Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-30-2016, 03:23 AM   #1

New Owner-Dealership Awesome!

We just picked up our brand new 2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23 MBH yesterday from the Dealership nearest us. We are moving up from a Truck Camper and have only been RVing period for a year and a half. We absolutely knew nothing when we started. We bought our truck camper used, so this is our first new purchase and I was a lot nervous about it. This forum helped relieve some of my anxiety.

It seems like more often than not most people don't post or comment about Dealerships unless they are dissatisfied with them. I can tell you right now that I had an awesome experience and they went above and beyond as far as I am concerned. I had the PDI checklist from the forum with me, but they made it obsolete mostly. From getting the deal done to picking it up was all great.

Coachlight RV in Carthage, Missouri is were we bought our TT. Doug Lown, owner/salesman, is who we dealt with. He was pretty straight forward from the get go, which might put off some people, but not me. I don't like to haggle or dicker or whatever. Neither does he. He told us up front what his bottom dollar to sell it was and that was it. We looked at 2 different models and he gave us the price for each one. One was a 2017 and the other was a 2015, but both brand new. He was honest and said the 2015 had been there a while and for that reason gave us a lot better price than he originally would have sold it for. The only things we had to decide was trade in price for my TC. I thought he was very fair for a 2001 truck camper.

After making the deal, the financing was a pc of cake. I was worried slightly about the TT since it was on the lot for almost 2 years. He told me up front that the bought 4 and sold 3 very quickly, but for some reason nobody was interested in the last one. New models came in and it fell further behind. You could tell it had been sitting on the lot a while, it had some streaks from the dirt running down the sides. The inside still looked brand new, along with new smell. We fell in love with the floor plan initially and couldn't find one we like better after two months of looking. Great use of the space.

We set up the pick up day and off I went. When I got there they took me back to Scotty Smith and he was in charge of the walk through. They already had the TT inside, sparkling clean and waxed, AC running, and full of fresh water.Scotty said he had been checking it over since the day before. He said he had to rub the outside down by hand, since some of the streaks had been there a while, so his shoulders were a little sore. He had went through all the systems earlier and was going to go through the same check with me. He began by going inside and showing me all the systems inside and how everything worked. We opened every drawer/cabinet, checked all plumbing systems, etc. etc. etc. It was immaculate inside. I found a staple sticking out of the slide wall and that was it. We then went outside and did the same thing. While explaining to me how to manually operate the slide he saw a slight rusty area on the frame and was mad that he missed that earlier and said it would be fixed before I leave along with the staple inside. I was worried about dry rot on the tires since it was sitting for 2 years, but there was none and they were in great shape. There covered by the two year warranty anyway. We started at 10:00 and it was probably 12:00 when we got done. He said we could take all day if we wanted.

I decided I needed a quick lunch break and we decided to wait until I came back to put on the WDH and set it up on my truck. The Dealer threw in the WDH in the deal, even without me asking about it. He asked what I drove and said I could easily handle it, but wanted me to have one anyway. After we had settled on the price. During the outside walk around, I could see were they had already gotten the hitch set up and ready to go. I asked what type of WDH it was and he told me "Pro Line". I asked hime about it and he said it was a decent hitch, but not one of the best. But it was all I needed. So I went to lunch thinking about the hitch. I knew that they had Husky Centerline TS hitches also, but cost more. When I got back from lunch I asked Scotty to give me his opinion on the 2 hitches and he said the Husky was better. I told him to hold off for a second I wanted to talk with Doug about an upgrade. We went right in and I told Doug that I really would like the Husky. I figured he would say for $200 you could have it, but he just told Scotty to put on the Husky at no extra cost!

Scotty just smiled and went and got the Husky to put on. I was in shock at the extra work it caused. I even felt bad and kept apologizing, but Scotty kept saying it was no big deal. He had to take off some stuff from the old hitch and start over with the new Husky. It probably took and extra hour. We went though everything with the hitch and once it was on we hooked the truck up. I went back inside to sign paperwork with Doug and Scotty pulled it out and set up my brake controller with the trailer. I could see him driving buy as I talked with Doug. 30 minutes later, i was headed home.

AWESOME EXPERIENCE! I am so happy with how it all went and feel like they are going to take care of me for the long haul. I visited with Scotty as he worked and found out he had been there for 16 years and was one of the newest tech's they had. They have one thats been there 40 years! I saw all kinds of service awards in the lobby as I looked around also. I see why. Scotty told me he drives all over the country delivering RV's to people. I asked him why they don't buy more locally and he said they save so much money it's worth it. He just got back from Washington with one. He said they even bring them back to for service here.
Scotty even told me what I might need initially in their RV equipment sales shop. Even walking around with me and saying wait an buy it at Walmart cheaper on some things.

Coachlight RV, Carthage, Missouri- IMO Class Act!
podunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 05:18 AM   #2
bap

Fantastic, you are right that people should post more of their good experiences with dealers. While there is bad dealers out there, there are many dealers that will go the extra mile to make a happy costumer.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:29 AM   #3

Smile

Well i have to say that we as well had a great experience at Coachlight RV. Brad was the salesman we delt with and as well we were totally pleased with the great deal we received on the 2016 23MRB Whitehawk that we purchased on the 18th of July. And Scotty was awesome at his job.
Mikedebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:19 AM   #4

It's good to see a positive review on a dealer. Most of the time, only bad reviews get posted. The great dealers are out there, some where, just seem to be hard to find sometimes.

Charlie & Lizzie the Mini Dachshunds
2008 Jayco Eagle Super Lite 30.5 RLS
2015 F350 Lariet Crew Cab Long Bed 6.7 Diesel B&W Companion Hitch
24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence? I think not.
Witt74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:41 PM   #5

We bought our 1st TT this spring from Doug Lown and Coachlight RV in Carthage MO and we are so happy we did! I think your dealership is one if the most important things to consider when buying an RV. They were awesome!
Mmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:44 PM   #6
Site Team

While we do hear about many bad dealer experiences, our Dealer satisfaction poll suggests most members are satisfied with their dealer experience.

http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f1...oll-25639.html
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:11 AM   #7

Great to hear of a super positive experience at a RV dealer. Most reported dealer experiences are less that good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by podunker View Post
We just picked up our brand new 2015 Jayco Jay Flight 23 MBH yesterday from the Dealership nearest us. We are moving up from a Truck Camper and have only been RVing period for a year and a half. We absolutely knew nothing when we started. We bought our truck camper used, so this is our first new purchase and I was a lot nervous about it. This forum helped relieve some of my anxiety.

It seems like more often than not most people don't post or comment about Dealerships unless they are dissatisfied with them. I can tell you right now that I had an awesome experience and they went above and beyond as far as I am concerned. I had the PDI checklist from the forum with me, but they made it obsolete mostly. From getting the deal done to picking it up was all great.

Coachlight RV in Carthage, Missouri is were we bought our TT. Doug Lown, owner/salesman, is who we dealt with. He was pretty straight forward from the get go, which might put off some people, but not me. I don't like to haggle or dicker or whatever. Neither does he. He told us up front what his bottom dollar to sell it was and that was it. We looked at 2 different models and he gave us the price for each one. One was a 2017 and the other was a 2015, but both brand new. He was honest and said the 2015 had been there a while and for that reason gave us a lot better price than he originally would have sold it for. The only things we had to decide was trade in price for my TC. I thought he was very fair for a 2001 truck camper.

After making the deal, the financing was a pc of cake. I was worried slightly about the TT since it was on the lot for almost 2 years. He told me up front that the bought 4 and sold 3 very quickly, but for some reason nobody was interested in the last one. New models came in and it fell further behind. You could tell it had been sitting on the lot a while, it had some streaks from the dirt running down the sides. The inside still looked brand new, along with new smell. We fell in love with the floor plan initially and couldn't find one we like better after two months of looking. Great use of the space.

We set up the pick up day and off I went. When I got there they took me back to Scotty Smith and he was in charge of the walk through. They already had the TT inside, sparkling clean and waxed, AC running, and full of fresh water.Scotty said he had been checking it over since the day before. He said he had to rub the outside down by hand, since some of the streaks had been there a while, so his shoulders were a little sore. He had went through all the systems earlier and was going to go through the same check with me. He began by going inside and showing me all the systems inside and how everything worked. We opened every drawer/cabinet, checked all plumbing systems, etc. etc. etc. It was immaculate inside. I found a staple sticking out of the slide wall and that was it. We then went outside and did the same thing. While explaining to me how to manually operate the slide he saw a slight rusty area on the frame and was mad that he missed that earlier and said it would be fixed before I leave along with the staple inside. I was worried about dry rot on the tires since it was sitting for 2 years, but there was none and they were in great shape. There covered by the two year warranty anyway. We started at 10:00 and it was probably 12:00 when we got done. He said we could take all day if we wanted.

I decided I needed a quick lunch break and we decided to wait until I came back to put on the WDH and set it up on my truck. The Dealer threw in the WDH in the deal, even without me asking about it. He asked what I drove and said I could easily handle it, but wanted me to have one anyway. After we had settled on the price. During the outside walk around, I could see were they had already gotten the hitch set up and ready to go. I asked what type of WDH it was and he told me "Pro Line". I asked hime about it and he said it was a decent hitch, but not one of the best. But it was all I needed. So I went to lunch thinking about the hitch. I knew that they had Husky Centerline TS hitches also, but cost more. When I got back from lunch I asked Scotty to give me his opinion on the 2 hitches and he said the Husky was better. I told him to hold off for a second I wanted to talk with Doug about an upgrade. We went right in and I told Doug that I really would like the Husky. I figured he would say for $200 you could have it, but he just told Scotty to put on the Husky at no extra cost!

Scotty just smiled and went and got the Husky to put on. I was in shock at the extra work it caused. I even felt bad and kept apologizing, but Scotty kept saying it was no big deal. He had to take off some stuff from the old hitch and start over with the new Husky. It probably took and extra hour. We went though everything with the hitch and once it was on we hooked the truck up. I went back inside to sign paperwork with Doug and Scotty pulled it out and set up my brake controller with the trailer. I could see him driving buy as I talked with Doug. 30 minutes later, i was headed home.

AWESOME EXPERIENCE! I am so happy with how it all went and feel like they are going to take care of me for the long haul. I visited with Scotty as he worked and found out he had been there for 16 years and was one of the newest tech's they had. They have one thats been there 40 years! I saw all kinds of service awards in the lobby as I looked around also. I see why. Scotty told me he drives all over the country delivering RV's to people. I asked him why they don't buy more locally and he said they save so much money it's worth it. He just got back from Washington with one. He said they even bring them back to for service here.
Scotty even told me what I might need initially in their RV equipment sales shop. Even walking around with me and saying wait an buy it at Walmart cheaper on some things.

Coachlight RV, Carthage, Missouri- IMO Class Act!
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote