Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-05-2014, 01:56 PM   #1

Smile New Jayco Whitehawk 29RKES Owner

Hello to every happy camper in this forum.

I recently went to an RV Show in Tampa, FL and traded in my previous unit with a Jayco Whitehawk 29RKES.

I do have to say that Jayco did a wonderful job building this unit. I never had any Jayco travel trailer before, but I heard a lot of good things about the quality of the units that I decided to take the risk and go for it. .

However there are some additions that the dealership did not complete when I went to pick it up, but there are minor details and it happens to any unit.

Few things I wanted to ask from anyone who recently purchased a similar unit .

1) When I went to pick up the unit, the dealership said that this camper did not come with a set of keys. They gave me a set of keys that Jayco overnight to them. How can I get a second set of keys?
2) The electric jack is blowing a fuse when after is done lifting the leg. The fuse is the one outside by the battery is. Should I change the fuse from 25 to 30 or is there anything else that I should check to see if the jack is properly grounded.? I am not a very technical person when it comes to mechanical stuff.
3) Does anyone knows who the actual manufacture could be for the outside refrigerator? The reason I ask is because I was looking for to set the thermostat, but the unit does not has one. The manual said that there is one but I think I got the wrong manual for that refrigerator ( it is BP). Also, it is supposed to stay on all the time the camper is connected to the 50 AMP?

I sent an email to Jayco yesterday morning, but so far I had not hear anything from them yet.

Other than that, I really love the design and how it looks. The fireplace came very handy the first night.

Looking forward to hear from my new friends...

Orlando
orlstgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:00 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the forum!

You can order Bauer keys here for a few bucks:
http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ght=bauer+keys

Are you lifting the jack until it stops tight? That could be what`s blowing the fuse...

No help on the refer make, but Jayco should get back to you if you provided your VIN.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #3

Congrats on the new trailer!

1) you can get keys here: http://www.bauerproducts.com
2) Mine has a 30 amp fuse, maybe try that and see if it helps otherwise a call to the dealer
3) I,ve seen a few manufactures as our 1st fridge died and I had it replaced and the manufacture was different. Both had turn knobs to adjust the temp on the back. They were both on the back right, one on the top the other on the bottom. If you look under the fridge you will see a metal bracket with 2 small screws in it. Remove the screws and pull the fridge out and you should be able to find where to adjust. Get the temp adjusted to your liking then plug the fridge into a power strip mounted somewhere where you can access it then screw you fridge back into place. Now when you want to turn it off in between trips you can just flip the switch on power strip rather than turning the knob that adjusts the temp.

Hope this helps!

2013 White Hawk 28 DSBH
2011 Jay Feather X23J (traded-in)
2011 Ford F-150 XLT w/towing package
RoadMaster Active Suspension
Reese Trunnion Bar WDH w/Dual Cam sway control
jdorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 03:36 PM   #4

Hi :

Thanks for the tip, yes. I was lifting the jack until it stop anymore. I read in other posts that it could be that the jack was not grounded properly.

In the mean time, I used a black marker and draw a line in the jack to be aware and stop lifting the leg beyond that point.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:41 PM   #5

Orlando,
Welcome to the site. That was a great show in Tampa! Did you buy from RVOne? I bought mine right before the show from them and they have been fantastic. They do have a few issues since they just opened this Tampa Branch. They bought out Bates RV inventory with his site.
Not sure whats up with the outside fridge, mine came with the wrong manual also.

Anyway, Welcome to the site from Brandon FL
Enjoy

Tom
2015 Eagle 324BHTS
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 DirtyMax
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 05:18 PM   #6

Welcome,

We also were at the Tampa RV show and looked at the new White Hawks as we have a 2012 27 ft., White Hawk. We noted at the show that they had Jayco people from their plant (574-825-5861) in Indiana to answer questions. As for your fuse the jack should have a sticker on the front that shows it is rated at 3,500 lbs. and takes a 30-amp fuse. Also we added an 8" extension to the foot of the jack that we take off when traveling this due to the high stance of the White Hawk. Our refrigerator is a Danby with the thermostat at the upper right corner, a little hard to get to. Make sure you turn it to the coldest setting one way or the other as it gets down to 47 degrees. We did add a Bed Bath and Beyond memory foam 2" thick on top of the mattress that comes with the trailer and we love it. Remember you have a 2-year warrentiy on the trailer so that gives you awhile to find the little problems. We had a list and working through Camping World all were taken care of. In 2012 we went to the Jayco plant and they gave us a card and said if you have a problem you cannot fix with your dealer call us. We only had one item and Jayco came through. Have fun with your new camper, wish we could update, but we just got ours tweak.
rdream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:17 PM   #7

Congratulations! These responses are certainly preparing me for what to expect/look for when we get our trailer.
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:25 AM   #8

Hello Tom and thank you for your reply.

Yes, it was an awesome show and I did bought one from RVOne in Tampa. The new renovation at the dealership are amazing, but I can see some growing pains there. When I went to pick up the camper, the had the wrong work order, so few things that I wanted done are now on hold until the service department reopen.

It will take them some time to adjust to the new management because I heard that RV One kept a lot of employees from Bates, but other than that, the experience with them was good.
Old 02-06-2014, 07:32 AM   #9

Thank Rdream:

I saw a representative from Jayco and he was very helpful during my research in that unit.

I will change the fuse to a 30, but when I take it back to the dealership, I will ask them to check if the jack is properly grounded. I had to change the same fuse about 4 times when I was setting up in the campground and at home where I park it.

About the fridge, there is no rounded thermostat, but under the small compartment to put ice, I was able to see some kind of handle which I think might be the thermostat.. I will try that next time I go camping.

I really enjoying this forum. I got all the answers I needed from here, right now I have not heard anything from Jayco when I sent them an email two days ago.
Old 02-06-2014, 08:00 PM   #10

We have the same camper on order, 2014 Jayco White Hawk 29 REKS. Am looking forward to reading your posts.
safetylady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 10:13 AM   #11

Hi SafetyLady:

So far the unit is great.
When you are ready to pick yours, check and verify the following things with the person doing the walkthrough:
1) My unit came with no keys and the dealership ordered one overnight few days before I went to get the unit. They should give you two set of keys and if one is missing they should order another set for you. They did that to us.
2) Verify that the Electric Hitch is properly grounded. I spoke to a person who is a mechanic and lifting the leg completely should not blow any fuse. Test the electric hitch when you get there.
3) After we went camping the same weekend, the TV in the living room areas cannot be attached to the lock that will prevent it to move while the vehicle is in montion. It looks like the body of the tv is a little big and the corners of the tv is hitting the wall ( brick decorater wall) . I just went to HomeDepot and bout a Velcro strap to keep the tv safe. If the unit that you got is the one that you press a button to lift the tv, then you should not worry.
Other than that.. is a wonderful unit. Have fun with it.
Old 02-11-2014, 03:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlstgo View Post
Hello Tom and thank you for your reply.

Yes, it was an awesome show and I did bought one from RVOne in Tampa. The new renovation at the dealership are amazing, but I can see some growing pains there. When I went to pick up the camper, the had the wrong work order, so few things that I wanted done are now on hold until the service department reopen.

It will take them some time to adjust to the new management because I heard that RV One kept a lot of employees from Bates, but other than that, the experience with them was good.
The renovations are looking great! They sent me an e-mail late last week asking for a quick testimony and would send me a gift card for $100. Filled it out and the card came right away! Waiting for the parts department to open to spend it.
Sean, the Salesman I was dealing with worked at Bates before the sale...However the Tech that did the PDI was a transfer from Orlando.
Did you buy at the show?

Tom
2015 Eagle 324BHTS
2015 Silverado 2500HD 6.6 DirtyMax
Redhorse 823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlstgo View Post
...the TV in the living room areas cannot be attached to the lock that will prevent it to move while the vehicle is in montion. It looks like the body of the tv is a little big and the corners of the tv is hitting the wall ( brick decorater wall) . I just went to HomeDepot and bout a Velcro strap to keep the tv safe. If the unit that you got is the one that you press a button to lift the tv, then you should not worry.
Other than that.. is a wonderful unit. Have fun with it.
We have the same unit on order, from the same dealership that SafetyLady is using too. It sounds like you have the TV that mounts above the fireplace - that's what we ordered, but haven't actually see one yet. Is the TV on a swivel that pivots towards the theater seating? With it not locking back into place, is it the TV that's too big or is it poor placement within the area it's designed to be in?

Thanks!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote