Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 12-15-2016, 06:14 AM   #1

New Shoes

I just installed (well I didn't, Discount Tire did) new tires, Maxxis M8008 ST, on my Jay Feather 24T with metal stems. Just in time for trip south next week.

wan-der-lust's YouTube Channel and Instagram

wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:07 AM   #2

Nice, what ply rating did you go with? I just replaced my d-rated tires with e-rated tires. Wanted that extra weight cushion.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCNASHVILLE View Post
Nice, what ply rating did you go with? I just replaced my d-rated tires with e-rated tires. Wanted that extra weight cushion.
14" wheel max out at C

Old 12-15-2016, 10:45 AM   #4
Lost in the Woods

Those valves sure are purdy. So shiny. Me likey.
Gman1372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2016, 10:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman1372 View Post
Me likey.
Me likey too, I just had to take a pic and post

Old 12-15-2016, 10:48 AM   #6

I hope Santa brings me a new TPMS for my shiny new stems.

Old 12-16-2016, 08:22 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust View Post
I hope Santa brings me a new TPMS for my shiny new stems.
I am right with you on stressing the need to keep up with and replace old tires on a 2-3 year cycle or as soon as they show any sign of problem. Having just experienced a blowout on I65 coming back from the Gulf. Got lucky with no damage to the side or underside, just tore off the plastic fender skirt.

An tire management system may advise you of a pressure loss in a tire, but at highway speed [as I experienced] the event is instant and catestropic. You did the right thing by replacing tires when you thought it was time, but I am still not in the tiremanagement system camp. Check your tires each time before you hit the road and at every rest stop.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 08:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
I am still not in the tiremanagement system camp. Check your tires each time before you hit the road and at every rest stop.
You have me thinking the same thing. I've got a digital gauge that is easy and accurate. I've been keeping it stored with my air compressor, so I think I'll put it in the door of my TV for easier access - then I'll check more often.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:35 AM   #9

I've been considering a TPMS for the trailer for quite a while now. The guys on here that have them, love them. I can certainly see all the benefits they provide but I'm in the same camp as Bassdogs. I experienced a blowout with our previous trailer coming home from Florida. The only warning I had was I started to feel a little vibration in my steering wheel, 5 seconds later, BAM. Visually checking tires for bulges etc. along with checking air pressure at every stop is basically all you can do. Underinflation and overloading are ST tires biggest enemies with both making the tires run with higher temps which will kill them quickly. The Marathons on my Eagle would've been 6 years old by the time next spring came around and although they showed no signs of any problem I felt it was time to replace 'em.
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 11:12 AM   #10

I did the same to my 28BHBE - wasn't at all confident in the stock Raniers that she came with. Upgraded to the Maxxis load Range E from D. Very happy I did - I see it as Money well spent...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 12:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
An tire management system may advise you of a pressure loss in a tire, but at highway speed [as I experienced] the event is instant and catestropic. You did the right thing by replacing tires when you thought it was time, but I am still not in the tiremanagement system camp. Check your tires each time before you hit the road and at every rest stop.
I agree that the pressure loss would be immediate on blow out, but most of these systems monitor tire temperature as well, so if the blow out is caused by a tire condition that heats things up, you might notice before it blows. Some flats or blow outs have a smaller pressure drop before they actually go as well. A nail through the tread might cause a slow leak that allows the tire to depressurize enough that it rolls off the rim on tighter curve.

As @TCNASHVILLE relates, he felt a vibration coming before the blowout. With a display on the dash, it might have been more like, "felt a vibration, looked at the display, one tire hot, pulled over and changed it before it exploded".

Just saying I wouldn't discount a technology just because it can't catch all instances of failure.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 01:00 PM   #12
Site Team

Looks good. No more valve stem worries.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 04:57 PM   #13

A TPMS doesn't do anything for you in the event of a blowout; the explosive sound will alert you before the TPMS beeps to warn you of the loss of air pressure.

However, a TPMS will alert you in the event of a leak (like from a 1/4-20 1" bolt through your tread- like happened to me) and give you time to get stopped before enough air leaks out to ruin your tire. Plus, if (say) your regular pressure is 80 PSI and you set the alert pressure to 70 PSI you will likely have time to select a safe, wide pull off space away from road traffic.
There's lots of advice and information in forums... sometimes it is correct. For example, all of my posts are made by a political appointee who got the job as a reward for contributions to my diesel bill.

2011 Jayco 28.5RLS; 2021 Chevy Duramax; Pullrite Superglide Hitch

RVhiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 05:56 AM   #14

Last summer as I prepared for an Adirondack trip, I checked all pressures and topped off what needed to be. I have a 2016 Jayflight 32bhds with a loaded weight of just over 9200#. We left first thing in the am and it was still dark. I stopped about 35 miles away to top of gas and noticed I had a left rear flat on the tt. I replaced it with the spare and found that when I topped off the original tire the night before, the valve stem stuck open ever so slighly causing the flat. My question is, do you think I compromised the left front tire by carrying all the weight for that 35 miles?
djs1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 12:14 PM   #15

I had Maxxis on my last TT, and just after I sold it the new owners had a blown tire. That wouldn't have kept me from buying Maxxis again, because they said it was caused by a road hazard. My new rig is heavier, and at about 2700 miles into a 3000+ mile trip, we blew a tire on very crappy roads in Little Rock. We ruined a wheel too. Looking to go from LRC to LRD I couldn't get that with the Maxxis in 14" but Carlisle has started making them, with a higher speed rating to boot. Discount Tire had them for $102- each, but TireBuyer.com had them for $67.99. I was surprised but Discount Tire matched this price and I got 5 of them mounted, balanced, road hazard, and metal stems for $501- out the door... further cementing me as a DT customer. I bought truck tires somewhere else on special... but the service was so bad it was going to take 5 trips to get done what 1 trip should have taken care of... and they damaged one of my aluminum wheels... so I took the tires back and got a refund after about 4 days... and after getting them changed out at Discount Tire..... and no I don't work for them and never have... and have no financial ties there, either. Sorry NTB... never again...
Old 03-02-2017, 08:44 AM   #16

I brought our Jay Feather home last weekend for a little R&M to get it ready for our upcoming trip to Amelia Island, FL. I was very surprised to find the tire pressure was exactly the same when the new tires were installed 3 months ago.