Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-04-2017, 08:10 AM   #1

New Member / New Jayco

Greetings from a new, 2017 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH owner. It's been almost fifteen years since we had our last trailer, so there's a little bit of a re-learning curve. Didn't have the internet when we got our last trailer. Much easier accessing the information we need to get our selves back into trailering, now.

We're getting our 26BH ready to go. Mountains of boxes have arrived from Amazon with things like a generator, surge protector, silverware, pots & pans....you know, all that household stuff and trailer stuff. My checklist of items to acquire, stow, or install is almost completely checked off.

We're planning to do a lot of boondocking, so we're gearing up with that in mind. Seriously looking into a smarter battery charger, so the generator can get the battery topped off quicker. Reports on the charger in the trailer's WFCO system are iffy.

Almost done getting the trailer prepped. Found five holes in the roof sealant at the leading edge, and got a tube of free Dicor caulk from the dealer, and fixed it....no apparent water intrusion. Strongly considering going to Eternabond tape in the near future. Scrubbed the TPO roof, and coated it with 303 protectant.

Scrubbed the trailer and waxed it with Collinite Fleetwax (we sail too, and this stuff is embraced by many for boat protection). And, am about to treat all the plastic trim and bits on the outside of the trailer with 303.

I've never liked the decal/graphics on trailers, and they can be a source of problems later on with fading, bubbling, peeling. So, yeah, I removed all of them except the "Jayco" on the front and back, and the Jay Flight bird decal on the front. Love the way it looks, now. But, to each their own, right? I used Goo Gone to get rid of residual decal adhesive, washed those areas, and today I'll re-wax where the decals were.

We'll be traveling with our two Siamese cats, Kit and Kaboodle (Boo), so I installed a pet door in the "nightstand" by the queen bed up front, for access to the litter box under there. Hoping they don't poop in the middle of the night, eh? Oh, still have to decide where to put the scratching post.

My wife snores like a drunk trucker, so she gets the queen, and I'm taking the bottom bunk at the rear. I removed the top bunk...couple of little tricks to that, but it came out cleanly. Just need to seal all the screw holes with a little colored caulk. Put up some of the wire rack home closet shelving on the rear wall of my "bedroom" for clothes, and "nightstand" use.

We'll be yanking it down the road with a 2017 Ford F-150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost engine and 10 speed transmission. Have the Centerline weight distribution and sway control.

The Plan:
I'm retired and wife retires in December. We live in Michigan, and will store the trailer nearby for summer use. Come Fall, we'll take the trailer down South, maybe Alabama, and find a good storage place there so we can depart Michigan in winter and have it waiting for us for trips to wherever. Someplace warmer?

Wow, this new guys sure talks a LOT. Not to worry, from now on I'll just be chiming in with the occasional tech question, or to offer tech answers. We've been out of trailering for a long time, but we have a 28 ft. sailboat, and the similarities are many...keep the water out, keep the battery charged, etc..
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 08:19 AM   #2

Congratulations and welcome!
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 09:27 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
I've never liked the decal/graphics on trailers, and they can be a source of problems later on with fading, bubbling, peeling. So, yeah, I removed all of them except the "Jayco" on the front and back, and the Jay Flight bird decal on the front. Love the way it looks, now.
Welcome... I'd like see a pic of your trailer without decals; I'm thinking of doing the same thing.
Thanks

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:29 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to BillV Send a message via MSN to BillV
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
Greetings from a new, 2017 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH owner. It's been almost fifteen years since we had our last trailer, so there's a little bit of a re-learning curve. Didn't have the internet when we got our last trailer. Much easier accessing the information we need to get our selves back into trailering, now.

We're getting our 26BH ready to go. Mountains of boxes have arrived from Amazon with things like a generator, surge protector, silverware, pots & pans....you know, all that household stuff and trailer stuff. My checklist of items to acquire, stow, or install is almost completely checked off.

We're planning to do a lot of boondocking, so we're gearing up with that in mind. Seriously looking into a smarter battery charger, so the generator can get the battery topped off quicker. Reports on the charger in the trailer's WFCO system are iffy.

Almost done getting the trailer prepped. Found five holes in the roof sealant at the leading edge, and got a tube of free Dicor caulk from the dealer, and fixed it....no apparent water intrusion. Strongly considering going to Eternabond tape in the near future. Scrubbed the TPO roof, and coated it with 303 protectant.

Scrubbed the trailer and waxed it with Collinite Fleetwax (we sail too, and this stuff is embraced by many for boat protection). And, am about to treat all the plastic trim and bits on the outside of the trailer with 303.

I've never liked the decal/graphics on trailers, and they can be a source of problems later on with fading, bubbling, peeling. So, yeah, I removed all of them except the "Jayco" on the front and back, and the Jay Flight bird decal on the front. Love the way it looks, now. But, to each their own, right? I used Goo Gone to get rid of residual decal adhesive, washed those areas, and today I'll re-wax where the decals were.

We'll be traveling with our two Siamese cats, Kit and Kaboodle (Boo), so I installed a pet door in the "nightstand" by the queen bed up front, for access to the litter box under there. Hoping they don't poop in the middle of the night, eh? Oh, still have to decide where to put the scratching post.

My wife snores like a drunk trucker, so she gets the queen, and I'm taking the bottom bunk at the rear. I removed the top bunk...couple of little tricks to that, but it came out cleanly. Just need to seal all the screw holes with a little colored caulk. Put up some of the wire rack home closet shelving on the rear wall of my "bedroom" for clothes, and "nightstand" use.

We'll be yanking it down the road with a 2017 Ford F-150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost engine and 10 speed transmission. Have the Centerline weight distribution and sway control.

The Plan:
I'm retired and wife retires in December. We live in Michigan, and will store the trailer nearby for summer use. Come Fall, we'll take the trailer down South, maybe Alabama, and find a good storage place there so we can depart Michigan in winter and have it waiting for us for trips to wherever. Someplace warmer?

Wow, this new guys sure talks a LOT. Not to worry, from now on I'll just be chiming in with the occasional tech question, or to offer tech answers. We've been out of trailering for a long time, but we have a 28 ft. sailboat, and the similarities are many...keep the water out, keep the battery charged, etc..
If you make it to south Alabama, we highly recommend this park run by the city of Florala, Alabama. At present, storage of an RV in their lot is $1.00 a day. Operators are very friendily.

Lake Jackson RV Park at Florala | Alapark
BillV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 12:41 PM   #5

Welcome. You made me chuckle.

Interesting ideas on the decals. I will look into the boat wax. I loved your comment on the snoring wife. It sounds like you've got a pretty good plan even after 15 years. Enjoy the bunk bed
ScottyLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:02 AM   #6

Congrats and welcome to the forum. Gulf Shores is a wonderful part of Alabama and the State Park there is full hook up and really nice. Can't stay there full time but great place from which to search for your storage place.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:10 AM   #7

Greetings from Arizona, have family in Monroe Michigan.
Attached Thumbnails
5.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote