Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-08-2014, 07:15 AM   #1

New Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS

We have just purchased a New Jayco Jay Flight 32BHDS with fiberglass sides. We are new to travel trailer ownership and are looking for advise, tips, tricks to think about for setting up, accessories, etc. We also still have to decide on Extended Warranty and Interior/Exterior treatments that the dealers try to up-sell you. Typically I do not buy this stuff, but being new to this industry is there reasons I would get it.

Our TV is a 2007 GMC Sierra 2500HD with 4.10 Rear End and 6.0L V8.

We have a seasonal space reserved for next spring (which is when we take delivery on the unit) and we plan on traveling 2-3 times per year. We are from Ontario Canada

Thanks for any advise and/or suggestions.
sperdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 05:44 PM   #2

I've never found value in extended warranties. Most issues occur early on or late in ownership. If you take the funds that would be used on the extended warranty, you could draw from it for repairs.
lightcs1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 08:53 PM   #3

Here is how I approached the extended warranty issue on our new TT after purchasing one on our previous bought used TT.
Most appliances have their own warranty, just look in the books that came with them, also look at the cost of the warranty. Put that amount off to the side and I bet in the amount of time the warranty covers you will not spend that amount of money for repairs.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 01:28 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum.....Save your money and put that money in the bank....parking your trailer at a seasonal site will see less warranty items as the trailer is not banging around.

Enjoy the trailer!

2013 F150 EXL Screw 5.0 4x4 3:55 locking ( not towing the above trailer with this truck)

Spending my children's inheritances on my toys!
sask934 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:36 AM   #5

Congratulations on the new TT and welcome to The Forum! Extended warranties are HUGE money makers for the retailers that sell them - as well as the underwriters. That's why they push the heck out of them. I agree with all the previous posters. Your Jayco is covered by a 2-year bumper-to-bumper warranty, and the appliances, frame, axles, etc. have their own warranties. Bank the money, collect the interest, use it to pay for pay for repairs. Most important: be sure to keep up the maintenance!

Go out and enjoy your new trailer!
Old 10-09-2014, 05:46 AM   #6

We also have this model and love it! One thing we find invaluable is something we found on this site. Go to Walmart and buy the child fridge locks by Safety1st, $5.00 for your outside fridge. While traveling things really shift around and pushed the fridge open every time. These work like a charm. We also changed out the faucet in the outside sink to a high arch. You will notice almost immediately that you cannot fit anything under the faucet out there. You can use a regular household faucet. Also found that on this site. Enjoy!
shultis01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:03 AM   #7

Thanks for the advise and comments, all are great. I am definitely not going with the extended warranty.
sperdu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 06:48 AM   #8

We didn't either. Things went wrong with it in the first year and were covered. Nothing has malfunctioned yet this year with it, knock on wood
shultis01 is offline   Reply With Quote