Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2016, 09:12 PM   #1

New Owner and New member of community

Hello all,

Brand new to the site and to Jayco, so glad I found both. Just purchased our first travel trailer, a 2015 Jay Flight 23MBH, and we our scheduled to pick it up at the dealer on Thursday. We are moving up from a 2001 Lance Truck Camper that we have had for a little over a year. Before that, we knew nothing about RV’s at all. Owning the Camper has helped us learn a lot. But I still consider us Newbies.

I went ahead and printed out the Delivery Checklist that is provided here and have it ready to go. I am not going to be able to take it out for the night after we pick it up. Our first time out might be a few weeks away. We will probably just go down the road from the house like we did with the Camper the first time. I am just wondering what other things I should look at BEFORE heading out since I will have it home for a few weeks before taking her out. I hope everything is as it should be since it is a new unit, but I am not betting on everything being exactly right. My guess is that it’s been sitting on the dealers lot for well over a year. What kind of problems could that create I wonder. I have read a few post saying to check all the plumbing lines for tightness, and thought that would probably be a good idea while it’s setting at the house.

Luckily we have a lot of the “Camping” stuff already bought that we used the Camper. I know I will have to buy a few things like chokes, etc. I know we get a few things from the dealer for free at pickup, but don’t know what for sure. I will probably eventually buy some Anderson levelers, but maybe not right away. What else would be essential for the first trip out?

I will be pulling the Trailer with a 2009 Chev 2500 4x4 Gasser. It already has Rancho adjustable shocks on it and airbags. The dealer is throwing in a WDH, but I don’t have any idea which brand. I know absolutely nothing about towing. I do remember feeling a little skiddish the first time we hauled the Camper. I know I have a tow mode on the truck. I also have some sort of thing that I think adjust the trailer brakes. I really hope the dealer explains all this at pickup. But any advise from the forum would be greatly appreciated.

I have sent a couple of PM to people already, and really appreciate the responses. I love the Jayco Community so far, and hope to contribute in the future.
podunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 09:30 PM   #2

I also thought I read somewhere about putting some lubricant on the antenna or something like that, is that correct?
Old 07-26-2016, 11:43 PM   #3

First, congratulations on your new trailer. Now the truth...you only think you have a lot of camping stuff. We just bought our 5th trailer, each one getting a little bigger, and we can't go by a RV store without stopping and finding something else we must have. If you suspect the trailer has been sitting on the lot for that amount of time be sure to check items that can be effected by sun exposure like the tires and all of your roof seals and vent covers.

2013 Ford F250 CC Lariat 6.7 Diesel 4x4
2016 Eagle 338RETS - Finally got it Right!
2011 Eagle 256RKS (Traded)
2010 Select 141J Popup (Traded)
Dondeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:02 AM   #4

Welcome to the forum!!
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:04 AM   #5

Do some research on weight distribution hitches and decide for yourself what you want. Dealers are notoriously unreliable, some would say. Verify with trusted sources anything the dealer tells you - about anything. If you're in Colorado there are many horse trailer dealership, I'd suggest checking with one or two with questions about trailering, including WD hitches, sway control, as well as trailer braking. Horse people are particular about their animals and those dealers often have techs who are actually experienced and knowledgeable.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:27 AM   #6

Welcome!

2017 FORD SD, 6.7.
2012 Jayco Whitehawk 28DSBH
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:42 PM   #7

Thanks everyone for the quick replies.

I don't know what to do about the WDH situation. I hate to ask for a certain one if he is just throwing one in for free. I really like the Equalizer from what I am reading here. I guess I will just wait and see tomorrow which one they give me.

I have done some searches and found a lot of great info. thank goodness I found this forum group, great bunch of people!
Old 07-27-2016, 12:58 PM   #8

If you want the Equal-I-Zer, insist on it. There are a lot of different hitches out there but I consider the Equalizer one of the best. Tell them that's the one you want, or no deal. They absolutely will not lose you for a couple hundred dollars more. But who knows...maybe THAT'S the one they are throwing in. Regardless of the hitch they give you, make sure it's what you'll need to pull safely down the road. 10K should be the one you need. They make a 6000lb., but that's too close. I'm guessing your trailer is about 5000-5500 lbs. with about a 600 lb. tongue weight.
Old 07-27-2016, 01:30 PM   #9

ok, I am going to show my stupidity here. I really don't have any idea on how the trailer brake system works with my 09 Chev. We didn't have any brake system help with the Truck Camper. Is that something the Dealer gives us also or something we buy before picking it up? I assumed the trailer plugs into the back of the truck and they just worked in tandem through that connection, am I wrong?
Old 07-27-2016, 01:45 PM   #10

I panicked and just called the dealership. I do feel like an idiot now. I have a tow package on my truck so I guess it's all ready integrated in my truck. Which is great.

I did find out that they are setting me up with a Husky Centerline WDH. From what I have read they are good also.

I am just a little freaked out being brand new to all this........sorry
Old 07-27-2016, 02:02 PM   #11

No worries. That's what this forum is for. Husky makes an excellent hitch...you're good there. Do you have a brake controller on your dash? The easy way to tell is to look for a slide switch or a switch near the driver with a + and a - symbol.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:06 PM   #12

Yes I have exactly that just below my dash on the left. Phew
Old 07-27-2016, 02:14 PM   #13

Good to go...you're set.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:07 PM   #14

Welcome

Welcome to the forum. There are a lot of nice, experience campers on here. They have helped me numerous times. Good luck and safe travels.

Reboot123
Reboot123 is offline   Reply With Quote