Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-28-2011, 07:08 PM   #1

Hi all!!

New camper picking up Wednesday, been camping for a while though. Picking up a Jayco 32bhds and have a few questions. I towed my old camper a Terry 37' TT about 11000#s with my 2001 f-250 2wd 6 spd. The 250 towed great with a weight distributing hitch but I want to tow thw new camper with my @002 Excursion 7.3.

The Ex is heavier and auto and the f-250 has airbags, What do you guys suggest I do the the Ex, to make it a safe reliable tow vehicle?

Thanks

Barney
DieselX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
Site Team

Here`s a couple threads that may interest you, these guys have similar combos. You could send them a PM for more info:

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthrea...ight=excursion

http://www.jaycoowners.com/showthread.php?t=558&highlight=excursion
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:20 PM   #3

Thanks Crabman
Old 03-29-2011, 11:29 AM   #4

Congrats on the new tt DieselX and welcome to the Jayco Owners Forum!
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #5

The only thing you'll really NEED to do is improve the rear end sag. I'd add a set of air bags and hit the road running.

Other than that, there is a LOT of stuff that you may WANT to do to improve performance...
TexasA&M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 06:10 PM   #6

Diesel, Don't do the airbag thing. Get a Roadmaster Active Suspension, it will be the best $300.00 you ever spent. I too tow with an Ex. and tow a 32BHDS. I did lots of research before our trip to Disney from NY. Being the only driver I wanted a nice, safe tow and did not want to arrive all twisted up from the drive. Check out my signature to see what I added to my EX. PM me if you have questions.
usmc616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmc616 View Post
Diesel, Don't do the airbag thing. Get a Roadmaster Active Suspension, it will be the best $300.00 you ever spent. I too tow with an Ex. and tow a 32BHDS. I did lots of research before our trip to Disney from NY. Being the only driver I wanted a nice, safe tow and did not want to arrive all twisted up from the drive. Check out my signature to see what I added to my EX. PM me if you have questions.
Thanks man, That's what I was thinking. Looks like we will have the same set-up!! except the motor I guess but i'm more worried about safety and comfort. Looks like you have the same camper as well, how you like it?
Old 03-29-2011, 08:19 PM   #8

I love the TT. We have 4 kids, 14,13,11,and 4, 2 dogs and sometimes Grandpa comes along. It is big enough on a rainy day for all of us. This is our 3rd TT in 4 years so we now have everything we want in a TT. There are a couple of things i wish Jayco did better, like the grey water release, with the slide out it is hard to get under there. i use an old awning rod to reach it. Also I wish the awning covered both doors.

I upgraded my TV from a 1500 Suburban to my Ex. before I purchased my TT. I researched a lot on FTE and found a few fellow campers hauling 10,000lbs TT's with Excursions. I took all their advice and then did more of my own research.

The RAS is great while towing or not towing, it will help stiffen the rear suspension and prevent axle wrap as well as improve ride and handling. I installed a hellwig rear sway bar as well. The new shocks helped the ride immensley. I wanted a Hensley Arrow hitch but the price was too high, instead I went with the Reese dual cam and once it was set up correctly I could not of pictured a better tow experience. The prodigy brake controller is another great investment.

My buddy installed airbags on his Ex and he tows a 10,000lb Keystone. He came for a ride when we got our new TT and he now wished he did not go with airbags and the harsh ride they bring with them.

If you ever want to sell your Ex. let me know. Good luck with the new TT and ask as many questions as you want, I may be able to answer a few.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:08 AM   #9

Thanks Joe, Right now I have a Valley weight dist. hitch that works okay. I will def. look into the RAS when we get back and start tweaking things a bit. I feel alot better about towing now. My work truck being lighter and a 6sp. is totally different when I tow my work trailer (4000#) but after towing it the last 2 weeks with the X while I work on my truck I realize that different doesn't mean worse haha.
Old 03-31-2011, 06:34 AM   #10

At least with the diesel you have the tow mode. The gas tranny only has a 4 speed.