Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-22-2020, 08:28 AM   #1

new Jay Flight roof issue

I was up on my Jay Flight roof a few days ago to clean it for winter storage. This is a new RV for us and still under warranty. While walking on the roof, I noticed a soft area between two roof panels. By soft, I mean that the roof slightly deflected when I walked on it. I don’t think this is rot. My guess is the roof panel isn’t properly fastened to one of the trusses. Perhaps the roof truss is out of position and doesn’t support one end of the roof panel. The roof appears to be otherwise solid and I wouldn’t be concerned except that when the panel deflects, it deforms the rubber roofing slightly at the seam. This may lead to problems down the road. My question is, has anyone else found a similar problem? If so, has this lead to a repair or problems. I’d bring it into a dealer for service but unless the roof fails during the warranty period, I doubt they would cover a repair.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:48 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichCarter View Post
snip.....My guess is the roof panel isn’t properly fastened to one of the trusses.....snip
I would be pro-active and take the TT to your RV dealer for a warranty service inspection...., at a minimum get your concern documented and in the Jayco system (request copy). Roof concerns are best addressed asap, especially when under warranty. If possible, take a couple photos the area in question showing the degree of movement.

RV roofs may exhibit some minor movement when walking across them, but I would be a little concerned based on the location of your observation with a new TT. What you don't need is the edge of a roof panel working its way through the TPO material over time.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 02:32 PM   #3

That sounds like good advice. The camper is in storage for the winter so nothing can be done until spring. I'll post something here in a few months after the local dealer inspects it. I'm pretty sure they won't cover anything unless it tears at the seam but it's easy enough to bring it in for a look over. I'll be careful walking there from now on, maybe put a board across the seam.

Once the warranty expires, I might run a strip of eternabond along that seam.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 03:30 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I would send your RV dealership a detailed e-mail identifying your findings even though the TT is in storage (initiate dated paper trail), and confirm receipt with a phone call. Depending on your RV dealership's initial response, you may at some point need to send Jayco a copy as well.

If upon RV dealership inspection there is a factory assembly defect confirmed (panel not secured as designed, etc.) with the area in question, then it should be corrected immediately under warranty to insure no associated damage takes place.

I had an issue on my 2018 TT (under warranty) where the factory didn't trim off the top edge of the aluminum siding enough in a couple areas, which resulted in the aluminum edging noticeably raising the TPO roofing material above the roofing surface. It was only a matter of time before the sharp aluminum edge would puncture through the TPO.

Jayco approved my RV dealership's submitted warranty service claim to repair the factory defect which involved removing the metal gutter trim, backing the TPO away from subject areas, trimming back the aluminum as required, and reassembly.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 05:46 AM   #5

When I was on my roof it would deflect if I stepped in between the trusses.After I noticed I try to only step on the trusses which are solid.
Old 10-23-2020, 07:06 AM   #6

It depends a bit on what you mean by soft spot. Travel trailer roofs are not built as sturdy as say a Class A RV roof is. Mine has some deflection between the trusses. My 240lbs on the hoof doesn't help either It won't hurt to have it checked into though.

2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 Ford F250 6.7PSD
DanNJanice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:04 AM   #7

One additional suggestion, copy Jayco Customer Service on every warranty issue. I had a warranty issue with Jayco that they denied stating that I had not notified them. Thankfully my Support Advisor kept detailed history and went to battle for me. But the Jayco rep that I spoke with later said not all dealers are quite as thorough.
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roof