Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2016, 02:28 PM   #1

New Owner Roof Repairs

I just picked up my '06 29BHS on Friday. Didn't have a chance to look at the roof before I bought it as it was in a storage yard. There were no signs though inside of any leaks. I finally climbed up on the roof on Sunday and was pleasantly surprised how good it looks considering we are in the desert. I did notice three minor issues though and considering my last trailer had an aluminum roof I wanted to be sure I am approaching this correctly.

1 - The front edge where the trim is between the aluminum and the rubber roof it appears the dicor is starting to crack a bit. I was just planning on putting new dicor on this. Should I remove any of the old stuff or just put another layer on?

2 - It appears a tree might of skipped along the drivers side edge up front. Doesn't look like it penetrated all the way through, just left little cuts in the rubber. I was just planning on covering this with a strip of Eternabond which is already on order.

3 - The skylight over the shower is cracked like it was hit with something. From what I understand I should just carefully remove it. Clean the roof of old sealant best I can without damaging it, and install a new skylight with a bead of dicor (or sealant recommended by the skylight manufacturer) and then another layer on top also covering the screws. My only concern here is if I should use any chemical cleaners, I've already read that mineral spirits can damage the roof.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can give.
Old 03-01-2016, 02:36 PM   #2
Site Team

Your plan sounds good to me, I have just put new Dicor over the old on roof seams and around vents. Eternabond would be a good choice for the tears. Member SmokerBill just replaced his skylight on a 26BH, you may try and send him a PM and ask for tips.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote