Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-13-2021, 10:27 PM   #1

New to site with TT questions

Hi I am new to the site but old to the rv life. The wife and I are retired and are looking to purchase a new TT. We sold a Class C and now want to spend more time traveling so looking at the new Jayco 330RSTS TT. Just wanted to know the opinions of Jayco owners that have a larger TT. We love the 330RSTS but were thinking it may be to large of a rig to tow. The truck will pull it no problem but we were thinking at 40 ft. as a bumper pull it might be too large to travel from place to place. The sales person says no problem but some of my friends say too big. I would probably tow it with a Hensley Hitch. If any of you have and input that would be much appreciated. Hope this is ok to post here. If not let me know where to post as like I said I am new to site. I am hoping if it is in the wrong place you can teach this old dog a new trick of how to navigate the site. Thanks in advance for any and all comments. Don't want to pull the trigger if most think it will be a mistake. Thanks Jim
Mitziebikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 10:44 PM   #2
Site Team

Welcome to the Forum from Western New York State! We're glad you've joined us!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 11:43 PM   #3

Thank you. Look forward to enjoying the Forums..
Old 01-14-2021, 04:06 AM   #4

Welcome and Congrats from Texas Panhandle.
We pull a 37’8” TT and have no problems. Taking a couple of extended trips per season(couple of thousand miles), trying to limit per day travel to 300ish miles, so we have several day to day tows until reaching our destination then stay for a week or so then travel back.
We personally enjoy this kind of travel, no hurry to get there stopping to smell the roses, IMHO.
Wineguard G3 portable sat system & H24 receiver
2013 Harley Triglide
2 Yorkies
cbeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 05:54 AM   #5

Mitziebikes,

WELCOME to The Forum! You've come to the right place! Folks here are always happy to give opinions or offer advice/help when asked.

It all depends on how and where you'll be using your new TT. If you plan on boondocking or camping in state/national parks, you may have trouble finding a site big enough for a 40' trailer + your TV (tow vehicle). My bumper pull is 30' long, and it barely fits in some state park sites - especially if I'm just overnighting and don't want to disconnect. SP/NP roads are typically quite narrow, so backing in with my nearly 22' truck can be a challenge, as well. Especially if the campground is full and other campers have their tow and visitor vehicles parked along the roads.

If, however, you stay mostly in private campgrounds with pull-through sites, you shouldn't have any problems. Perhaps, if you tell us a little bit more about how and where you plan to use it, and how long your typical stay might be, we could be a little more helpful.

Whatever you end up selecting, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
HAPPY CAMPING!
Old 01-14-2021, 10:18 PM   #6

The listed TW is 1320 pounds. Actual will likely be higher. What is your tow vehicle?
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:12 PM   #7

The trailer says 11995 lbs. I ordered a 2021 ram 3500 with the HO cummins. Long bed so it says it will tow 23000 bumper pull. Could be a little up or down once it is built. I did load it up pretty good so might be a little less. I have a ram with the 5.9 now and it would be right at the limit. My truck now is a 2500 and the reason I am going with the 3500 single rear wheel is it will be the last truck I will ever buy. Hoping we make the correct decision on this being the last rv we buy. We like a 30 ft Rockwood but figure it might feel small if in it for more than a few weeks. We have been spending 3 weeks every year at the lake and we felt like the 24ft C was not enough. Would love a bigger A but we figure we would have to still tow a vehicle and can't buy a truck and a diesel pusher both. So truck and trailer it is.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:17 PM   #8

We like boondocking and still would like to do that. Our stays I would think would be a min. of two weeks. We have been spending 3 weeks each year at the lake and plan to take at least a couple of trips cross country. We would be in no hurry so timing would be no problem. Our Class C we sold we used in the winter and snow but at this age we are not into the cold anymore. We just don't like camp sites like here in Ca where they are so close together.
Old 01-21-2021, 03:25 PM   #9

Long rig

We have a Jayco 33RBTS measuring 38 ft bumper to ball. Tow it with a Ram 3500 single wheel crew cab long bed. Around ~60ft total length. So far no issues getting into and sites. That being said I do have to be careful not to get into a place where I can’t get turned around. Also need to watch where we stop for fuel so we can get in and out.
We really like the extra space of the longer trailer. Upgraded to the ram from a F250 short bed and couldn’t be happier.
DKNIGH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 04:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKNIGH2 View Post
We have a Jayco 33RBTS measuring 38 ft bumper to ball. Tow it with a Ram 3500 single wheel crew cab long bed. Around ~60ft total length. So far no issues getting into and sites. That being said I do have to be careful not to get into a place where I can’t get turned around. Also need to watch where we stop for fuel so we can get in and out.
We really like the extra space of the longer trailer. Upgraded to the ram from a F250 short bed and couldn’t be happier.
Thank You. I will be towing with the Ram 3500 HO long bed also like I mentioned above. Are you happy with the quality of the Jayco? Thank you in advance for your response..
Old 01-21-2021, 05:12 PM   #11

Jayco

Love the new Jayco! Only “issue” is the outside shower is junk. I had to zip tie the hose inside the compartment or it would keep falling out and dangle there going down the road. The lock on the compartment doesn’t stay shut. We have never needed the outdoor shower anyway.
Kids love their own bunk room and wife loves the kitchen island. And if they are happy then I’m happy.
DKNIGH2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2021, 05:18 PM   #12

Thanks. Like they say, Happy Wife Happy Life..
Old 01-21-2021, 05:19 PM   #13

Small gets you into more places, easier to maneuver, possibly cheaper to own and operate.

Bigger is more comfortable and you have plenty of truck to pull it with.

My wife convinced me to go small and no slide and it turned out to be almost perfect for us. I could use a bit more room in the bathroom. We take a 6 to 8 week trip each summer and lots of weekends and only want bigger units when watching Josh the RV Nerd on YouTube. Then something closer to 30 starts looking really good.
Old 01-21-2021, 05:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
Small gets you into more places, easier to maneuver, possibly cheaper to own and operate.

Bigger is more comfortable and you have plenty of truck to pull it with.

My wife convinced me to go small and no slide and it turned out to be almost perfect for us. I could use a bit more room in the bathroom. We take a 6 to 8 week trip each summer and lots of weekends and only want bigger units when watching Josh the RV Nerd on YouTube. Then something closer to 30 starts looking really good.
We had a Class C and just want more room. There is a Rockwood 30ft we like but want a slide in the bedroom for sure. As far as Josh the rv Nerd goes, I love watching his videos. He is the best one that does rv videos I think. We gave to his Go Fund Me he did for a gal that works for him and came down with cancer. I have been meaning to message him and see how she is doing. Thanks for the input..
Old 01-21-2021, 07:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitziebikes View Post
We had a Class C and just want more room. There is a Rockwood 30ft we like but want a slide in the bedroom for sure. As far as Josh the rv Nerd goes, I love watching his videos. He is the best one that does rv videos I think. We gave to his Go Fund Me he did for a gal that works for him and came down with cancer. I have been meaning to message him and see how she is doing. Thanks for the input..
Which is why there isn't any one perfect RV. A bedroom slide wouldn't make our list. Plus we're happier with a queen bed and more storage.

We don't have a TV in ours. We're both teachers and summer becomes fun reading and playing games. She sees those 50" televisions and aesthetically is turned off. We know we're in the minority with that.

The only two issues I have with mine is I'd like about 4 inches of additional knee space on the toilet and an easy way to run solar wiring to the battery. Ok, and a bathroom heat vent, but I'm adding that.

We've binge watched his channel for hours. We've even joked about heading to Coldwater, Michigan from Texas for our next purchase.

Good luck on your purchase.
Old 01-21-2021, 10:03 PM   #16
Site Team

snipped...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
She sees those 50" televisions and aesthetically is turned off. We know we're in the minority with that.
We're in that minority too. Had a TV in our stationary 33' Wilderness, but that was three campers ago. We'd rather watch a campfire at night.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:06 PM   #17

Lol, I made sure to get a trailer without a tv.

Books, campfires, hiking, canoeing, fishing, stargazing (breakout the telescope), sunrises and sunsets. ...sigh...

Ready for spring.
Old 01-22-2021, 10:33 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamSpartacus View Post
Lol, I made sure to get a trailer without a tv.

Books, campfires, hiking, canoeing, fishing, stargazing (breakout the telescope), sunrises and sunsets. ...sigh...

Ready for spring.
Lol, I am the exact opposite. I have a tv to go to sleep with. I don't watch a lot of tv but have had ringing in my ears for years and the right ear is the worst. If I go to bed and don't have a tv to listen to all I hear is the ringing. My wife had a hard time getting used to it but now she falls asleep before me most nights. We definitely are outdoor people. We boat and have small motorcycles so we are always outside. One of my problems is I can't hike or walk real good so the site seeing is limited for me. I was in a motorcycle accident 46 years ago and am still messed up from it. Do the best I can with the body I have left. lol There is so much more of our beautiful country to see before I leave the planet so want the next trailer to be the last..
Old 01-27-2021, 01:34 PM   #19

We have the 29RLDS (33ft hitch to bumper). Did a x-country trip last year (101 days/16,600 miles) and thought it was too big for that situation. A 26 to 29 footer would have been perfect. We love our trailer and the room when we are sitting around 4 to 5 days at a time but not when moving every day or so...
Love Josh the Nerd, very down to earth knowledgeable...

2017 Jay Flight 29RLDS
2018 F250 CCSB 6.2
2015 F150 SCSB 2.7TTEB (gone)
Equalizer WD
JJVDAV98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 02:16 PM   #20

Jim,

This past fall I purchased this exact 2021 model as my wife and I loved the design. I know I am going to get beat up here and by no means condone this but I did tow this trailer 3 times before winter with my 2018 GMC Denali 1500 with the 6.2l and some installed airbags. The trailer was towed from PA to Central New York where I live as well as to Cape Code and again to the Adirondack Mountains and I had no absolutely no issues. (luck, yes probably)

With that said, I know this truck is too light for this application, however this is a leased vehicle that I am trading in this summer to purchase a 2500 of some brand yet to be determined . Yes the trailer is huge but we loved the layout and are in the midst of planning a cross-country trip this coming summer once I retire and I have full confidence that with the truck/trailer combination, it will meet our needs perfectly.

Hope this helps...please feel free to reach out with any additional questions you may have about this trailer. Good luck....Shawn
JohnyUtah324 is offline   Reply With Quote