Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-30-2021, 11:52 AM   #1

New RV Maintenance Checklist

So for anyone considering a new RV, I thought I'd share my experience and a TOP 10 List of what I do to each of my units personally. I DO NOT count on the RV brochure that assured me they built it with Quality. Quality is relative and I can tell you my idea of quality and the RV industry's idea of quality are not the same. I've owned over 8 units, most of them new. Every new unit here is what I have done to it day one when it arrives:

1. Seal the entire roof - vents, seams, etc. Usually Dicor self leveling on top items, Dicor non sag on roof seam where roof meets side wall. ProFlex around everything else - doors, storage doors, coax outlets, outdoor shower, awning bolts/brackets, storage door latches, corner trim pieces, lights, etc. DO NOT ASSUME because it looks nice that it was done right at the factory
2. Apply additional weatherstripping on hinge side of entry door. Odds are you have a crushed weatherseal the way the factory installs the entry doors. Remember, RV engineers aren't real engineers. The seal should press against the door frame to, well...seal! When they put the door hinges on the entry door they crush this seal flat. Metal to metal will not keep water out!!
3. Inspect that all areas of heater ductwork aren't rubbing up against sharp wood edges, etc. I usually apply good ducttape to the sharp edges so as not to rub a hole in my ductwork bouncing up and down the road
4. Inspect all areas where LP lines come up through the floor to make sure they are run through a conduit collar so they don't rub against the wood floor and rub a hole in the LP line - also check under unit to make sure LP lines aren't rubbing against metal or some other sharp edge
5. Check EVERY LP connection with soapy water or a LP Sniffer - I use both. Tighten as necessary and yes, it is usually necessary
6. Inspect inside unit and around windows after every rain. Catch any leak quickly. If you've done #1 and #2 correctly you should not have any issues
7. Where possible, check all coax connections. They are usually loose
8. Inspect inside AC unit to make sure ductwork is connected to air supply properly - also check divider if you have one and make sure your air supply and air return aren't mixing!! While you're here, check draw down bolts are snug
9. Condition slide seals
10. Sanitize water system with bleach and pressure system up. Check thoroughly for water leaks!

Hope this helps anyone that may be new or in the market for new.
Roosevelt008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 01:39 PM   #2

Now if this was done to every unit while on the production line...

2018 Jayco White Hawk 31BH 34'
2004 Surveyor by Forest River 29'
1996 Coachman Catalina 25'
2002 Jayco 12UTD PopUp
TrashMan Videos
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 01:55 PM   #3

IF this was done on every production line the owner's forums would be a very quiet and peaceful place....
Old 06-30-2021, 03:52 PM   #4

Never thought about #2
Old 06-30-2021, 08:17 PM   #5

I discovered #2 when wind driven rain made its way inside. I removed the screen door and saw all sorts of light coming in around the hinges thru huge gaps. Some 5/16" RV/Marine weatherstripping from Lowes completely fixed the problem. I just applied it right next to the existing seal. This list are things I've learned over the years that help prolong the life and reliability of today's quickly produced units. Frankly it also helps me sleep at night knowing things are done and done right!!!