Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-13-2019, 09:39 AM   #1

New Owner 2014 Jayco Jayflight FB22

I just recently purchased a 2014 Jayco Jayflight FB22 from a friend who was the original owner. The trailer was hardly used and in great condition. However, it did sit for a while and was not covered so I spent a good month going over it top to bottom, front to back cleaning and inspecting for any issues.

While under the RV i noticed that the electric trailer brakes are wired in series starting on the front driver side axle and going to the rear driver side axle. I looked at the passenger side and see that there is no electrical connections to either axle. ???? Is this normal??? The wires coming out of the back of the drum are cut as if they were never wired to begin with. I confirmed with the original owner and he said he never messed with the brakes.

Anybody experience this before and if this is not normal, how should I wire the other side? My concern is that when i do apply brakes the trailer will want to pull to the side that has the brakes applied (driver side) and that will cause a safety issue. I can post pics if necessary.

Thanks,
Jaimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:59 AM   #2

Welcome to the forum. Sorry, but I really can't help with your brake question.

BUT, if your trailer has the original tires, they are over 5 years old and should be replaced.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:05 AM   #3

That seems concerning. Do you have a brake controller with a lever to test only the trailer brakes?
Jeremytbeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 10:08 AM   #4

Wiring usually goes thru the axle tube from side to side. Connects on driver side, goes thru tube to passenger side, should be a small grommet on each side by the backing plate.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
Welcome to the forum. Sorry, but I really can't help with your brake question.

BUT, if your trailer has the original tires, they are over 5 years old and should be replaced.
Yes, Tires are on the list. Look good but old.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:33 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Wiring usually goes thru the axle tube from side to side. Connects on driver side, goes thru tube to passenger side, should be a small grommet on each side by the backing plate.
Thats what i assumed but if you look at the backing plate, the wires coming out of it are terminated about three inches from the plate. Nothing connected to them.
Old 04-13-2019, 10:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremytbeau View Post
That seems concerning. Do you have a brake controller with a lever to test only the trailer brakes?
I do have a brake controller (Reese Brake-EVN) hooked up. That will be my next test is to see if i can get them to lock up. My suspicion is that only the driver side will lock up though.
Old 04-13-2019, 04:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
Thanks GRUMPY! After further inspection I did find the wires running through the axle tube to the other side. Emergency diverted!!

Tags
brakes