Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-21-2019, 07:03 AM   #1

New to Me

Just put deposit on our first camper, 2018 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS. Cant wait to go on our first adventure. Any recommendations for the inspection, I do have a checklist, anything I should be aware from other owners of this unit?
missey365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:10 AM   #2

Just make sure everything works before you pull it away.

Have the seller connect the city water and check for any leaks.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 08:22 AM   #3

Welcome from Wisconsin. Make sure everything works before you sign anything else or hand over the final check.
wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:14 AM   #4

Jump on the bed see if it falls apart.
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:26 AM   #5

If from a dealership have them introduce you to the service manager, you could even ask for a tour.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 09:54 AM   #6

make sure they give you the glass plate for the microwave. they had to mail mine to me.
ggilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:17 PM   #7
Site Team

When you go for the PDI, take a lot of notes on how things function/start/stop/fill/dump...you get the idea. You can even take a video with your phone, to reference to later.

Look it over EVERYWHERE...inside and outside...twice. There may be something you didn't notice on the first look through, or it may spawn some questions as you look.

Take your time. Don't let them rush you through it. If there's the slightest question on something, ask until it's clear to you. If questions arise when you're at the campground for the first time, your notes/video will help. Otherwise...there's us here! Congratulations!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:34 PM   #8

Anything you find on your pdi that they say they will fix GET IT IN WRITTING! Also look in all cabinets up in the back where the wall meets the ceiling. Look very closely for any signs of water intrusion / damage. On a camper there is no such thing as cosmetic damage when it comes to water. If you see a stain or delamination run run as fast as you can
gpd2111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 05:45 PM   #9

Borrow a ladder and look at the roof for rips, tears, repairs.
Look at battery for date and condition. If it is new you want a 27 minimum and make sure it is not a starting or multipurpose battery
Look at drawers, windows and door, look to make sure or open and close. Make sure door locks actually work and you get keys.
Power up propane heater, water heater, fridge and make sure you watch how they do it. Have them show how drain valves and water heater bypass valves work and where they are.

DON'T let them hurry you. Do it in the morning, then go to lunch without paying or signing. Come back with a fresh eye alone for a second look.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:19 PM   #10

Check to see when the wheel bearings have last been repacked and the brakes adjusted. Make sure the valences work as does the awning and check the awning for tears or holes. Check for sewer hoses etc, screws coming up in the floor or staples not holding the trim. The big thing is any traces of water leaks from the roof or fixtures. It should be a great unit and serve you well for many years but check and recheck every thing as others pointed out.
Chet & Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2019, 08:25 AM   #11

When the dealer received your RV they had to prep it, right? That prep cost, that you paid for. The dealer also has to report their finding/repairs to Jayco.

Lots of dealers will tell you your not allowed to have a copy of it. Demand it, you paid for it. And yes ensure you put pen to paper from your inspection. I do not plan to take ownership on the day the dealer has it ready. Not planning to take ownership will pressure the dealer to fix/install items from your post deliver inspection. Plan on taking ownership a week after your inspection. You'll feel better about it. Not that you won't find more items that need to be inspected/repaired. That's a given, its just you'll have a better start. We all have those little things that require attention after that first driveway campout.

Oh by the way, the screen door handle is the best modification ever....

Attached Images

E-9 Anchor Clanker
Full timers since 2010
2017 North Point 381 DLQS
2015 F-250 6.7 w/Timbrens
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 08:05 AM   #12

So we bought the 24RBS and due to our current conditions (covid) only was able to travel to FL for a month and returned quickly. Only 1 trip. Jeeze. So far the bathroom counter edges split and the bedroom electric /usb plug stopped working. Decided it’s a great TT for us. Learned a lot in the month. Ty all for ur information. Looking forward to getting back in the road.
missey365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 09:18 AM   #13

X2 on taking the video's. I had my son shoot the video of the tech explaining everything to me. I needed it when I had to install my weight distribution hitch as I could not remember how many chain links were needed. My DW loved the "kitchen tour." Finally, had I not had the video I would never have been able to figure out why my TV didn't work (had to connect a cable).
2019 Chevy express 2500 Van Coversion. 2017 Jayco 23MRB: 26' total and Glacier Package. 2 Renogy solar panels. Married 49 years. Haley the mutt, 4 years old. "Excited to learn new things everyday and humbled by those who offer to help." And very grateful to our Moderators!
travelingjw is offline   Reply With Quote