Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-28-2018, 08:14 PM   #1

New Mattress

We are looking for a new mattress for our 32BHDS. My husband is 230lbs. His back can't take the mattress that came with our trailer. It has indents where we sleep and we can feel the plywood under the mattress. What are some recommendations for a new mattress? I see a lot of memory foam options, but will those hold up for my husband? Do you need a special mattress pad for memory foam? We don't want to break the bank, but also don't want to buy junk that won't last.
tmclaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:47 AM   #2

The general consensus is that the Jayco supplied mattress sucks. We got rid of our before ever sleeping on it. Just laying down on it at the dealership for 5 minutes and we knew it had to go. There are MANY mattress options out there. A good quality memory gel mattress will hold up to 230 lbs. We have a Brentwood Homes memory gel we got on amazon. We liked it so much we got one for the house as our nightly sleeper. It goes right on the plywood platform in the trailer. No special pad required. Our rig uses a regular size queen, but Brentwood makes the RV sizes also. They also have a great return policy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J0I8RQ2...ing=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-29-2018, 09:09 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
M wife and I bought a 3 inch memory foam topper with cooling gel pad at Walmart. The only thing we do t know if if we put a regular mattress pad over the cooling gel pad is if that will negate the cooling
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:09 AM   #4

We are getting our Zinus 10 inch memory foam today (maybe, the shipper actually lost it in transit but promised it for today).

Reasonable price and 6,000 reviews so I hope it will work. I will report here after we try it for a weeks trip after the 4th.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:42 AM   #5

Mattress and Platform update

We used the stock mattress for a couple of trips but knew we were going to replace it as soon as we had time to do some research. We ended up using one from Mattress Insider. We tried the 8" but it was too soft and too heavy. They have a policy that if you do not like the mattress within the first 30 days you can donate to a local charity, which we did. We then ordered the 5.5" and slept like a baby on a recent 5 week trip. Just as important is the platform. Our platform was cheaply built and you could feel the ridges and it bowed towards the middle. I also need a slight slope to the bed because I have acid reflux. I built a wedge and screwed it to the top of the existing lightweight platform. Made for a really solid surface. The combination of improved platform and new mattress was fantastic. You can see pictures of the wedge platform in my modifications album.
dartwest is offline   Reply With Quote