Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-07-2021, 07:06 AM   #1

new RV says Inverter prewire

Im just curious if anyone has dug deeper into the inverter prewire on some of the new Jayco Travel trailers. we purchased a jay feather 24bh over the winter which has solar installed, on my dealer sheet it says inverter prewire. im just wondering how difficult it would be to install an inverter on this rig. I don't see anything on the panel stating inverter wiring or anything. any help here would be great. thanks
brewcrew22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 07:13 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewcrew22 View Post
Im just curious if anyone has dug deeper into the inverter prewire on some of the new Jayco Travel trailers. we purchased a jay feather 24bh over the winter which has solar installed, on my dealer sheet it says inverter prewire. im just wondering how difficult it would be to install an inverter on this rig. I don't see anything on the panel stating inverter wiring or anything. any help here would be great. thanks
Your best bet would be to contact JAYCO telling them you want to install one and ask for the info.

https://www.jayco.com/site/contact/service/
Old 03-08-2021, 07:50 AM   #3
Lost in the Woods

I have the same question. Looking to install a 2000 or 3000. If you find any information please post it.
Bassmastergeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 03:49 PM   #4

Our 2021 Jay Feather 25RB has the inverter pre-wire in the pass thru (my photo below). I emailed Jayco today and got this reply from Greg Baumgartner, Senior Electrical Engineer, Jayco Towables Division. His contact information follows his reply for any questions/comments anyone has.

My take away is that in order for my pre-wire to work I have to have an inverter that has an internal transfer switch and then connect it per Greg's comments below.

Greg's reply:

[QUOTE]The loop of 120-volt Romex wire shown in your photo originates at the 15-amp 120-volt “utility” circuit breaker in your trailers load center and extends to the following 120-volt receptacles in your trailer”
1. Head of bed left side 120-volt recept (if trailer so equipped)
2. Head of bed right side 120-volt recept (if trailer so equipped)
3. Bedroom TV 120-volt recept (if trailer so equipped)
4. Main TV 120-volt recept (if trailer so equipped)
5. Refrigerator 120-volt recept (if trailer so equipped)

The many “if so equipped” statements reflect the fact not all RV floorplans and option packages have all 5 of the above listed 120-volt receptacles.

When installing an inverter with internal 120-volt transfer switch the labeled Romex wire is cut (after the trailer is disconnected from 120-volt power) near the Jayco labeled location. The portion of the cut Romex wire that comes from the 15-amp circuit breaker in the 120-volt load center connects to the 120-volt INPUT of your inverter. The portion of the cut Romex wire that goes to the above listed 120-volt recepts connects to the 120-volt OUTPUT of your inverter.

Jayco does not provide the 12-volt battery cables and circuit protection required to connect your inverter to the trailers battery. Refer to your inverters owner’s manual for battery cable and circuit protection (fusing) requirements.

Note: Extreme caution is required when connecting the 120-volt wires and battery cables to your inverter. If any of the wires are hooked up incorrectly... or even if your battery cables are momentarily connected backwards at the battery - your inverter will immediately become non-warrantable scrap.[END QUOTE]

Thanks,
Greg

Greg Baumgartner
Senior Electrical Engineer
Jayco Towable Divisions
Phone: 574-825-5861
Cell: 574-377-9987
Email: Greg_Baumgartner@Jayco.com
903 S. Main St., Middlebury, IN 46540
Attached Thumbnails
Inverter Pre-Wire.jpg  
Camp4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:35 AM   #5
Lost in the Woods

Let me guess, they didn’t label the wire to what side goes where. So it’s a cut and trace.
Bassmastergeneral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2021, 11:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmastergeneral View Post
Let me guess, they didn’t label the wire to what side goes where. So it’s a cut and trace.
One side has black tape so it is tagged..Probably the same at the breaker panel.
Old 03-09-2021, 12:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmastergeneral View Post
My inverter pre-wire is labeled.
Camp4two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:46 AM   #8

I have been waiting for Jayco's reply on the same question. I was wondering how they were going to have the inverter run the A/C unit using the 12 or 14 gauge wire. However it does look like they are requiring an inverter with a transfer switch built in which are very spendy. I am going to go with just a basic 2000w inverter and make a 30amp pigtail for the hardwired output on the inverter and plug my shore power cord into it when I am dry camping. The 2000w inverter likely won't run the A/C but we never use it anyway. This way the outdoor kitchen fridge will get power too.
jrobb911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 06:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrobb911 View Post
I have been waiting for Jayco's reply on the same question. I was wondering how they were going to have the inverter run the A/C unit using the 12 or 14 gauge wire. However it does look like they are requiring an inverter with a transfer switch built in which are very spendy. I am going to go with just a basic 2000w inverter and make a 30amp pigtail for the hardwired output on the inverter and plug my shore power cord into it when I am dry camping. The 2000w inverter likely won't run the A/C but we never use it anyway. This way the outdoor kitchen fridge will get power too.
Most inverter installations or pre-wires I have seen do not include the AC unit because there would be way too much draw on the batteries. Why not ask Jayco for the electrical diagrams to be sure which outlets are pre-wired.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2022, 05:18 PM   #10

Inverter prewire

For others that visit this thread, looking for what invertor would work with that 'pre-wire' option; I have found the following inverter that has all the requirements and features in an All in One device that Jayco is requiring, kindly posted by Camp4two earlier.

https://www.aimscorp.net/2000-pure-s...standards.html

not to costly in my opinion and worth it based on the return. fairly easy to install as well.

best of luck!
ReverendBacon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, solar