Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-26-2016, 09:20 AM   #1

new to rv life

I am new to the rv life. I have some questions about my 2015 x213.
1. I find the rubber gasket around the rear bed slide doesn't remove all the water on the slide so I get water that drips down onto the couch below when I close it.
2. Storage, the bed slide motor is in a huge open space, also the bottom bunk has a large box I would like to use those as storage any ideas?
3. I've been reading about the (VORTEX FAN 2) for the bathroom has anyone installed one?
4.has anyone installed a 12v inverter, if so how and where?
5. I find the water pump to be very loud anyone have a solution?
6. I want to install an on-demand hot water anyone done this?
bcosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 09:43 AM   #2

I'll comment on 1 and 6
The rubber gasket is meant to keep the weather out, not to squeegee the roof off.
What you experience is what happens when you pull the slide in in the rain. Maybe put a slide topper on if it is troublesome.

6... A lot of people are pulling on demand water heaters out of their Class C's (they come stock) and replacing them with standard water heaters. You can find the thread in the class c section.
They don't work well unless the water pressure is high and consistent.
Neither you will get with your water pump.
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:07 AM   #3

Considerations for #4 and #5.

Some people have installed inverters, usually somewhere close to the appliance they are trying to power. Keep in mind though, if you are using an inverter to power a micro wave, (even a Television); during operation, they suck a LOT of battery power.

With a little work, you can add a rubber/foam platform underneath the water pump. This quiets it down immensely.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:40 AM   #4

Thanks for your input. The pressure does sound like a potential problem. I think I should keep a squeegee on and and clean off the excess water b4 I close up.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:44 AM   #5

I want to intall an inverter to keep my fridge going when I'm traveling mainly.

Why do some people run 6v batteries?
2 6v in series gives you 12v. But the amperage doesn't increase in a series circuit. I am running 2 12v deep cycle on mine.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:51 AM   #6

You don't need an inverter to run the fridge when traveling.

RV fridges usually run on propane and a small amount of 12vdc.

If you did run the fridge on an inverter, it would have to be a big inverter and would kill your battery pretty quickly

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
2015 Dodge 3500HD SRW 6.7L
Click on my profile for Mods and notes
Jmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 11:54 AM   #7

My fridge only runs on 115v or propane and in Canada it's illegal to have any propane device operating when traveling
Old 03-26-2016, 11:54 AM   #8

6 volt batteries are true deep cycle batteries and will withstand deeper discharge and recharge cycles over time.

They are also usually higher in amp hours individually

Lots written on JOF on the differences and preferences.

I'm a 12v battery system guy

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
Old 03-26-2016, 11:55 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcosco View Post
My fridge only runs on 115v or propane and in Canada it's illegal to have any propane device operating when traveling
I didn't know that about Canada.... You learn something new every day.

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
Old 03-26-2016, 12:06 PM   #10

I would to have a window in the bathroom installed, I wonder if that's possible?
Old 03-26-2016, 12:07 PM   #11

I would like to have a window installed in the bathroom
Old 03-26-2016, 12:15 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcosco View Post
Canada it's illegal to have any propane device operating when traveling
Everybody I've talked to, DOT's included, say the only time you'd have a problem running propane while driving is if you gassed up on your way. I always fill before picking up the trailer and haven't gone far enough to need gas on the way yet.....so I'm always running propane while traveling. Just wish my outdoor fridge ran on it too!
canadiankid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:16 PM   #13

Not sure of the structural issues that would create...

Do you have a skylight?

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
Old 03-26-2016, 12:26 PM   #14

I've never heard about that and I've been rving 15 years in Canada
2017 F-350 Platinum CC SRW
klassic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016, 12:29 PM   #15

In the US, you need to shut it down while fueling, or for example, traveling through long tunnels

2014 Eagle 30.5 RLS
Old 03-26-2016, 12:54 PM   #16

Echoing what has been said regarding changing to 6volt batteries. I still have the two 12s on my rig, but when the time comes to change them out, I will change to the 6s. I did so on two of my previous rigs and got longer performance.

Regarding the fridge. There is lots of conversation on this. Some places it's illegal to travel with propane in the on position. Still, I was one who used to travel with my fridge running on propane until I had my 5er which was the first rig I had that had a fridge that would run on the 12VDC system during transit. The CPU/circuit board receives a signal which detects the 12VDC charge from the vehicle running. Once you stop and shut down the fridge will stop running on the 12VDC and attempt to change over to gas or electric. If no signal is detected, the fridge will just shut down.
Most RVs built these days have this ability. Yet, when the fridge is running on 12VDC it is at a very minimal mode barely enough to maintain the current temp. However, changes in insulating and door latching have made RV refrigerators more efficient with regards to keeping things cool. I have since stopped running the fridge when traveling. There really is no need. If you run it up a day or two prior to a trip, things will stay cool for 6-8 hours (depending on outside climate), with negligible loss in temperature which will be ineffectual to the contents inside. Living in Alaska, I have made the run to the lower 48 and traveled as long as 10 hours without the fridge running and everything that was supposed to be frozen stayed frozen and no food spoiled. With my old rig, I even made the trip utilizing the ferry from Washington. During transit, I could only visit the RV a couple times per day to let the dog out to do her business. During the morning visit, I would turn the fridge on (propane, which the ferry said was a no no but they didn't know) and during the afternoon visit I would shut it off. This gave me only an 8 hour run time during a 24 hour day. Again, everything kept just fine and nothing spoiled.
Apologies for rambling on; my point is this, though many people do it, there really is no need for travel with the fridge running if you are just doing a weekender type of trip; where you commute from home to camping is 4 hours or less.
2021 Argo Aurora 8x8/2008 Arctic Cat M1000 SnoPro
Previous: Komfort 5er/Jamboree MH/Lance Cabover/Jayco Whitehawk 25BHS TT
NVGun40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 01:08 AM   #17

Thanks for all your input. I was able to drastically reduce the noise from my water pump so I'm at least on the winning side so far.
Old 03-27-2016, 04:38 AM   #18

For cleaning water (and debris) off the slide-out roof, I use a sponge mop. I place my portable ladder against the middle of the slide, and can push water and debris from the center off both ends.

Works for me!
Old 03-27-2016, 08:00 AM   #19

Forget the 110 inverter fridge idea, no one does that and like said the fridge will hold temp for several hours. Key is to load frozen food to the freezer and pre cool the fridge stuff at least 24 hours before heading out. Do not load up a case of cokes the morning you pull out.

Get a bit of experience or as you're doing check with the forum before jumping on mods that might not be a wise investment.

Window in the bathroom??? Why??? Just go between 2 wall studs and clamp on a sized rv window, but typically wall space is hard to find in an RV bathroom. Bird watching or gazing at the sunrise might be better done while sitting in the salon drinking the am coffee.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2016, 08:20 AM   #20

Being a Ham radio guy I would use the almost free area inside the the 12" x24" shelf that runs along the front X213 wall.

This inside area is just on the other side of the trailer tongue where large battery bank can be installed and an excellent spot to mount Inverters - Panels - Battery switches etc... There is hardly anything on the inside of the wall unit.

Of course if you have kids and have to use the storage room for beds then all of this may be out the window for you...

Since there is only two of us camping I would gut this room and put up a wall about 2-feet in from the outside door and make that a smaller storage area for outside things. Then the rest of the room could be use for a L-SHAPED DESK with Hutch for all our Office needs as well as supporting my Ham Radio Operations... Might look something like this...

The L-shape desk from OFFICE DEPOT would have to be cut back to fit on the L portion of the desk.

You also have a few areas to add pull out storage containers next to the fridge and the Ward cabinet... The access area behind the ward cabinet is interesting as well...

We were very interested in the X213 back in 2009 but never did it... I could make this unit work great camping off the power grid where we like to camp 99% of the time...

Roy Ken
RETIRED DOD DOAF DON CONTRACTOR Electronics Tech 42YRS

"We're burning daylight" - John Wayne
2008 STARCRAFT 14RT OFF-ROAD POPUP with PD9260C and three 85AH 12VDC batteries
2010 F150 FX4 5.4 GAS with 3.73 gears - Super Cab - Towing Package - 2KW Honda EU2000i Gen
K9PHT (since 1957) 146.52Mhz
"We always have a PLAN B"
RoyBraddy is offline   Reply With Quote