Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 10-03-2019, 05:56 AM   #1

New to RV'ing - Jay Feather help

Hi all! I'm in my 50's and jumping into the RV world late in life - My wife and I are in the process of purchasing a used 2016 Jay Feather 22BHM from a private owner. The camper appears to be in good shape, but I'm a novice and not sure what to look for to ensure the unit is sound. I have looked through out all the cubbies and cabinets for any sign of water intrusion and have found none. The bottom of the camper has a plastic barrier - not sure what is under there or if I should remove to inspect. Also am not sure how to judge the state of sealant on roof / seam areas. Any issues with delamination of the fiberglass on these units? Any suggestions for a critical inspection list / procedure would be much appreciated. Should I hire someone to inspect the unit prior to purchase?
TAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 06:45 AM   #2
Site Team

First of all, welcome to the forum. As an owner of a 2017 22BHM, I can tell you that they are absolutely solid units. Mine has seen hundreds of nights of use and has traveled up and down the east coast multiple times with just a few minor problems.

You really do need to get up on the roof and look around at the roof membrane itself and all of the sealant. Once you are up there, it will be really obvious if there are problems. Look for holes or tears in the membrane, cracks in the sealant, etc. Don't panic if you find some minor issues. As long as there is no water damage, a little self leveling lap sealant or enternabond tape and you will be ready to go.

Pull out the outside kitchen and look underneath to make sure that the strut arm mount hasn't pulled up from the floor. It is an easy fix if it has. Just drill some new holes and put some drywall anchors in and it will hold well.

Walk around around inside and look for any areas where the floor may be soft. On the feathers it isn't necessarily from water damage but usually from the laminate sandwich floor construction getting some give in it from traffic and wear. Again, not a deal breaker if some is there. There are lots of ways to mitigate that problem or prevent it from happening.

That's all I can think of for now. Please feel free to ask any additional questions. I'll be happy to help if I can.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 08:45 AM   #3
Site Team

Welcome to the Forum from Western New York State! Have the owner start up the refrigerator for a day, prior to you getting there, to check it's operation. Then make sure the furnace works properly. After those, fire up the water heater (both electric and gas) to ensure its proper operation. This may take some time to check, allowing for the water to cool enough, so it will start up on the other source. The electric side will be silent, but when it starts on gas, you'll hear the burner.

Underneath, above the coroplast covering, are the fresh water, black water, and gray water tanks. There's generally no need to see above it, unless there's obvious damage to it.

If you know anyone that owns, or did own a camper, and you trust their judgement, ask them if they'd mind looking it over, also. An extra set of eyes never hurts.

If you're on your own, look at it twice. Sometimes the second time around, you pick up on things you didn't see the first time. Lastly, trust your gut. Good luck on your experience.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:03 AM   #4
Site Team

Welcome to JOF. If you are not sure and don't have a friend that could offer some camping expertise, I would consider having a reputable and qualified person inspect and advise you of their opinion. Nothing wrong with knowing what you are buying up front. Don't expect it to be perfect but it should not be a money pit to make it usable for your needs. Particular attention to verifying all appliances work and the roof openings don't show signs of neglect.

Visit some YouTube videos on delamination. If you see some it's a deal breaker for me as it indicates other problems that are expensive to correct.
You should be able to see it from an angle.

I hate to say it but the advice of the seller is not a dependable source IMO. I have looked at 2 friends rigs lately and told them to stay away but they had the can't help it's and purchased anyway.

Now they are suffering from lack of judgement.

Good luck and I hope you get the camping bug and it brings you many years of great times and memories.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 09:10 AM   #5

Great information! Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience and expertise. My wife and I will giving it a 2nd look this weekend - if all goes well, we'll be bringing her home. Is an anti-sway bar a critical piece of equipment for towing that size rig?
Old 10-04-2019, 09:19 AM   #6
Site Team

I use an Andersen WD/Anti Sway hitch with mine. Yes, I think that it is necessary. I've pulled mine a few times just on the ball with my Cummins Ram and I don't like the way it feels, even with that heavy truck.

Old 10-04-2019, 01:16 PM   #7

Make sure you get all the Owner's manuals for the RV and all appliances. Ask to see any service receipts as well as any receipts for repairs. Ask if there is any records of service for the wheel bearings and brakes. Ask to have them hook it to a tow vehicle so you can verify the lights and brakes work.

I would also look around for a Mobile Tech and ask how much he would charge to help you with an inspection. Money well spent and it could help you decide to buy or pass.
Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:32 AM   #8

Thanks - again. Brought her to her new home on the ball only - and yes, I didn't like the way it felt either. I will be purchasing an anti-sway set up before she moves again. Now that she's mine, I have a few discoveries / questions:
1st - one side of the camper has a few areas on the fiberglass that seem different - see pic.
2nd - does the leaf spring device and wheel position look right in this pic? I don't know if the position would change if I backed up a bit (my last motion while positioning the trailer was pulling forward)?
3rd - the previous owner left me with a 3/4 full black tank - any recommendations on portable waste carts? Campsite dump is not accessible to the trailer itself.
Thanks again-
Old 10-09-2019, 10:00 AM   #9

pictures would help

Old 10-09-2019, 10:19 AM   #10

Can't see any photos, but regarding the 3/4 full black tank, it's probably just the sensor. Leave the water and water pump off and look down the toilet with a bright flashlight and see if you can see the bottom of the tank......or anything else...
Old 10-09-2019, 10:38 AM   #11
Site Team

Toss a couple of scalding hot buckets of water down the toilet and let it sit. Just be careful not to burn yourself. It usually works for me to clean off the sensors in that black tank.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:49 PM   #12

Having trouble posting pics - ?? Is there a trick? I'm copying url from google photos and pasting in link.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:54 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAllen View Post
Having trouble posting pics - ?? Is there a trick? I'm copying url from google photos and pasting in link.

Go to the reply tab. When you scroll down, you will see a section that says "Attach Files". Upload them there from your device.

Old 10-09-2019, 07:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAllen View Post
Did you go into your Google settings and OK sharing photos? You have to give your permission in order to share your photos.
Old 10-16-2019, 12:24 PM   #15

Buy a $30.00 moisture detector from Lowe’s or HD. Use it around the windows, around the toilet and shower, along the walls next to the roof, you get the idea.
Marmot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 04:26 PM   #16

Spend a few dollars and have a professional independent inspection done.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:55 PM   #17

I purchased one of those and it was a bit squirrelly. It would go up and down quickly with no movement of the probes. I couldn't trust it. Any suggestions on how to use it?
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote