Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-31-2018, 05:41 PM   #1

New Jayco Jay Flight 28rls on order

Hello all,

Great forum and lots of good information.

We ordered a Jay Flight 28RLS before Christmas and have a TBD build date of late March.

Couple of questions:

- is a outside propane BBQ quick connect standard or is it an option?
- is there issues with build quality now that they are under Thor? I guess you hear about bad things more than good experiences
- anything I should be aware of when we take delivery? Already downloaded the checklist from this site

Thanks for your input.

Tim
Timbit31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 01:10 AM   #2

Congrats on the new trailer order.

We have a 2017 Jayflight 28 RLS. We love the floorplan. We've had some minor issues mostly small cosmetic stuff, trim coming loose, loose body to frame nuts. Nothing I could not fix. I can't speak to the quality comparison of pre-Thor -vs- Thor as this is my first Jayco RV. I think the features and style of the Jayflight compare favorably with others in its price class. I have the elite package and the propane Quick connect on the back and the rear hitch receiver were standard. I have insulated and compartmentalized the space under the queen bed and reinforced the bed platform and replaced the gestapo issue mattress with a real mattress. So far we have traveled a couple thousand miles and spent about 70 enjoyable days in her without issue. Look it over carefully before you take delivery. Work the slide and awning in and out and check all appliances and fixtures while pressurized. Look at every inch of ceiling and wall trim. Enjoy your new rig.
Old 02-01-2018, 03:46 AM   #3

We just picked up a 2018 White Hawk 28RL which is a very similar floor plan except some slight differences in the bedroom entry. The build quality looks to be better (but not perfect) over our old 24RKS. Ours has the rear quick connect for an outside BBQ. I agree, great floor plan.
Scott_Trailer_Newbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 07:33 AM   #4

Thanks to both of you for your replies!
Old 02-01-2018, 09:00 PM   #5

Picking my 28RLS up on Saturday, love the floor plan. Hope they are ready for my PDI, every inch....
jwtalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 10:39 PM   #6

JW, Good for you. The sales people or techs seem to want to set the pace of the PDI. When I buy new again, I will remind them that the inspection, is My inspection and not their final sale demonstration.
Old 02-01-2018, 11:33 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyLast View Post
. . . I have insulated and compartmentalized the space under the queen bed and reinforced the bed platform . . .
Excellent idea! Had a few questions if you don't mind. I assume you insulated the basement area underneath the head of the bed? How did you secure the insulation? What kind of insulation did you use? Thanks!
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:41 PM   #8

2016 28RLS here.
Only change I've made, swapped the furnace registers from between bedroom and bathroom.
Way too much heat was coming to my feet while sleeping in the winter.
Everything else. I'm very happy.
Vaquero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:28 AM   #9

We have a 2016 28RLS (2 years now). My wife loves the open space in the back and the windows to look out. My only complaints are the recliners we have you have to pull away from the back windows so they don't hit when reclined. The one next to the door you can't pull it away and recline in it, you're feet hit the sink counter. Our other complaint is that the slide separates the bathroom from the living area. If we stop and use the trailer to eat, if you don't/can't extend the slide out, you have to exit the back of the trailer and go in the front door thru the bedroom to get to the bathroom. That's our own little issues, otherwise we're extremely happy with the layout.
After thought... at some of our campsites, I look and try to plan the view (water/mountain, etc) for the rear/left side where all the windows are. Makes for some great viewing while in the trailer.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:19 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post
Excellent idea! Had a few questions if you don't mind. I assume you insulated the basement area underneath the head of the bed? How did you secure the insulation? What kind of insulation did you use? Thanks!
Aluminium backed " bubble wrap" ( my name for it) and 3" aluminum foil tape. I purchased both at home depot. I added extra 2×2's at right angle between the 2×2's supporting the bed platform. I built a small wall separating the pass thru from under- bed compartment. The under mattresss framing rests on the added wall, giving strong support. I saw the ideas here from others mods. That is another example of why this forum is so useful!

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2018, 06:01 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post
Photos of underbed modification

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
Old 02-02-2018, 07:40 PM   #12

Scott Newbie, The White Hawk RLS was a consideration for us. We preferred the completely separate bathroom/bedroom in the Jay Flight and two 40 gallon freshwater tanks tipped the scale. If the 2017 Whitehawk would have been available with the window over the queen bed my wife would have wanted the Whitehawk for sure.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:41 PM   #13

ScottyLast, thanks for posting the pics! The pictures clarify everything. Looks good!
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2018, 11:41 PM   #14

Hi, we brought home our 2018 Jay Flight 28RLS last week. Very excited, still loading & organizing her for her 1st trip out, but I like to sleep in her at home 1st. Easier to work out some of the bugs here. I too love the big windows in the back, & the recliners, as well as the trifold couch. I’m short, 5’4”, so I can use the recliner closest to the door without any problems. Hubby is 6’6.5” tall, so he’ll get stuck in the other one. Does anyone know what size tv will fit in the bedroom?
Axel & Sunshine
James & Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 12:38 AM   #15

I agree, they're great for viewing the outdoors from the indoors.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:41 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyLast View Post
Scott Newbie, The White Hawk RLS was a consideration for us. We preferred the completely separate bathroom/bedroom in the Jay Flight and two 40 gallon freshwater tanks tipped the scale. If the 2017 Whitehawk would have been available with the window over the queen bed my wife would have wanted the Whitehawk for sure.
I think? the only difference is you have a hindged door for the bedroom where our White Hawk has a sliding door with slider socket for the bedroom.
Old 02-03-2018, 11:43 AM   #17

Congratulations. I have your predecessor, a '13 26 RLS. We too love the open living space and the beautiful views of the outside. I hope your trailer brings you many great camping memories. We do love ours.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 03:44 PM   #18

When we were looking I ran across this floor plan. IMHO, in this length and weight it’s about the best floor plan out there.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by James & Carol View Post
Hi, we brought home our 2018 Jay Flight 28RLS last week. Very excited, still loading & organizing her for her 1st trip out, but I like to sleep in her at home 1st. Easier to work out some of the bugs here. I too love the big windows in the back, & the recliners, as well as the trifold couch. I’m short, 5’4”, so I can use the recliner closest to the door without any problems. Hubby is 6’6.5” tall, so he’ll get stuck in the other one. Does anyone know what size tv will fit in the bedroom?
We hung a 19" LED TV in the bedroom of our 2017 28RLS.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

2017 Jayco 28RLS
2018 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.2L Gas
Equalizer 12K WD Hitch

Greg&Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 05:06 PM   #20

Hello, my 28RLS is on its way to the dealer and will be picking up soon. Have you found any issues with yours that I should watch out for?

Thanks,
Tim