine, but the fridge still won't light. Any suggestions on "blowing" out the lines (e.g. spiders and such)? I'm not sure what is meant by that.

Thanks!
m0fugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 07:14 PM   #13

I don't know it this helps. But during my walk thru, the rep told me always light the stove first and let it lite for a minute or two, then light the fridge. This way it purges all the air thru the stove which is the last item in the gas line.

Please post and let us know. I picked up my Hummingbird and it went straight to storage, so I haven't even tried it yet.
87Yugo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 11:16 AM   #14

2017RK Hummingbird experience

Hi there Hummers! We got a 17RK built in August 2016 and have had it out on a short 10 day trip and now a month and still going. We love ours - and plenty of room for storage, eh? Those bigger rigs must collect a lot of stuff... 😄

This is what I can say about issues others talk of we also have had.

Molding, trim: Yup you may have a few little pieces come loose. Most are quite fixable by your own ingenuity, though the panel holding the furnace thermostat (bathroom wall) just plain didn't have enough of those little staples in it after jiggling around for a thousand miles. We will probably buy one of those little staple guns for future repairs, but our dealer happily fixed all our minor carpentry repairs after our first jaunt.

Propane, fridge (on propane), yellow cooktop flames, etc.: There do seem to be a few issues with the propane system and appliances, but I don't think it's design or manufacture, I think it could be the users responsibility to be sure their system is operating correctly... Number one, don't turn the gas valve on too fast! That could activate the leak detector built into the bottle and give you really low/no propane. Number two, no matter how good your dealer did (or you in subsequent fooling) in prepping your unit, if you're having gas issues try the steps at this link to normalize pressure in the lines and regulators.

http://bbq.about.com/od/grillsfaq/f/f070604d.htm

I knew there was a problem because of how much yellow there was on the cooktop flame tips (and soot, messy), but many other issues described with fridges on propane etc. could be fixed with this procedure, it totally fixed our yellow tip flames.

As for starting the fridge on propane, assuming there are no plugs in the flue, it is not an instant process. If you did the purge step in the link, and run the cooktop to bleed air out of most of the line, I finally learned to just hold the gas temp dial in (like lighting a pilot on home gas appliances) for about 10 seconds before I even click it to get it to light. Then within about 3 clicks it will light every time. Saves a sore finger!

Never had an issue with furnace or hot water heater lighting automatically, they have powerful flames!, but we did find the propane line to the hot water heater had been pinched shut because the hw heater had been installed on top of the line - ouch! - that was a warranty issue to find and fix... So if your propane hot water works at first and then won't, get that checked out.

Water line air: mostly ours has no problem but we haven't used it that much. One time it did have this issue of what sounded like air just stuck in the pump so it would not cycle off/full pressure, and the bypass valve was definitely closed, went on for a whole day boondocking. But then it resolved. Try running the pump while it is rocking to dislodge the bubble? It still produced almost normal pressure but very noisy to have pump going constantly.

We put a clothes bar over the toilet for more hanging clothes storage (intension from Amazon, held in place with heavy duty Velcro) - and since we have vowed never to use the toilet - hah hah! 😁

We also removed the cooktop from the counter and put plumbers putty under there all around good since we found sink water finds it's way under there and into the corner cupboard... No more!

Punch a hole in the bottom of your battery box if you find it filling with rain water. (Test with a piece of paper first to be sure it's not battery acid! Paper dipped in it that turns brown is bad!)

And the Jack It bike rack is fantastic! Got that instead of the TV.

Enjoy yours, we sure are! R&R
ronlavoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 05:36 PM   #15

Got ours a month ago, had some minor issues- LEDs under awning didn't work and furnace had a bad flame sensor. Other than that no real big problems. Propane system was fun and everything lights and runs fine. Took it out on the coldest weekend we've had this year and it staid comfortable inside. Got it out this weekend for a nice Christmas getaway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
paggy00271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2016, 07:39 PM   #16

2017RK Hummingbird experience

Peggy - looks like heaven to us!! A fire pit and a screen over the picnic table - woo-hoo!!! We're in breezy, humid TX now so no bugs except fire ants...

All: about the Furrion sound system DV3200 on these babies - tonight we hooked up a streaming Sirius XM satellite channel (via campground WiFi of course, you would never use data for that right) - via Bluetooth so my phone's tunes are playing on the external (under awning) speakers. And this is after its first official hand car spray wash (which did get the speakers douched...). Not great bass but super convenient and SUPER FUN!! Would also work for music stored on your device, but you have to figure out how...

Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
1210160825.jpg  
ronlavoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 04:53 PM   #17

Our Norcold lights after burning the stove tops for 1 minute, then turn the gas knob on the fridge up to low, push and start clicking. If we turn all the way up to where it says to light, the gas blows out the pilot! Might be the distance between the igniter and pilot is off, but I’m not changing a thing after trying this when all else failed.