Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #1

New Setup. Advice Appreciated!

Hey guys, almost a first time TT owner here (have a 31% off MRSP quote and expect to purchase shortly). Could everyone take a look at my potential setup and let me know if you have any concerns or recommendations. I also have a list of questions at the end. If you could provide feedback, that would be awesome!

TV:
2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7 Crew Max Limited
Tires - LT285/55R20 Toyo Open Country ATII

TV Specs:
Payload Capacity = 1310
Towing Capacity = 10100
GVWR = 7200
GAWR = 4000 (F), 4150 (R)
GCWR = 16000

TT:
2015 Jayco Jayflight 26BHS Fully Loaded (w/ 15k ac) *To be purchased (soon)

TT Specs:
Unloaded Vehicle Weight = 5,470 *assuming ~6,000 with options
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs) = 675 *assuming ~875 w/ TT options, 750lbs cargo and 13% for hitch distrubtion
Gross Vehicle Weight Rating = 7,750

Misc:
Honda EU2000i x2 w/ fuel extender tank
Equal-i-zer WDH - 90-00-1000 (for realistic weights) or 90-00-1200 (for max weights)?
Brake Controller - Tekonsha P3 or Prodigy P2
Roadmaster Active Suspsension Kit – Needed?

Questions:
1. Is it safe to tow the trailer for ~50 miles on the highway before putting on the WDH
2. Which Equal-i-zer WDH to get? Any recommended alternatives?
3. Which brake controller? Recommendations on alternatives?
4. Should I get the Roadmaster kit? Any recommeneded alternative?
5. I’ll be right at or slightly above payload and GVWR for TV. Any concerns here?
tahoe84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 10:46 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

looks all good to me.

I would definitely stay with an Equal-i-zer and the 1000 lb bars should be good.

I have the P3 and think it is one of the best and only slightly more cost than the P2, plus it looks way better

You should be fine towing it home without a wdh but on would be better.

I wouldn't be worried about your payload

Good luck
nbhybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:07 AM   #3

I have a Prodigy P2 & P3. Both are great controllers and work well.

I wouldn't tow that camper 50 miles without the WDH. I think I would take the time and the tools and set it up at the dealership.
jwstewar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 11:45 AM   #4

Personally, I would not tow it without a WDH. But what does your owner's manual recommend for that weight trailer and tongue?
gijoecam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:09 PM   #5

My 26BHS has a yellow sticker weight of just over 6400 lbs. if that helps you any.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:12 PM   #6

I think you'll be happy with either the P2 or P3 controller. I went with the P2 vs. P3 only because that's what the dealer had in stock.

You won't go wrong with either the Equal-i-zer or Reese Dual-Cam WDH. Again, I went Reese because that's what the dealer sold.

Based on my own experience with a Tundra, I wouldn't tow without a WDH - I was against the bump stops when I hitched up to move about 6'. Granted I have a heavier trailer, but I also have almost 300 lbs more payload capacity.

The Roadmaster isn't necessary, but I did install it and it made a world of difference - DW especially is more comfortable, and we all know how important that is
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:12 PM   #7
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDavid View Post
My 26BHS has a yellow sticker weight of just over 6400 lbs. if that helps you any.
1000 lbs over dry weight?

never seen that big of a spread before. Does your have the fibreglass option?
Old 10-15-2014, 12:13 PM   #8

You should be good!

#1)As far as towing a short distance without WD, it depends on how much weight is taken off your front wheels. Any lift on the front will reduce your steering control. If it's not too much you should be OK but keep your speeds low. If nothing else it will be a lesson in why a W/D hitch is so important for most setups. why not have the dealer set it up for you? Part of my deal was free labor on swapping my W/D hitch from my old trailer to my new one and adjusting for the truck I had then.

#3) I have the P2 but I bought it long before the P3 came out. It's almost 10 years old now and works perfectly. If I bought a new one today it would be a P3.

#5) The only concern there is how much stress you are putting on the rear axle. If you are right at the limit on this and everything else is still well within specs, I wouldn't worry about it.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:20 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post

I wondered about that too, then I looked at the complete list of options. It includes things like a porcelain toilet. Given that type of thing I can see how you'd reach this kind of weight in a hurry.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:25 PM   #10

Tahoe,
I say this a lot, so why stop now? I'd also suggest a visit to your nearest CAT Scale. The yellow sticker tells you the Rear GAWR is 4150# but you don't know what the weight on the rear axle currently is. Subtract the weights when you are loaded up like you would travel (fuel, people, luggage...) from the Rear GAWR and you will know how much more weight (cargo) you can add to the rear axle. I was surprised to learn with our first TT that although we were well below the max tow rating for the Expedition I was within 200# of maxing the rear axle. The CAT Scale is your friend.
I towed from the storage lot to the house (2 mi) without setting the WD bars (cause I was lazy) and the draw bar scraped a couple of times before I got home, did that only once. The dealer installed and adjusted the WDH as part of our pickup process.

2013 F-350 CC SB 2WD 6.7PS
2013 Eagle Premier 351 RLTS
-SOLD- 2012 X23B
-SOLD- 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4, Bilstein shocks
RedHorse1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 12:28 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbhybrid View Post

Yes it has the fiberglass sidewalls and elite package.....I was surprised also.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #12
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDavid View Post
Yes it has the fiberglass sidewalls and elite package.....I was surprised also.
I figured it had to. Just wanted to clarify that point to the OP as they may not have those options.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:18 PM   #13

New Setup

You might want to do a poll on Tundras as TV's versus GM, Ford and Dodge. I don't recall seeing a lot of Tundra's as TV's. I have also heard that the Tundra tanny's aren't repairable. I know a couple of people that have gotten rid of the Tundras on account of that info. I will qualify my statement by saying I haven't verified that info. Hope this doesn't upset anyone.
mohok1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 01:24 PM   #14
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohok1 View Post
You might want to do a poll on Tundras as TV's versus GM, Ford and Dodge. I don't recall seeing a lot of Tundra's as TV's. I have also heard that the Tundra tanny's aren't repairable. I know a couple of people that have gotten rid of the Tundras on account of that info. I will qualify my statement by saying I haven't verified that info. Hope this doesn't upset anyone.
the Tundra is a very capable TV. You don't see a lot simply because they don't sell as many as the other three. Not because they are not as good.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:37 PM   #15

Have to agree with nbhybrid, but of course I'm biased

mohok1, the transmission is repairable, just not owner serviceable. I don't like that I have to rely on an "idiot" light to warn me of potential issues, but something I have to live with. I didn't realize this when I bought the truck, but it wouldn't have changed my mind either.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:38 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohok1 View Post
A poll already exists: http://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5344

I find that hard to believe that a Tundra's trans can't be worked on. It's a machine. All machines are repairable. It might not be that they are unrepairable, but that many shops shy away from them for some reason, or simply don't have the in house knowledge of them. 6 speeds in trucks are a relatively new thing.

I think one of the reason many people don't consider them as tow vehicles is their low payload capacity. Other than that they are great trucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelly View Post
mohok1, the transmission is repairable, just not owner serviceable.
OK, I'm curious to understand what that means? A sealed system where you can't change the fluid yourself, at least not easily? Of is there some taboo about performing your work under warranty?
Old 10-15-2014, 01:41 PM   #17

Which dealer are you using? How hard was it to negotiate the price with them? I will be in the market soon too. Thanks.

Dave
ddrueckh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:05 PM   #18

You would normally be fine towing a TT without a weight distribution hitch if it wasn't too far and you didn't travel too fast. However, I think your tongue weight may exceed the truck maximum hitch weight without a WDH. You may want to look at the number as well. I think mine is only about 600 lbs on my F350 without a WDH.

You should have a sticker right on the truck hitch.
UPCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2014, 02:53 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post

I think one of the reason many people don't consider them as tow vehicles is their low payload capacity. Other than that they are great trucks.

OK, I'm curious to understand what that means? A sealed system where you can't change the fluid yourself, at least not easily? Of is there some taboo about performing your work under warranty?
We're getting away from the OPs original question, but to answer the questions posed about the Tundra specifically:

The payload capacity of the Tundra, as with all trucks, is going to depend on the configuration. My double cab 4x2 is at 1595 lbs, so well over the 1/2 ton label it carries.

As far as the transmission goes, it's a sealed system that's not easily worked on. There is no dipstick to check fluid level and/or quality, though there may be a sight glass on the transmission itself - I haven't crawled under there to look.

I should also clarify that this is for the 2014 model year. I don't believe the power train has changed much over the last few years, but not positive.
Old 10-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkelly View Post
As far as the transmission goes, it's a sealed system that's not easily worked on. There is no dipstick to check fluid level and/or quality, though there may be a sight glass on the transmission itself - I haven't crawled under there to look.
I appreciate the clarification. More and more cars and trucks are coming with sealed systems. My HRR's trans is sealed as was my old Cadillac Catera. Where there is a will, there is a way. Although some of the DIY methods aren't real easy either!